Tougen Anki - Vol. 19 Ch. 160 - The First Time

Dex-chan lover
Not sure what the manga author was thinking trying to force the idea that there was a moral dilemma here. Dude tortured and murdered entire families for his own amusement and would continue to do so if not killed.

He was evil enough that there should be very little hesitation killing those that willingly chose to work for him (while knowing what he was doing), much less a moral dilemma killing Mr. Villain directly.

Dex-chan lover
Was this  really a moral dillema though? Like, I'm not sure the point is like "killing is baaaad" or whatever, but maybe to show just how batshit insane Momos are, sure the dude was objectively evil and deserves to die, but like Shiki said he was just a normal student not long ago, killing won't be easy for him, but now he's finally understanding that killing is the only choice, because there's no arguing with Momos, that vast majority has to be killed, that "good" Momos like his future husband are the outliers and the rest is pure evil.

I guess the point isn't if killing is bad or not, but that Shiki is scared what will be of himself after crossing this line, people love to talk about how evil characters deserve to die or worse and whine when protagonists hesitate, but let's be real here, an actual healthy, normal, sane person  will hesitate to kill, even if they know it  has to be done.

Shiki has no issues with Momos being killed, he's just scared of finally having blood in his hand and all that comes with it.
This isn't a moral dillema, but a personal dillema.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Yeah when the guy goading you to kill him is pretty much saying 'Dude, it's morally justified to kill me, I've done so much shit and-if given the chance-will do even MORE', it doesn't seem like the author's trying to go for a moral issue

This is about Shiki's ideals coming up against the harsh realities of this war, that sometimes there will HAVE to be someone that has to die

You ain't playing with guns anymore, Shiki, remember that.

Dex-chan lover
You ain't playing with guns anymore, Shiki, remember that.
I mean, technically he is, that's all his powers are about lol
This is about Shiki's ideals coming up against the harsh realities of this war, that sometimes there will HAVE to be someone that has to die
Until now he could basically ignore all the killing to some extent, because he saw it as surviving and saving people when possible.

Now he can't escape the reality of things, this is  war, and he needs to stop treating his guns, his powers, as a way to defend himself, he can't just "defeat" his enemies, he has to  kill them, because otherwise they'll only cause more pain and suffering later.

He finally has to accept the reality, it's kill or be killed, that no matter his ideals his hands will have blood, and that he'll be knee deep in bodies.

Honestly, this was a interesting chapter dealing with the hypocrisy of MC's wishful thinking / personal morals. Like dude only recently found out about his origins and really never was a part of the war until the momo's personally came and attacked. Before that he was a run of the mill teenager with a fascination for guns. The dude has never seen someone die in front of him until he got dragged into all of this and with that he still clings onto his innocence and, in turn, his personal morals. Killing may seem easy because "The guy is just evil incarnate" but we should all know by now that MC is still thinking normally no matter how crazy the situation gets. Along with that you wouldn't want to prove someone evil right, would you? Certain people gain ptsd from killing someone or a long form type of trauma and I think MC might start having that. Also do you think a person that can kill anyone would be seen as a hero even if the person is absolutely evil? At the start maybe but after that worry starts to set in and then fear of that easy killing mentality being turned on them.

Dex-chan lover
As always tougen anki takes a common trope and doesn't hesitate to take it on genuinely and with its own style.

At first I also was p unsure about why shiki was so hesitant but in the end I feel like its very normal to not want to kill someone at all. Like he said itd be much more convinient if someone else could do that dirty work. But it was life or death and he did the right thing. He's just gotta realize that even if he killed someone that doesn't inherently change who he is or that he's a kind person who wants to protect others. Killing even when justified can be painful but that doesn't make you a murderer. Now if he ends up feeling good afterwards...that's another story : )

Users who are viewing this thread