The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 26 Ch. 107 - A New Awakening

Dex-chan lover
1200x1200bf-60.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I can only disagree. Even when he's being unlikeable, it's at least sometimes portrayed in a "cartoonish comic relief" kind of way, so there are plenty of times where you can just call him a bumbling buffoon and move on. Plus, he's currently not nearly as bad as he was at the beginning of the story, I think.

No such luck with Malty Bitch, whose schemes and manipulative tendencies constantly bring out the worst in her victims—Motoyasu being one of them, even—by preying and capitalizing on their insecurities. There is truly not a single redeemable bone in that body of hers, and it is never, ever played for laughs; she is just a vile human being, through and through.
I dont have a genuine dislike for Bitch not cause I like her but cause shes comically evil and was designed to be hated same way Shou Tucker or Griffith were written to be hated. You're meant to hate them. I have more dislike for characters that werent meant to be hated the entire time cause thats just a sign of bad writing

Motoyasu is just narcissistic, annoying, and does not do the comic relief role well. I do think hes just as bad as the beginning of the story just in a different way. His single mindedness on Filo as his oshi to escape reality and refusing to talk or listen to anyone is just as shitty cause it follows the trend of being willfully ignorant. I havent read the novel but based on other comments and how he is in the spinoff he definitely wont be getting any better. I love himbos but he is the worst himbo of all. Dumber than a bag of hammers, ignorant, sexist, and an actual pedophile

I can only disagree. Even when he's being unlikeable, it's at least sometimes portrayed in a "cartoonish comic relief" kind of way, so there are plenty of times where you can just call him a bumbling buffoon and move on. Plus, he's currently not nearly as bad as he was at the beginning of the story, I think.

No such luck with Malty Bitch, whose schemes and manipulative tendencies constantly bring out the worst in her victims—Motoyasu being one of them, even—by preying and capitalizing on their insecurities. There is truly not a single redeemable bone in that body of hers, and it is never, ever played for laughs; she is just a vile human being, through and through.
Yeah but malty is the villain. She’s supposed to do despicable things like that. It drives the plot forward. Hell the series wouldn’t be a third as good without her.

Meanwhile Motoyasu is supposed to be a hero, someone who helps people like naofumi and the general populace and opposes people like malty and the three heroes church. Yet because of a combination of dilution and arrogance he does the exact opposite and continues to do so regardless of the consequences and results until the villains throw him under the bus.

He truly is not worthy of being the spear hero.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah but malty is the villain. She’s supposed to do despicable things like that. It drives the plot forward. Hell the series wouldn’t be a third as good without her.

Meanwhile Motoyasu is supposed to be a hero, someone who helps people like naofumi and the general populace and opposes people like malty and the three heroes church. Yet because of a combination of dilution and arrogance he does the exact opposite and continues to do so regardless of the consequences and results until the villains throw him under the bus.

He truly is not worthy of being the spear hero.
A map that has a mountain doesn't have soil in it. You understand this, yes? A representation of something, such as the word "hero", is not that something.
In-universe, Motoyasu is a hero, as a person with high combat ability. He is the person of high combat ability of the spear.
Narratively, he is not a hero, because he is not the principal character of the story. He is a foil. He exists to show the heighten the contrast between Naofumi's character traits and the rest of the characters. This is why he was also betrayed by Malty and acted differently from Naofumi, this is a method of characterization called characterization through contrast.
Motoyasu is not supposed to be someone who helps people. Narratively speaking, he is supposed to fuck things up. Effective character writing is not making every character a flawless paragon of righteousness. Doing that creates a phenomenally boring and predictable story. He screws things up as a method of enhancing the storytelling.

Supporter
At least in this version they don't just continue to drink and party in a half-destroyed building that could collapse at any moment. (wtf anime?)

Users who are viewing this thread