The Saga of Tanya the Evil - Vol. 24 Ch. 71 - Scorched Autumn I

Dex-chan lover
Damnit, I really really like this Manga but there are a whole bunch of 1870’s-1940’s RL politics, decisions, alliances, and tech that are portrayed so wrong it’s literally painful to read at times.

I know the battles and events each chapter portray very well (this one is obviously the prelude to the Torch landings) but the events that lead up to it make absolutely no sense. Torch was done to gain a foothold to start the invasion of Italy who aren’t involved in this conflict. And all that was done as a reason to take pressure off the Soviet front who are also not involved. However if for some reason the alliance between the FFR, UK and US decided it was required for some reason why would the Germans only send 3 divisions? Or if they only had 3 divisions to spare why the hell wouldn’t they pull them back to mainland Europe and let the allies have Africa? There are no strategic resources (that are known at that time at least) in the vast majority of the Sahara, and if for some reason they wanted to keep a foothold, Alexandria and the Suez Canal would be so much easier to defend and supply than a massive force covering hundreds of kilometres and being at the extreme range of supply.

And each chapter has these little niggling details that make you ask WTF. But I’ll keep reading because even with the WTF moments the art is beautiful, the storyline of Tanya herself and her Battalion is interesting, and her way of always getting the opposite of what she wants is funny. But FFS the cognitive dissonance hurts.
I think your confusion comes from thinking this story is going like the real life WWI when it is not.
"Germany" in this story is fighting a defensive war, they don't want to conquer anything yet so it makes sense that they wouldn't care for Africa. Also you have to remember that this world has magic so tactics and otherthings will change to represent that and so forth.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes De Lugo's brilliant plan to throw millions of young men into a meat grinder. Even after losing their home country, he will brilliantly bleed even their colonies dry. Even if they win, they'd be reduced to a vassal of the other great powers for decades thanks to a lost generation and no amount of war reparations will fix that. Not to mention what tenuous hold they have on their colonies would surely fall apart. The old men were right. Winning is pointless if you don't have the resources left to support your reclaimed territory.

Dex-chan lover
de lugo is now one scary mf since no one is going to keep him in check with those greedy pigs gone

the battle of warships was confusing af since i don't know who's outmaneuvering who lmao it was easy before world war arc since the POV we get is either imperials or enemies, neither both and confusing. now, we get the simultaneous POV of romel and de lugo and it's just confusing since there's no markers of whose country's battleship is fighting the imperials, also doesn't help when they say "the battleship isn't free fracois republic", it just basically says someone is helping de lugo fighting the war. i guess i can only wait for the anime since this works best there.

ah yes the signature and iconic misunderstanding joke. never fails to make me smile lol

i just realized tanya's hairstyle in now short hair since before this was somewhat of a wolf cut with pigtails or something.

ain't no way that guy got away with that dumbass disguise lmao it's basically cosplay. even the whole platoon didn't even suspect a thing. is this how the DND nat 20 works? LMAO

it's weird that she carries 2 rifles lol

Dex-chan lover
Theres no way she fell for that
No amount of costume can hide the fact that they are french men wt f
Not to mention their outrageous accents.
In case you missed the joke....

cCH.gif

Contributor
I know that the world of Youjo Senki has always been World War I with the serial numbers filed off, but Caesar exists in their world?

I’m surprised that Zen-sensei didn’t just bite the bullet and go “look, they’re German, but it’s an alternate history”

Dex-chan lover
Damnit, I really really like this Manga but there are a whole bunch of 1870’s-1940’s RL politics, decisions, alliances, and tech that are portrayed so wrong it’s literally painful to read at times.

I know the battles and events each chapter portray very well (this one is obviously the prelude to the Torch landings) but the events that lead up to it make absolutely no sense. Torch was done to gain a foothold to start the invasion of Italy who aren’t involved in this conflict. And all that was done as a reason to take pressure off the Soviet front who are also not involved. However if for some reason the alliance between the FFR, UK and US decided it was required for some reason why would the Germans only send 3 divisions? Or if they only had 3 divisions to spare why the hell wouldn’t they pull them back to mainland Europe and let the allies have Africa? There are no strategic resources (that are known at that time at least) in the vast majority of the Sahara, and if for some reason they wanted to keep a foothold, Alexandria and the Suez Canal would be so much easier to defend and supply than a massive force covering hundreds of kilometres and being at the extreme range of supply.

And each chapter has these little niggling details that make you ask WTF. But I’ll keep reading because even with the WTF moments the art is beautiful, the storyline of Tanya herself and her Battalion is interesting, and her way of always getting the opposite of what she wants is funny. But FFS the cognitive dissonance hurts.
It’s not our world, or ww1, or ww2
This is the only world war so far, it’s closer to interwar tech give or take, and it’s like 1935 or something. There are a lot of differences beyond just magic
Theres no way she fell for that
No amount of costume can hide the fact that they are french men wt f
Despite everything, Tanya’s still a kid. Frankly she’s been remarkably successful, even considering that she’s retained memory of much of her past life.

Dex-chan lover
I'd rather they do a movie of this arc instead of a season 2. This chapter got me pumped for a war flick.

Dex-chan lover

I mean, you said it yourself, Italy isn't involved but neither are the UK or the US. Officially the Empire's only remaining opponent is not-France and they've already captured the mainland, De Lugo here is supposed to only be leading remnants of their army and colonial forces. The frankly ridiculous amount of """secret""" backing from UK/US forces is the only thing prolonging the war.

Users who are viewing this thread