The Villainess and Miss Demon Lord - Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
If Tapas doesn't swiftly release many more chapters, then Zephyr Scans can stay well ahead — if Zephyr Scans chooses to do so.

Dex-chan lover
If Tapas doesn't swiftly release many more chapters, then Zephyr Scans can stay well ahead — if Zephyr Scans chooses to do so.
any unofficial translation can stay ahead as long as they keep doing it whenever a new chapter comes out. Just check out any popular manhwa/manhua that is still translated, you will see that the unofficial translation is ahead of the official one.

It's because of the way these official translations work: they need to wait until there's a certain amount of chapters in the raw (20-30 chapters, it depends on the story) before they release the official translation. Meanwhile, unofficial translation can work day-and-night and will pump out the newest chapter whenever they can because they don't have any restriction.

that being said, in this case the Tapas team is much faster than Zephyr scans.

Dex-chan lover
any unofficial translation can stay ahead as long as they keep doing it whenever a new chapter comes out. Just check out any popular manhwa/manhua that is still translated, you will see that the unofficial translation is ahead of the official one.

It's because of the way these official translations work: they need to wait until there's a certain amount of chapters in the raw (20-30 chapters, it depends on the story) before they release the official translation. Meanwhile, unofficial translation can work day-and-night and will pump out the newest chapter whenever they can because they don't have any restriction.

that being said, in this case the Tapas team is much faster than Zephyr scans.
Yeah the official is nearly exactly 20 chapters behind. We're at 57, they're at 36. So right in that range.

Dex-chan lover
That's not to-the-point.

Unofficial scanlations are generally abandoned (if begun at all) if they haven't begun well ahead of official translations.

The Zephyr Scans effort could be kept ahead of the official translation, and will plausibly continue if the Tapas releases lag far behind, but not if the Tapas translations reduce the gap significantly.

Dex-chan lover
Unofficial scanlations are generally abandoned (if begun at all) if they haven't begun well ahead of official translations.
It really depends on the series. I follow lots of manhwa/manhua, and I've seen cases where the unofficial translation started earlier, got abandoned, had an official translation and then got another unofficial translation (either by the old group or a new group picked it up) and soon the unofficial translation surpassed the official one.

This is especially true for series done by group with their own pages, as they want more people to read on their sites, and they will translate any series that give them good number of views.

The Zephyr Scans effort could be kept ahead of the official translation, and will plausibly continue if the Tapas releases lag far behind, but not if the Tapas translations reduce the gap significantly.
what exactly does this mean btw? Tapas is currently at chapter 36, while Zephyr Scans is at 19. Zephyr scans is the one who is lagging behind.

Dex-chan lover
It really depends on the series.
Not a counter-argument. I didn't write
Unofficial scanlations are abandoned (if begun at all) if they haven't begun well ahead of official translations.
I wrote
We have perhaps all seen exceptions to what is typical, but our expectations are formed based upon what is most common.
what exactly does this mean btw?
Kinda dumb of you to react to my comments as dumb without first seeking clarifications, if you need them.
Tapas is currently at chapter 36, while Zephyr Scans is at 19. Zephyr scans is the one who is lagging behind.
Yes and no. Paywalled translations do deter scanlators, but not nearly so much as do free, licensed translations or even rival, free, unlicensed scanlations. If Tapas keeps most of their translations paywalled, then Zephyr Scans or some new scanlation group is rather likely to keep at it.

Dex-chan lover
Yes and no. Paywalled translations do deter scanlators, but not nearly so much as do free, licensed translations or even rival, free, unlicensed scanlations. If Tapas keeps most of their translations paywalled, then Zephyr Scans or some new scanlation group is rather likely to keep at it.

I'd disagree with the second sentence. In my experience, it seems the odds of series continuation is at best 70/30 (in favor of abandonment) in the case of paywalled official translation.

And even the ones that continue for a while often don't finish. The only series that actually finished fan translation after getting an official one at a similar point in my recent memory was Soulmates (also from Tapas).

I'd guess the motivation just sort of drains away over time when there's an alternative source, as long as the official one isn't tens of chapters behind.

Dex-chan lover
I'd disagree with the second sentence. In my experience, it seems the odds of series continuation is at best 70/30 (in favor of abandonment) in the case of paywalled official translation.

And even the ones that continue for a while often don't finish. The only series that actually finished fan translation after getting an official one at a similar point in my recent memory was Soulmates (also from Tapas).
I've seen many more cases of unlicensed scanlations continuing after licensed translations are being released. Perhaps more to the point, my second sentence was about the relative likelihood of three scenarii, with no claim that any one or combination of the three were more likely than its logical complement.
I'd guess the motivation just sort of drains away over time when there's an alternative source, as long as the official one isn't tens of chapters behind.
Here, you and I may agree; but we may disagree about the effects of paywalled chapters.

BTW, I'm not making any normative claims in all this.

Users who are viewing this thread