The Legend of Zelda: Oath of Lilto - Vol. 4 Ch. 15 - Final Battle!!

Group Leader
Afterword translated by Ammon

Title: To all those who loved “Lilto”, thank you so much!!

I learned a lot about artistic quality while making the “Lilto” series. Usually, in order to expand and deepen the artistic “sensibility” that allows me to come up with interesting stories and ideas, I travel to various places and meet new and interesting people. I cherish each day where I can do this.

Under these circumstances, I asked myself “what do I really want to do?” when I was drawing manga ...and a certain question arose. Maybe I should make drawing manga my job… that’s probably why I feel sick lately… If it’s just me drawing and I find it fun, it’s not work. But if I treat it as a job, I can’t help but feel compulsion from society or my company to draw good manga. I’m not skillful enough to draw set pieces (It’s very hard to aim for a weekly serial like this).

If I reflect on things like this, I won’t be able to sleep at night, so I stop worrying and I switch to positive thinking. I think to myself “I want to read that right now!” as an impetus for the desire to draw manga… what is it that I want to read? Am I thinking too much? No, if I don’t think about this, I won’t get specific about what I want to read. Something like that can’t be conveyed to the reader. What I want to read = what I want to draw. At this point, I realized that I didn’t have the basic skills I needed to convey the story in an interesting way to the reader, so I started watching movies, reading books, doing research, and just learning how to write a story from scratch…

Page 189

After all, since I have less passion for drawing manga than most other manga artists, I can’t work unless I have these things in mind all the time, because I’m a lazybones.

This may be true not just for manga artists but also for people in other professions, but there are some people who tell themselves “I work hard at this because I want to be rich and famous.” and there are some who say “I work hard at this because I need to feed my family.” And some people say, “I have no choice but to work.”

That being said, in Japan (which is said to be a “take care of yourself first” sort of place) there is a lack of more universal work values such as “what do I want to do in this job?” If you don’t set goals for yourself (and you don’t have your own priorities) you may end up facing the reality of being swayed too much by the demands of your company, being taken advantage of, and then being thrown away.

People often say “being busy is a good thing,” but what they really mean is “it’s better than having nothing to do.” The word “busy” actually means “dead in the heart.”

What about you? Is your heart okay?

...I want to live a life where when I die I can be proud, where I can say “I have no regrets.”

This is “The Oath of Junya Furusawa” –

April 1997

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread