Tonari no Onee-san ga Suki - Vol. 2 Ch. 22 - I'm the worst

Dex-chan lover
LFG CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
thank you for the chapter
Same, 2 deep for my autistic brain, but it seems to be progress?

I think?
this is unlikely but i think the opposite of what's been happening recently is going to occur, he's going to think shia-san seriously doesn't care for him as a person and will try to distance himself from her

Dex-chan lover
LFG CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
thank you for the chapter

this is unlikely but i think the opposite of what's been happening recently is going to occur, he's going to think shia-san seriously doesn't care for him as a person and will try to distance himself from her
I think it’s more like he realizes that he has been trying to force his feelings on her hobby, while what she wants the most is someone to share her hobby with

Dex-chan lover
Don't let that movie be ruined for you because of this. Bad timing to have that realization.

Contributor
"I know you deserve someone better..."

That's a smoking gun right there, if anybody still had any doubts that Shia had low self-esteem and was insecure about herself.

Same, 2 deep for my autistic brain, but it seems to be progress?

I think?

So Tasuku finally realized the disconnect between their motivations to watch movies together.

He was only watching movies with her because he wanted to get closer, but she wanted to watch movies genuinely, as a hobby, with him. Because he previously wasn't really watching for the sake of enjoying the movie with her, her desire to be movie buddies with him is left unfulfilled and that makes her unhappy.

That allowed him to connect the dots with Shia's hurtful previous statement: she realized it before he did and tried to brush him off... because she was very frustrated — that he was clearly only watching movies with her as a means to act on his crush — and not out of a genuine desire to enjoy movies, with her.

He thinks he's the worst because he's in fact, been doing her a disservice all this time, until he started to enjoy movies himself.

"I know you deserve someone better..."

That's a smoking gun right there, if anybody still had any doubts that Shia had low self-esteem and was insecure about herself.
Possible But it can also be read as a "it's not you, it's me" type of thing, where she doesn't have the heart to reject him in more explicit and heart-wrenching terms. Whenever she's expressed similar thoughts in the past I interpreted it that way, that she simply wants to let him down gently.

Agree with the rest of your post though. In the chapter "Shia is looking at me" that point is made more clearly. She saw that for the first time he was genuinely engrossed in the movie, and not using it merely as a pretext to be with her, which imo was his first bit of strong character development. Ta-kun becoming a real movie buff in his own right is what she was always hoping for and will earn him big brownie points.

Users who are viewing this thread