The Dangers in My Heart

@Ataru the one with bigger yamadas
xak7dk.jpg

@punpun clearly you've been in a bubble then since you considered those people in the screenshot to be 'attention whore mongs' for 'sniping' a series boredom has no ownership or control over and not people with actual complaints who are tired of arrogant scanlators acting like they're the hottest thing since sliced bread.

@labanina so the fountains square doujins?

@Ataru
I do much prefer the current artstyle; IMO the art of the early chapters look quite flat and somewhat chaotic, like it's lacking a sense of depth and weight compared to later chapters - and the characters looked both a little deformed and rigid (i.e. Yamada's big line nose).

I think the drastic change in art suits the series' own overall evolution though - characters (most noticeably Yamada and Ichikawa) came off more archetypal and cold compared to now; diagetically, you could probably see it as Ichikawa coming to terms with his world and gaining a better understanding and appreciation of the quirks and particulars of people around him.

@labanina
lol

This (sexualising Yamada and Ichikawa in general, really) is actually what I feel most mixed about right now, but I realise, looking at the authors other works and even this series' not-so-subtle running gag of Ichikawa constantly splooging everywhere, this author loves her lewds. And I am fighting a losing battle.

But I'll always be in love with this series' show-not-tell style of storytelling, and all the little seemingly insignificant instances becoming arc motifs; like, I'm just now noticing that, in Ch.49, the two drinking simultaneously was meant as a virtual mutual kiss between them (from Yamada's perspective).

The fountain square doujinshi is ... well ... a doujinshi. It's okay for a quick read & chuckle, but it really pales when compared to the original.

@comeonnow

I rather prefer the current artstyle as well, but the earlier artstyle has its merrit too because it's more distinctive than what you'd normally get in a romcom (and more in line with her earlier works like mitsudomoe), albeit the body proportions sometimes look quite weird (I remember in particular that one color illustration which shows Yamada sitting on the lap of her friend Kobayashi. Yamada's head is way too small in that one).

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow Couldn't have said it better, the evolution of the art really compliments the evolution of the characters themselves in a sense.

I really like this manga, but I hate how there are way too many extra chaps. Just let me focus on the main story.

Dex-chan lover
The extras more often than not expand on the main chapters and / or add to their relationships. They're also big part of what makes the series so popular in Japan, and it's not like the author delays her main story to do them. Anyway I want moar of them, not less so I'm good lol :p

BROOOOO why did the author make Yamada so fucking smooth?!?! I know from how her personality is written she isnt being this smooth because shes experienced but because of the shoujo manga shes reading. But still she pulls the moves so damn hard on this boy like its almost not fair this boy has no choice in the matter hes been caught from ch 1 all the way there was no escape hes her property thats it. Shes just slowly making him realize it

Dmi

@EpicLazy "Property" is probably a tad extreme, lol. And I would have to reread the manga to determine when she began obsessing with and manipulating him, but I think she was disinterested romantically for a number of early chapters.

I like some other people think she's yandere, but I don't think it's going to be thrown in the reader's face. Most likely it'll just give Ichikawa chills while he's adding to his guro collection or something.

Dex-chan lover
You know I've been wondering, should this manga be tagged as "Ecchi", even though it's kinda light and not the main focus? Since the artist illustrations show Yamada in provocative positions and somewhat revealing clothing.

Contributor
@comeonnow

like, I'm just now noticing that, in Ch.49, the two drinking simultaneously was meant as a virtual mutual kiss between them (from Yamada's perspective).

Holy fucking shit, really? That actually makes a lot of sense, especially when you take a look at the most recent extra Norio did.

God, this manga is so good at showing all the little things and details, and they all really add up to something wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread