Touhou Suichouka ~ Lotus Eater-tachi no Suisei - Ch. 47 - Chapter 47 - Alcohol Seeks Its Own Level (Part 1)

Dex-chan lover
This chapter's not good news for the "Marisa can fly without her broom" faction - seeing as it shows Marisa dangling from it. Her body isn't floating, but the broom is. She does effortlessly right herself soon after, but maybe her balance is just that good. She's had a lot of practice, after all.

I find it unlikely she's completely screwed if she ever lost her broom - she probably has some sort of failsafe on hand - but the difference between her, the self-styled ordinary magician, and Reimu (shown very shortly after effortlessly floating) is showcased in this chapter so conspicuously that I have to assume it's intentional.

If it's true that in every Touhou game, the only thing standing between Marisa and a deadly bout with gravity is a glorified wooden stick... That would make her even more of a thrill seeker than I had previously suspected.

Akyuu's quote from Perfect Memento that suggests Marisa's use of the broom is a stylistic choice, rather than a necessary one, is doing very heavy lifting. It's from 2006, after all. Still - if Marisa can use a magic broom to fly, she can probably use other magic tools as well, in a pinch. She always has her mini-hakkero on hand, and has used it for propulsion in spell cards (Blazing Star), so that's at least one emergency option we know she can fall back on.

Anyway. Another surprise is that Reimu still seems to believe her disguise is capable of fooling anyone. Granted, it does cover her armpits. That alone makes it a rather excellent disguise. But why does she think she even needs one? If she wanted information from the villagers about rumors of youkai sightings, as the Hakurei shrine maiden in charge, she could just ask. Why the secrecy? Does she think if the villagers knew it was her asking, they would keep quiet because they'd feel sorry for the youkai who would get their asses kicked?

Akyuu's quote from Perfect Memento...
My interpretation of that quote is that Marisa could find a way to fly properly, but doesn't because of stylistic reasons. Alternatively, it could be that her means of flight is just more limited - perhaps it takes a bit of focus to start flying without relying on her broom, or some consumable or something. She's been shown to be able to control her broom with small hand gestures, so in a life and death situation it'd probably be easier.
Given how Marisa's personality I doubt she'd have no failsafe for falling, though I wouldn't be surprised if she flew sub-optimally to enjoy the thrill despite being fairly safe.

Fed-Kun's army
Anyway. Another surprise is that Reimu still seems to believe her disguise is capable of fooling anyone. Granted, it does cover her armpits. That alone makes it a rather excellent disguise. But why does she think she even needs one? If she wanted information from the villagers about rumors of youkai sightings, as the Hakurei shrine maiden in charge, she could just ask. Why the secrecy? Does she think if the villagers knew it was her asking, they would keep quiet because they'd feel sorry for the youkai who would get their asses kicked?
I expect it's because seeing her investigate would make the rumours seem more credable.

Dex-chan lover
Soaring Reimu was very cute.
blah blah yada yada
that's some Harry Potter logic being pushed upon. Well, given how she is drawn very HP-like, hanging upside down...I dunno. But I'd say I liked minusT's interpretation in his "Marisa vs Okuu" work.
well there's always a difference between how people talk freely between themselves and how you ask them something, even if they're willing to tell you.
(also I mistook her for Aya at first...)

Dex-chan lover
thats the equivalent of my friend asking me which girl i like it would be our secret, then after whisper him who then he yell the name at the whole class while surprised

Dex-chan lover
I think Reimu is trying to avoid causing a panic with her investigation. But also the disguise is cute even if it feels like she stole it off aya.

Users who are viewing this thread