Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay - Vol. 5 Ch. 103 - Family

Dex-chan lover
I've had this in plan to read for a while now, waiting for the TL to get to the end to marathon it all.

Nice to see that we have gotten this far, so thanks TL.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a story to marathon.

Supporter
Thanks for the translation, looking forward to any future work of yours!

Dex-chan lover
Gaynst in manga used to be very common. But then, manga was the only place you would ever read anything gay anywhere outside of spec-scifi stories and at best you would get a bittersweet ending. Because that is what reality was like, you were barely accepted by anyone, and in Japan, it was treated as something you grew out of for girls and something you never reveal to anyone for boys.

Now that more places are more accepting, these stories remind us that Japan hasn't really progressed much IRL about Queer issues with Gay Marriage being shot down every time it has come up. But with the younger generations now being the ones writing manga, there is more hope in manga now with happier endings being commonplace even if it isn't exactly true to life.

With how accepting the mom is, the son could come out to her, but since they are in Japan, he is very wary of doing so, especially since he is still in school. Conforming is a pretty big pillar of morality in Japan and being disowned is a very real fear he would have.

If this is really the end of the manga, it feels natural given the subject matter and tone. Maybe in the future we wouldn't have to worry anymore but sadly, it seems like we are a long way away from that being a reality.

Double-page supporter
Man, poor Hiroki. The kid can't help but out himself at every opportunity.

I like the tension the last few chapters about Dad having real difficulty with the subject-- he takes that being gay is a defect rather than just a difference. And here, after he's agonized over it for a bit, when the dense MF starts putting the same clues together that his wife has been, he doesn't falter and simply accepts his son.

WTG, Dad. It was painful, but you got there!

lol, after 100 chapters of suspicion and anxiety building up to the grand reveal, I just knew it was going to be some casual slip-up on Hiroki's part.

Fed-Kun's army
Despite the iffy quality of the scanlation, thanks for putting in the effort and treating the manga well. TBH I think with some improved typography your work would stand firmly as decent quality. If this is the last chapter I'll be a bit sad, but either way, it's been a joy to read this manga. Thanks for these updates!

These characters r crazy meaningful & it’s sad that we abruptly stop seeing them without full resolutions. I feel the trajectory of Hiroki’s life reflects Tonho’s … which doesn’t give us that narrative resolution but assures us that it’ll b fine … & realistic.

It’s rlly beautifully told bc this is the mother’s story even though every family member gets development. We’re put in then taken out in this little chapter where the suspicions r the forefront of concern.

Maybe we’ll get a continuation with a time-skip in the future? I can imagine it takes place when Hiroki’s an adult & learning what it means 2B gay (& part of the community). This story [OSIPG] feels like an introduction 2 LGBTQ+ ideas. &, don’t get me wrong, it’s beautiful & seems warranted bc Japan is unlike the West. Seeing some1 go through this development felt authentic & like it wasn’t pandering 2 me just bc it’s about gay things. But moving 4ward … if it’s desired … it could get N2 more complex or adult issues. However, I would prefer it mostly being a continuation of how their lives turn out. But simultaneously, my expectations r so high now maybe it’s better left like this ! Lol !

hm. i felt like 98-103 were a little rushed. 01-97 had the story and characters developing slowly, yet steadily, in a really realistic and thoughtful way. tbh, i thought the author was building up to more - there are still a lot of interesting things that could've been covered. im glad hiroki has such a welcoming family tho <3

Users who are viewing this thread