Touhou - SPELL (Doujinshi) - Ch. 4

Double-page supporter
Whenever I try to imagine who actually enforces these rules, the conclusion I usually end up landing on is that if you don't play by the rules, they're gonna kill you.

It is enforced through threat of lethal violence. And we assume there is a social contract going on – that most people agree that these rules keep Gensokyo together, and they should work together to keep it that way and help with correcting people with funny ideas.

Dex-chan lover
That's ultimately how it works anywhere. Even in societies that reject the death penalty, there can still be legal killing.

Whenever I try to imagine who actually enforces these rules, the conclusion I usually end up landing on is that if you don't play by the rules, they're gonna kill you.

It is enforced through threat of lethal violence. And we assume there is a social contract going on – that most people agree that these rules keep Gensokyo together, and they should work together to keep it that way and help with correcting people with funny ideas.
In canon it's written on a youkai contract, though what power that entails has never been answered by ZUN. At the very least it gave Byakuren and Miko (and notably not Yorihime) knowledge of the rules despite being locked away for about 1000 years before Gensokyo existed. It's most likely not magically enforced as Sumireko, who doesn't know the rules, wasn't punished for pulling out a gun. Impossible Spellcard does show that a lot of characters have "impossible" spell cards so that could be a way to counteract cheating without cheating yourself.

Dex-chan lover
Yukari going through the rules, somebody raising an objection to certain points so they can be explored more, Reimu getting input on something important, but the end result is entirely Yukari's proposal outside of that. I get that, if you don't structure the manga around this part, it has to be this way, or else the meeting would run on for multiple chapters of just talking and talking. But it felt like the questions were decided and then characters were forced to play the roles. Why is Shiki Eiki, Yamazanadu the one to find adding names humiliating? Why does she, whose entire power and job is determining absolute black and white, propose such a half-baked and easily gamed way of deciding who wins, and why is she okay with the method they end up choosing being such a vague one?

Well, that aside
g0bxke.png

Mooooom, you're embarrassing me!

Double-page supporter
In canon it's written on a youkai contract, though what power that entails has never been answered by ZUN. At the very least it gave Byakuren and Miko (and notably not Yorihime) knowledge of the rules despite being locked away for about 1000 years before Gensokyo existed. It's most likely not magically enforced as Sumireko, who doesn't know the rules, wasn't punished for pulling out a gun. Impossible Spellcard does show that a lot of characters have "impossible" spell cards so that could be a way to counteract cheating without cheating yourself.
I think... impossible spell cards might be a fatal flaw of the dueling rules. Because paradoxically within the context, they are beautiful, yet they are also too strong for an average duel. I suppose it depends on the duelist herself to judge whether her spell cards are possible or not? Would it be a common occurrence, then, for a spell card to be deemed impossible by many opponents even though the duelist herself believes otherwise? How do we tell if it's not just "skill issue"?

Keeping things vague breeds creativity, but the spell card rules just churn out more and more questions that I'd almost rather assume it's just regular fighting with move-shouting and call it a day.

Dex-chan lover
I think... impossible spell cards might be a fatal flaw of the dueling rules. Because paradoxically within the context, they are beautiful, yet they are also too strong for an average duel. I suppose it depends on the duelist herself to judge whether her spell cards are possible or not? Would it be a common occurrence, then, for a spell card to be deemed impossible by many opponents even though the duelist herself believes otherwise? How do we tell if it's not just "skill issue"?

Keeping things vague breeds creativity, but the spell card rules just churn out more and more questions that I'd almost rather assume it's just regular fighting with move-shouting and call it a day.
Impossible Spell cards are basically lifted ruling for a manhunt against a Seija. It was limited to Seija and Seija alone, you must have pissed the whole council if they decided to lift the rules just for you.

Dex-chan lover
First time I saw Okina and Kasen doing something sage-like, in the comics and games it seemed like they were more just trolling and chilling lmao

Thanks for the chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread