The Terminally Ill Young Master of the Baek Clan

Dex-chan lover
The Terminally Ill Young Master of the Baek Clan is a surprisingly entertaining read, perhaps especially so if you've had your share of murim and wuxia webtoons. It basically revolves around our main character who's pretty much doomed to die before the age of twenty because of his qi blockage, and his enlightened ancestor who is more than happy to help him on the journey of pure survival.

20 chapters in, and what we have here is a tight, competent story that isn't trying to jump the shark and start buffing the protagonist from chapter two. His development is slow, gradual and deliberate, and his mentor's advice is valuable not just in the realm of cultivation, but also his personal growth.
Without giving away too many spoilers, the "terminally ill" part of the title isn't going to be just waved off, and is becoming the driving force behind what you may call the first major arc.

I think what personally spoke to me was how the manhwa is treating the well-known genre clichés and character stereotypes. The stern father, the distanced brother, the scheming rival, the arrogant junior, the mysterious cold beauty etc. are shown as actual people – sometimes awkward and prone to making stupid mistakes, but undeniably human.
This tighter focus on a few chosen individuals, instead of some grand war between Heaven and Earth (which might or might not be coming eventually, we don't know yet), actually captures the reader's attention more successfully than a hundred all-out battles would.

Finally, on the technical side, the art is good, the world building is not too expansive at this point yet enough for the purposes of storytelling, and the humour is pretty on point more often than not! I would also say that Flame Comics translation, despite some awkward phrasing here and there (and a missed strip in chapter 2), would provide you with a better understanding of the story than Asura's.
Looking forward to reading more of this.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is an amazing series and i second everything Inori said above. If i were to criticize anything was that

The author did not take his time to introduce us to the relationship between him and his servant/subordinate, so her death wasn't as much of a powerful moment as it could have been

Users who are viewing this thread