Uchuu Kyoudai - Ch. 409 - Boomerang

Group Leader
Now my questions and answers/explanations I gave my self:

The translation said that Mutta was gonna orbit the moon for a couple of weeks which doesn't make sense because he doesn't have that much oxygen plus imagine the psychological damage of floating around space for that long.
plus later on they talk about how they are going to wait for him to reach his original position and catch him making it sound like going around the moon wont take too long, but how long?? anyways, so i removed the "couple of weeks" part and left it the way it is now.

My possible explanation- according to google the ISS takes around 90 minutes to fully orbit the earth and it moves at around 5 miles per second, so with the moon being smaller but also Mutta not moving that fast it really makes me wonder how long its gonna take for him to complete the orbit, but its got to be less that 6-8 hours because according to google that's how long the oxygen in their spacesuits will last. I really wish we had a little more details on all of that, maybe next chapter.

The other thing, if they are gonna wait for Mutta to go back to his original position why have the Soyuz also go circle the moon and try to match the exact moment Mutta reaches his original position? wouldn't that just open the possibilities for more things to go wrong?? like not getting the timing right.

My possible explanation - With me not being a physicist I don't understand all the details about space and gravity but the only thing i can think of is that if they stay on the same spot they will have to constantly use fuel to stop the Soyuz from floating away and keep them selves in the same spot, better to just use fuel once to put them selves in an orbit that will collide with Muttas and adjust once or twice to match Mutta at the meeting point.

What do you think??

Dex-chan lover
why have the Soyuz also go circle the moon and try to match the exact moment Mutta reaches his original position? wouldn't that just open the possibilities for more things to go wrong?? like not getting the timing right.
to move from the point where the soyuz is, in a line, they would need to use fuel to decelerate the actual orbit, plus fuel to get it to the new place, and fuel to keep it in place, while modifying the actual orbit so it circles around, won't need that much fuel because they will use the momentum they soyuz already has.

The translation said that Mutta was gonna orbit the moon for a couple of weeks which doesn't make sense because he doesn't have that much oxygen plus imagine the psychological damage of floating around space for that long.
plus later on they talk about how they are going to wait for him to reach his original position and catch him making it sound like going around the moon wont take too long, but how long?? anyways, so i removed the "couple of weeks" part and left it the way it is now.
i'm assuming they mean he will orbit the moon for a couple of weeks before the orbit decays and he crashes into the moon. him surviving is irrelevant to that, his body would keep orbiting even after he died.

Dex-chan lover
I am more worried about how they are going to catch him on the interception since both Muta and the Soyuz must be going quite fast, when they were all sharing a vector this wasn't much of an issue, but now they are pretty much trying to collide with each other so decelerating Mutta could become an issue

Aggregator gang
My possible explanation - With me not being a physicist I don't understand all the details about space and gravity but the only thing i can think of is that if they stay on the same spot they will have to constantly use fuel to stop the Soyuz from floating away and keep them selves in the same spot, better to just use fuel once to put them selves in an orbit that will collide with Muttas and adjust once or twice to match Mutta at the meeting point.

What do you think??
From what I understand, they both try to make a full orbit and intercept at the same location. In reality, this is only possible if Mutta drifted away perfectly parallel to the moon's surface. Unrealistic, but it's Fiction anyway.

Now I don't remember if they said what orbit they are in, so I will just do some guessing.
Assuming a 100km orbit, one orbit would take around 2 hours. So plenty of time.
In terms of speed, Mutta would intercept at exactly the same speed, he was overshooting the Soyuz.
So they would only need to boost in his direction a bit right before he arrives.

Since they don't have his exact location, the best thing they can do is wait for him to come back and try to catch him.

Users who are viewing this thread