The Saga of Tanya the Evil

I'm fucking confused reading the first chapter, the fonts getting smaller and smaller too... I guess my eyes and brain aren't ready yet to read this..

@darknesspker it is good, if you like:
-a recurring misunderstanding of an specific aspect (tanya being a war lover/pacifist)
-hystory (there's a lot)
-reading (one of the mangas woth most reading I've ever seen, always read everything tho, its great)
-war tactics and war scenarios
-characterization (all the characters are memorable and easily recognizable)
-and plot progression (it feels how the plot advances and we are reaching completion as the war advances)
Then you will probably like this
If you dont like any of that, then this manga isn't for you

@YourTipicalMangaDexAccount - I see. I tried it before only reading a chapter or two before dropping it because I just thought she was an insane war lover and nothing more. I didn't know there was actually a story behind it as it just felt off to me back then. I'll give this a shot then considering it has been some time since I tried reading this.

All the translations I've found aren't past novel two and don't update very quickly, but here's the link: http://skythewood.blogspot.com/p/youjo-senki.html?m=1

I think the history/reality aspect has the depth of this neoliberal shill MC. About the level of a Western propagandist. NotGermany über allies! Evil commies! Enemies only have numbers! Kind of stuff. Generic line after generic line.

The fights lack of impact is the writers fault.
The mangaka's put to writing, a power so great its been uncontested, but for the past 20 volumes. Regardless of the challenge, power of skill reigns supreme. This is worsened by lacking or absent explanations.
Its almost like a drawn out parable.
Consequently, there hasn't really been a compelling story for, you know, 20 volumes.
Its not just the MC, its their unit too. Generic manga, MC strong, kill all enemies without consequences.

The story isn't trying as hard, to convince you to like it, or to "play up" events, as other manga. It doesn't set up scenes stylishly, or with great care.

I think there is discord in the fundamental elements of the story. Such a powerful main character, but with "such human" misunderstandings. It seems to lack self awareness.
The characters are like cardboard cut outs. Composed almost solely of RPG character tropes. It'd be nice if its on purpose though.

I think its a good manga, but its not "LOTGH" tier. So, if the average is 7.5, then its a low 8?
To appreciate it properly, read the LN. The manga is missing too much.

There's an overarching message I'm not understanding. I think. Its just been exposition thus far? Idk

Tried to filter my comments on the matter, to be a bit more sympathetic.

I'm gonna be honest -- loving this manga for the constant misunderstanding of the characters' intentions lol.
Thanks a lot to the scanlators~

You know, this series made me think about how few manga (none I've read) bring up the issue of menstruation, as if it doesn't exist. Que fuck, Japan?

Fed-Kun's army
This manga can be summarized with 3 words "war of missunderstandings" xD

@Jayrow

The manga is not even at the end of the anime season1 yet. Well the raw version is 10 chapters ahead and is now at the first 10 minutes of the movie.

I would HIGHLY recommend you read the manga from page 1 however since the anime due to time constraints cut loads of the plot and more detailed scenes.

For sake of reference the original proto-version of the story is a WEBnovel (free to find online - no longer canon), that got turned into a LIGHTnovel. Then an anime and manga both got made. Content wise its: LN = 100% plot content (ofc), Manga (80-90% + some more detail in fights f.i. - imo its the sweet spot between action and story), Anime (40%-50% - yeah not kidding sadly. Its a decent production and great voices, music etc but due to only having 12 episodes they had to cut soooooo damn much it is barely the same story and characters imo. Also the characters look better in the manga imo.)

Double-page supporter
@Gypsy36 Now that you mention it, I've only seen it mentioned in genderbend manga. Often used as a vehicle to make an mtf genderbended character be forced to face that she is a girl now.

Maybe you'll find it in a coming-of-age manga with a female lead? I haven't read any of those, but now I'm interested.

Anyone know why in the manga, the events happen one year later, calendar wise, compared with the LN? For example the attack on Os in Norden is on the 29th November 1925, while on the LN it is 29th November 1924. Just a change to give Tanya an extra year of age for the story? The Andrew Reports seems to be on the same year in both.

Edit: Checking more, the change happened at the start of volume 5. Up to volume 4 the dates were the same as the LN, with it being September 1924 as Dacia declared war at the end of the volume. But at start of volume 5 it says Dacia declared war on September 1925.

@chaostk

Odd indeed. Might be just a simple translation error however. Or the original made the mistake in the manga adaptation.

@Daelyas

I checked the Manga volumes RAW and it is the same as the translation, so not a translation error.

And a mistake seems a bit unlikely because all dates from volume 5 onward is one year after the dates from LN. If it was a mistake I would expect to be just in a date or two or at most a volume or two before someone pointed to the author and they corrected the dates from that point on.

So at least seems like it was a conscious decision of changing the dates.

Edit: Trying to check around online, seems like some Japanese believe the change was to correct a possible contradiction on the LN where Tanya is mentioned to be 11 years old when she started attending the Military Academy on 1924, albeit being born on 1914 means she would be 10 years old.

Anime also seems to have done a correction regarding that, but in the anime's case they listed her being born on 1913.

Users who are viewing this thread