Usogui - Vol. 41 Ch. 440 - The Knowledge Carved In Abomination

Dex-chan lover
Baku's plan here is ingenious. Not only is he forcing Lalo to waste air as well, but more importantly, he's managed to force Lalo's next card, although I don't know if he himself can recognize that (it's Baku, he probably did).

This game is shaping up to be something of an inverse to the tower gamble. We as the viewers know more than the players, and yet the question remains trying to follow their thought process. What an exciting game!

Dex-chan lover
Well now i want to know how they betting will work when both of them know what hands are being played.

It's just like the flashback in submarine arc, when Kaji said that he learned from Baku from Old Maid game that it is better to use opponent's knowledge as an advantage rather than put it into luck

Double-page supporter
@Doomroar betting on who has better guessed/calculated the cards that have been used up so far

There's also the added randomness in that it's only an assumption at this point that the highest possible cards make up each hand.

Good chapter ( as all of them 😀 ) but seriously, are you telling me whitout Baku telling the law Lalo was planning to play this game with luck alone ?

@Veshv Usogui has understood the law and had the double of Lalo air bios... so far he had the advantage even with breath thinking energy it takes. Baku actualy increased his difficulty.

btw, when do the batch end.

Fed-Kun's army
@Solano
I think the Lalo already have an inkling to what the law is since in pg12&13, we have Lalo looking at his card & then in the next panel we have the word 'straight royal flush' (which is the card Lalo have, card 47). He might be testing this theory in round 3 if Baku haven't straight up told him about the law.

And I don't think Baku actually have the advantage because he doesn't know what cards Lalo have. Assuming if Baku didn't tell Lalo about the law & the best strategy for Baku is what Kaji said, that he play his best card 25, which is straight flush, so he can win the gamble in the next round. It's up to luck that Lalo a) don't have a card with a higher rank (which he totally have with his 47 being a royal flush) & b) he won't play that card with the higher rank in the next round. And we know by now that Baku doesn't bet on luck.

Fed-Kun's army
calculating all the possibilities and odds to confirm it are near impossible for a human brain so i'd like to think there is some luck involved in this gamble. If a computer plopped it out it would have 100% certainty what the hands are and it would be simple but now you add air time limits life and death and i love how it all turned out!! baku is one craaaazy MF

Dex-chan lover
@Solano
The conclusions that Baku probably came to after his thinking probably meant that he wasn't at an advantage. Which from our perspective, is half-true. Technically Baku has the advantage, but he has no way to know that. Whether his decision was right depends on what Lalo would have done had he not been told right now of the law. Which, from what we've seen this chapter, would have been what he will do now anyway. So Baku does not have the advantage.

Reading all of that, it sounds rather convoluted. Let me know if you can't follow.

That was so clever ! I am amazed.

And the referee still doing the "I'm smarter than you" competition

Fed-Kun's army
I actually really like this game. It's pretty thrilling to follow

Dex-chan lover
I didn't think about it until realizing Lalo has to read, but his fluency in other languages is impressive.

Leader of an international criminal organization for you.
Or did Baku actually carve it in English.

What bothered me about this chapter is the "both sides" on page 8. I first thought this meant both Lalo and Baku, but that wouldn't make any sense since at that point on page 8, Lalo did not know the law yet. And the way that "both sides" is emphasized in quotation marks makes it seem that there is more to it then it seems.
I'm going to spoiler tag what my theory on what this "both sides" is.

This game of Air Poker probably isn't a 1 vs 1, but a 2 vs 2. Ever since the start of Air Poker, the one thing that bothered me the most was, where the hell is Hal(the leader) and Fukurou? The last we saw of them was in chapter 426 where Fukurou was trying to change the password, but Hal also appeared to stop him. Logically, the referees wouldn't allow two such variables to affect this match, so where would they be? The conclusion I came up with is that they are playing the game of Air Poker alongside with Baku and Lalo. Another clue to this is that in chapter 433 page 9, you can see Shion say, "Please forgive me..." Who is he asking forgiveness from? I asked in that chapter if that was the correct translation because it seemed so out of place, and it seems that indeed that is indeed the correct translation. Referees are crazy individuals. Who is one person they would ask forgiveness to? That would be the leader. So probably because Baku lost the first round, Hal had to endure something that made Shion ask for forgiveness.

Dex-chan lover
@xkcdhawk
The fact that Baku's figured out the law makes it hard for Lalo naturally, because now he's pressured to either figure out the law, or overthink the circumstances behind Baku's every decision in the upcoming rounds, if he raises by specific amounts or such. He can't just blindly play anymore after Baku went literally all in and is now thinking as hard as he is.

As for your theory:
How would the 2v2 work? Is the match between Fukurou and Hal mirroring Baku vs Lalo? Or are they betting on which hand is better? It's a good theory, especially considering the fact that Takumi and Shion are the ones presiding this match. It doesn't make sense that the attending referees for Fukurou and Hal are the ones overseeing this if those two aren't involved in some capacity.

@catx3
Are the scratches from Baku in English, or did you guys adjust it from Japanese? If you guys did, it looks pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread