The Student I'm Tutoring is in Heat - Please Don't Tease Sensei's Kurikuri

Power Uploader
were looking for japanese translators for this series and potentially others like it, please DM me or Inu (leader of the server) for more info

Group Leader
20180603-093628.png

Dex-chan lover
Where are the nipples?

@tathra
I still didn't watch this anime. What would you recommend, manga or anime of that?

Group Leader
@monkey123 honestly i don't even know what that's from, i just needed that kind of reaction image for stuff

Aggregator gang
Google Translate renders kurikuri as "a chestnut"; I'm presuming that there is a less polite society rendering intended with the title?

Then again, when I input the original characters, this is what Google Translate spews forth: "Do not touch the crickle of the teacher 's oestrous teacher"; this differs quite a bit from the English title as listed on this site. Crickle makes no sense using the meanings provided by the Oxford Dictionaries.

Which just confirms how important it is to know the context when translating.

Something to keep in mind with this storyline is that while it's coded ecchi & smut, it isn't coded hentai.

That it's coded romance is a trifle odd; it sure hasn't been romantic so far, everything that might be looked at as romantic has occurred under most non-romantic circumstances.
Yes, given one accepts his acting anything like this, the student has been showing an interest in making her a willing partner rather than a blatant rape victim. So he has been attempting to make things pleasant in regard to her physical response to stimulus. But that's a long stretch to go to it being a romance.

Contributor
well kuri is clit so translating kurikuri into english would be a bit ?

Group Leader
@Weasalopes lol, first of all, the fact that you have to use google translate, show that you don't even know the language to begin with, so you are in no place to correct the translator who know have the language running through their blood. Secondly, that's a computer generated translator, it hold no human understanding of languages whatsoever. So i suggest you something, before criticizing someone, make sure that you actually have the skill to :/

Aggregator gang
@Viopera

Hello?

I said that knowing the context is important in making translations; no computer translation program is going to be able to do that, obviously!

As I don't know Japanese, I have to use those tools available to me. Determining which of various possible translations is most relevant without having the proper background to recognize idiomatic phrases is difficult, to say the least. And, if the meaning in context differs because it's slang, or "impolite language", odds are good it's not going to show up in standard dictionaries or phrase books.

I do, however, know mainstream American English very well, and can say if something just doesn't make any sense as presented in American English. That said, even with American English there are problems with phrases common in one part of the country or within a social group that aren't understood outside of that group by native speakers. It gets even worse once you start looking at the variants of English that have developed elsewhere in the world. Ah, I should note that I do recognize that American English is an offshoot of British English, and not the mother tongue; my native language diverged from British English, not the other way around.

I wasn't intending any criticism of the translation, except that the word hadn't been translated at all! It had merely been converted into the Latin alphabet. No translation, no translator's note, nothing to aid a non-Japanese fluent individual in understanding what was going on. That is, after all, the entire reason for scanlating in the first place, isn't it?

Thus, I did my best to find out what the word meant, and finding that nothing made any sense to me, posted my process so that it would be clear that I had at least made some attempt on my part to determine what was intended with no useful results, in the hopes that someone would enlighten me as to what an appropriate English word or phrase would be for the Japanese in context.

Slamming me for admitting that I don't understand what is going on with a non-translated word, how nice of you. How friendly, welcoming, and encouraging.

How does one develop the skills to do these things if one never admits to not understanding and asking for help? I am not that arrogant!

And... isn't the reason why scanlating teams want assistance from native speakers in the language(s) they are translating is that while they have the knowledge of their own native tongue, they aren't going to understand the language(s) they are translating as well as a native speaker? That you need people capable of understanding what is meant in the original language in conversation with those who can assist in presenting the concepts in a manner that best conveys it in the target language? One individual having that level of understanding of both cultures is rare, so normally it works best to have a team involved.

OK. It is not my intent to start a flame war or anything. I do recognize that one paragraph above is uncomplementary; it's hard not to be, when responding to an antagonistic post. That said...

Ideally, we should be working together to improve our understanding of the stories here. That's what I was hoping for help with, understanding what was going on with this word.

It wasn't a word that I recognized as having been imported unchanged into the English lexicon of Anime/Manga loan words.

Since the word hadn't been translated, my presumption was that it was idiomatic or contextual, and that the translator wasn't able to determine an equivalent English terminology and thus settled for converting it into the Latin character set. My attempts at finding a translation via software confirmed that it wasn't amenable to a strict translation.

Thus, asking for help.

So...

Do you have any suggestions for how "kurikuri" should properly be rendered in English, given the context within the story?

Users who are viewing this thread