Usogui - Vol. 43 Ch. 465 - His True Ally

Holy shit, it was Morse Code. But how come Lalo didn't pick up on it? He's also a supergenius and if Fukurou could deduce that it was Morse Code while undergoing the effects of Witch Pain and being a level higher, why couldn't Lalo who was sitting right in front of Usogui and not in any immediate pain/danger?

Also, Souchi/Hal says the same thing in this chapter he said back in Chapter 316: "That's too hard to understand." I thought that was kinda cool.

Now, will Lalo go gently into the good night or will there be a tussle?

Lalo and Ideal have consistently applied brute force throughout the series. He'll probably make an indecent scene before passing away.

@chrischewie
Lalo is underwater. I pretty sure you're unable to hear normally underwater since sound waves travel differently in water vs. air, so even if Lalo could hear the sounds they wouldn't sound like Morse code to him. Also he might just think Baku was writing random stuff to throw him off rather than making sound, since Baku previously used the same method to write that message to Lalo.

@chrischewie

The morse code was done shortly before Lalo or Usogui (presumably) know about the participation of Fukurou and Hal. In Lalo's defense, Usogui's behaviour was simply a desperate front after taking the calamity or a mnemonic device.

Also, I think Lalo is a more straightforward person. Usogui always think up about ridiculous possibility in all his gambles so far but Lalo always resort to brute tactics, i.e. like how he raised the bet so high in the 1st round before knowing the air poker law. So it's within Lalo's character to not notice Usogui's morse code. Lalo is perfectly capable of being reactive, but he lacks the craziness Usogui have.

Anyway, I really like how Usogui and Hal's fated meeting is the key in winning the gamble. And nobody knows about Usogui and Hal deeper connection, not even referees. On the surface, Usogui's and Hal's relationship only go as far as challenger and challenged, but we as a reader knows that their relationship is much more personal than that.

Can't believe that a gambling manga managed to give me the feels like this.

Fed-Kun's army
Isn't the drowning punishment a little disproportionate compared to the others? I mean, it's not just pain, it's straight up choking the life out of you. Lol

Anyway, great chapter. If it wasn't obvious before, I'd say it is now: Hal seems to truly care about Baku. Makes me wonder how surpassing the leader is going to play out between the two of them (assuming their lives will be on the line in that too).

Fed-Kun's army
It feels so good to see Hal being Hal again.
The only way to make this chapter more satisfying might be to have Lalo suffer the witch pain instead of Fukurou. ^^

Also, thanks Team Duwang for these bonus explanation pages. The morse code foreshadowing killed me.

Double-page supporter
@saxifraga
Maybe he is actually breathing, but is just feeling the "pain of being unable to breathe" and just can't tell? Or it lasts short enough so that he can catch his breath after. I think the torture lasts for around 1 minute or less, just a guess based on the fact that there doesn't seem to be a long delay in between rounds.

The panel with Hal tearing up definitely shows their relationship well, I liked that so much.

The "last moment" talk at the last page is quite worrying though, I wonder if it means Hal will erase his memories of Baku, so he can fight him in StL without anything holding him back.

Dex-chan lover
Kaji looks so distraught when thinking about the relation between Hal and Baku.

@catx3
I think they'll have a proper conversation first. Maybe a repeat of the "4 things necessary" for StL, after which Leader would wipe his memory of Baku.

@chrischewie
I think it came down to the fact that Lalo didn't realize it was a 2v2 until after Baku already sent the message. Because of that, he ended up not considering it a message to someone else at all.

Fed-Kun's army
That was heartwarming, the last few scene with Hal and Baku.

On another note, why did Baku bet on Hal to regain his memory. Is not like Baku can predict that Hal will regain his memory during the gamble, he doesn't even know what causes Hal's memory loss in the first place. I really don't buy the fact that Baku bet on a miracle to happen.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Souichi used Hal as his name in the Protoporos, that could have hinted Baku. Did we ever know why he choose Hal as his name. I don't remember anyone mentioning the word Hal to him. Maybe Souichi is already starting to remember his past when Ban was beginning.

Aggregator gang
Did the memories/personalities of Leader and his other personas merge or something

This was an insane Chapter with Hal’s name being used for the win

Double-page supporter
Wow, it was morse code! I figured it might have been different since Fukurou would pick up on it if it was just morse code, but it turns out it was something only Baku and Hal would ever understand. I also like the idea that Fukurou lost his edge over the years because he became too strong. Kind of reminds me of the things Baku has said about fighting when you have only your life to give.

The shot of Hal crying saying "That's too hard to understand" like he did when Baku gave him his nickname really got me.

Great chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, the foreshadowing. Hal was actually repeating the Morse code all those chapters ago!

This manga never fails to be exciting after all the reveals.

Contributor
Always love the explanations Duwang adds in, especially when it comes to foreshadowing that only makes sense in translation.

Users who are viewing this thread