Until I Become Me

The first couple of chapters were rough but they're really just an excuse for the rest of the story. It's a pretty good, straightforward look at trans thoughts and gender. Loving the characters, it's all very wholesome

Double-page supporter
So the monologue in chapter 1 says that this is her story until she became a high schooler. Does that mean the story really ends there?

The vol 3 cover art is so cute. I just can't deal with how wholesome this manga is at times. To both of the tl groups, thanks so much for your continued work!

before i start reading this i wanna know if the romance progresses or do they just run around playing tag the whole time?

Group Leader
Do you know when a new chapter will be released? Even the official RAWs seem to have stopped at chapter 58.

Dex-chan lover
It's a nice story, but obviously not to be taken too seriously. It reminds me of the time when my mother used to tell me that "if I wasn't a good child, God would get angry and to teach me a lesson, he would throw a bolt of lightning at me and i would explode~:nyoron:

Pretty bad. I was fooled by the mad reviews this title is getting. The first chapter is good and implies the series will be hard hitting with deep insight like "A Silent Voice" or "Takopi's Original Sin". But then the rest of the manga is just bland, shallow, awkward navel-gazing. It's one thing for the MC to struggle with dysphoria, but the MC never does or thinks anything.

For example, like halfway through, the MC realizes that tomboys exist and that girls can do traditionally boyish things. First, what a deep philosophy to spend twenty chapters building towards, but second, and most damningly, the MC doesn't do anything after her realization. A large component of the MC's malaise was being unable to participate in the activities that she had enjoyed as a boy. But when handed a golden ticket, then MC doesn't resume those activities. Worse, she doesn't even try.

(Like, it would be interesting if the MC tried to participate and was rejected, sparking a new round of different navel-gazing. Being psychological or introspective is fine for a manga, being boring is not.)

I guess most readers like this manga because they "feel so seen" or something. Personally, I found it an extraordinarily frustrating and disappointing read. (which is why I wrote a novel to vent, lol)

Dex-chan lover
before i start reading this i wanna know if the romance progresses or do they just run around playing tag the whole time
Even this far into the manga, there's no concrete evidence of a central romance plot. Akira's friendship with Rumi is very close, and it is possible the author could eventually pivot it into a romantic relationship, but it's totally unclear if that is the case.

Akira has expressed interest in both men and women, while Rumi has only expressed interest in men. Take all of that with a grain of salt, though, since they're still in middle school and probably don't even know how they feel yet.

It's entirely possible Akira ends up with some guy. It's also possible the author 'undoes' the gender bend and lets it happen that way.

nao 1999 said, "I hope Akira x Shouma will be a couple ...."

The two are a couple in Chapters 48 & 49, when Shouma accompanies Akira to the Summer Festival. Akira wears a yukata for the very first time, plus Shouma guides the two of them away from the friends, and spends the rest of the festival alone with Akira.

However, near the end of the festival, Shouma takes Akira out to the parking lot, and does a Love Confession to her. She declines.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I have a weirdly obsession with this manga, I've been rereading it 4 times

nao 1999 said, "I hope Akira x Shouma will be a couple ...."

The two are a couple in Chapters 48 & 49, when Shouma dates Akira and takes her to the Summer Festival. Akira wears a yukata for the very first time, plus Shouma guides the two of them away from the friends, and spends the rest of the festival alone with Akira.

However, near the end of the festival, Shouma takes Akira out to the parking lot, and does a Love Confession to her. She declines.
That... isn't what a couple is. They weren't even out on a date... They went to the festival as a group of like 6 people, with Akira's only concern being her in the yukata and her feet hurting. Shouma confesses of his own accord. None of it is "them dating". The scene IS about Shouma revealing his feelings but they are not dating.

Users who are viewing this thread