The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 8 Ch. 40 - Sending Off

Fed-Kun's army
...did mei mei fall for that strategist??? OH NO I HOPE NOT... MEI MEI...

safljkdfsklj jinshi and mao mao kill me they're so cute and funny lmfaoooooo I LOVE THEM <3333

thank you so much for all the translations!!

Dex-chan lover
i bet that this new belly-dancing dress of her will be featured on the cover of volume 8 .

page 3 : is this littering ? she just discards her coat and her hair-tie , lol .

page 5 : she is referring to chapter 4 : a crazy girl was dancing on a wall : https://mangadex.org/chapter/24410/1

page 13 : the monocle guy has Unlimited Money Works , so nice , so good .

Alyssa, that's because Mao Mao wants the rare medicines, which Jinshi has to search and obtain as he promised them to her.
People hearing him search for rare medicines think he came down with some perhaps rare and hard to treat illness, hence looking for rare and powerful medicines.
That's why they sent him get-well flowers (because he is so popular).

guys what letter mao mao wondering if the strategist 've seen or not! and who did she want him to redeem? her mother or Mei Mei?

@MonaH my guess for the letter is, she only tell that her mother still alive and locked at the back
she give choices to the strategist you can redeem her or mei mei the only courtesan that close to him

Thanks for the translation!

Her mother may have been redeemed, but Mao is far too gone to ever have a normal family life. I realy hope that Mei Mei can be redeemed by someone, she seems like a good person. In other news the ship is sailing, albeit very slowly.

It's obvious on what Mei Mei last said that she has fallen for the strategist. Some people fall for intelligent(genius maybe? Something along that line) or narcissist(??? or cant explain but near of well known modern term "bad boys") people.

Dex-chan lover
Rakan is truly terrific. All the cases he talked abt with Jinshi and thus to Mao Mao were just him inviting her to play a human game of shogi.
I wouldn’t even be surprised if her kidnapping was orchestrated by him but that would be too much even for him...

Double-page supporter
@Sadrobot Nah, i doubt it. While he is terrific, he is incredibly protective of her, to the point of being annoyed that Jinshi put his hand on Mao's shoulder. And if he truly planned for it, he wouldnt let MaoMao work in the inner palace where he cannot access to in the first place

Dex-chan lover
@Scrwd At the same time, she’s sheltered from any other man too compared to her situation in the red light district with Ruo Men. But yeah I don’t think so too, it’s "too much even for him". ^^

Its somewhat sad yet realistic how the author has portrayed MaoMao's relationship with her biological parents- they might be intelligent people but they really weren't "parents" in the truest sense. The dad is kinda whimsical and the mother is just- i don't know- having some mental illness (unless the brothel environment is also playing a part in her metal state). Like I would think high ranking courtesans will be all the more cynical about human nature and customers promises. Yes if you are in love you will have hope no matter how much others convince you otherwise- but still, if she was sad or angry that MaoMao's father did not come back for her- she need not have taken out her frustration on the child.
In this sense, I like that MaoMao has empathy for her parents but is not unduly attached to them. She does not lead her father by his nose to her mother- she gives him a choice. And once she hears about who was bought, she is quite apathetic to it- neither joy nor sadness. Its amazing how the authors shows that the FL understands who really took her under their wings- blood relations can be close but too often the one you love and trust could just as well have no relation to you.

Users who are viewing this thread