The Former Hero Wants To Live Peacefully - Ch. 7.5

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, it would be great to see someone pick this up. I really am curious to see where the plot is going to go with all those scumbags taking the reins of the kingdom.
I wonder what happened at the original scanlation group... They dropped this one rather too quickly

Dex-chan lover
Problem with revenge flicks is the execution.

Either it tends to peter out in the second half, and MC has some sort of plot-driven "mercy epiphany" (Death Mage)...
...or author has to spin up all sorts of horrid plot contrivances and saiyan powerups to keep writing chapters (Raul).
(Or: the MC mysteriously gets to keep their hands clean, since offscreen deus ex machina plot punishes for them.)

This novel was a bit unique in that the hero didn't really care. But still had to clean up the mess of the betrayers.
And rather than handle the fallout personally, it seems from what I've read, this leans towards the latter option.

It'd be interesting to read this as a SoL of someone outside the blast zone/implosion radius of their old party.
(As written in: Chose Comfort Over Strength -- the WN version.)

Dex-chan lover
I wonder what happened at the original scanlation group... They dropped this one rather too quickly
No idea. All I know is that Flame Scans is doing mostly Korean and Chinese stuff, with only one or two Japanese titles in the works.

Group Leader
Anyone knows how things are in the newest chapter? I just hope they get what they deserved.

Dex-chan lover
Problem with revenge flicks is the execution.

Either it tends to peter out in the second half, and MC has some sort of plot-driven "mercy epiphany" (Death Mage)...
...or author has to spin up all sorts of horrid plot contrivances and saiyan powerups to keep writing chapters (Raul).
(Or: the MC mysteriously gets to keep their hands clean, since offscreen deus ex machina plot punishes for them.)

This novel was a bit unique in that the hero didn't really care. But still had to clean up the mess of the betrayers.
And rather than handle the fallout personally, it seems from what I've read, this leans towards the latter option.

It'd be interesting to read this as a SoL of someone outside the blast zone/implosion radius of their old party.
(As written in: Chose Comfort Over Strength -- the WN version.)
Well the vengeance probability isn’t gonna be done by Mc, if anything I think the king is gonna incited the wrath of the holy goddess on the kingdom basically cause it to fall.

The mc who is mind his own business is gonna get more villagers….a lot more and over time the village will become a city, then the capital of a new kingdom with Mc put as king (he’s literally blessed by the goddess).

side note in death mage Van did get his vengeance then proceed to revive them then make them serve him forever that or eat their souls soooo not really merciful…..

Contributor
Well the vengeance probability isn’t gonna be done by Mc, if anything I think the king is gonna incited the wrath of the holy goddess on the kingdom basically cause it to fall.

The mc who is mind his own business is gonna get more villagers….a lot more and over time the village will become a city, then the capital of a new kingdom with Mc put as king (he’s literally blessed by the goddess).

side note in death mage Van did get his vengeance then proceed to revive them then make them serve him forever that or eat their souls soooo not really merciful…..
I'm reading the nove and
he didn't get his revenge on everyone who killed his mother yet, he doesn't even care about his classmates anymore.

Dex-chan lover
I'm reading the nove and
he didn't get his revenge on everyone who killed his mother yet, he doesn't even care about his classmates anymore.
its been a bit since I last read death mage but if i remember correctly he did get some vengence on the people that killed his mom

The Bioship/priest(whatever he was) that actually killed his mom is long dead and Van launches in a literal rage whenever he comes across the "Hero" but that all mostly stopped
when his mother got her new body and was alot more active in Vans life.

With his classmates he never really had rage at them more like spite (except at the beginning ) and what made him not really care about vengeance on them was
Both Vans Earth followers (forget their names) and his classmates daughter (the one that got together with the guys that shared his name) as the daughter was the only death mage in the world and van was empathatic towards her future (didnt want her to suffer like him)

Now the one that he actually a good amount of beef with is the Reincarnation God himself as most of Van's suffering is because of that guy and from what I read from spoilers Van scares the reincarnation out of him.

So yeah some vengeance.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
side note in death mage Van did get his vengeance
Not sure this is the right place, but wanted to counter.

He stops shattering souls the moment he gains control over the cycle of reincarnation. Mercy of pragmatism.
He's so mechanical, as soon as he controlled it -- the root mechanism of power -- he didn't need to shatter anymore.
It almost felt as if he had more humanity when he was initially reincarnated, than at the end when he became a robot.

I'm upset the ONE granted clemency -- the ONE survivor of his revenge -- is the ONE who deserved it the absolute least.
And I'm not talking about the dhampir girl; who was indoctrinated simply since she didn't know any better. He rightly punted on her.

Tying back to this: I really with authors wrote consistently motivated characters, start to finish, in their stories.
They get caught up too much in genre drift. Perhaps due to the nature of fad cycles. Perhaps nature of episodic publication.
(As opposed to writers who publish entire novels at once, in coherent chunks of their own direction. Even if unpopular.)

I'm even OK if author can provide meaningful reasons why their characters' motives change. If done well: shown, not told.
That was demonstrated in chapter 1 here, briefly, when hero acknowledged there was nothing he could do, and moved on.
Although I would have ideally liked to see his motivations and internal dialogue before that, leading up to the subjugation.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
X3
that girl like string and cloth that don't hide much, nice :3

Dex-chan lover
I see...my worries about the clothes seems to be on point and the author is conscious about it rather than mindlessly put "service" into the manga.

Dex-chan lover
That's one of the big differences between this Aqua and the more famous useless one: This one actually wears underpants.

Contributor
I thought something was weird over Sanya making Sara's revealing, practically immodest "dress" and praising it as "cute". Turns out Sanya was just a closet pervert. :dogkek:

Still, I gotta hand it to Noel for openly wearing that without kicking much of a fuss. Dude's really super chill by most male lead standards. Man really just wants his peaceful life.

Users who are viewing this thread