Usogui - Vol. 43 Ch. 469 - Air Poker's Epilogue

So in the end nobody from kakerou died? Or am I forgetting someone...? A little bummed out because of that, but I will consider it as kakerou's 'perfection' karma.

Fukurou suddenly came out like that beside Hal and Gakuto cracks me up. Also a little disappointed that Fukurou didn't even say a line about Usogui or Hal. Seeing a marco spread makes up for all that though so it's all good

Dex-chan lover
I like Ikon, and I like Nanpou, but they both should be dead.
Japan really has issues with letting characters die. I'm pretty sure they have no big role in the future either.

Anyways, this was still very cute. Lol at Yakkou about to drop Kaji if he admitted on helping Baku.

I thought that was meant to be a fantasy? since we see amen cry not tears of happiness, maybe i'm too dumb to get it
Also, she does that while saying "i'd be upset... if this was a dream"

Dex-chan lover
Not a fan of these characters surviving when they should be dead. Seriously, people dying should be accepted in a manga like this.
Not a fan of the gross rotting body obsession either..

Also, just 5 volumes or so until the end, feels it's not a lot for a proper ending honestly. We'll see.

Frankly, the biggest gripe I still have with the manga is that we don't really KNOW what Usogui wants. Ok, so he's a gambling addict and... that's it? What does he really want to do, supposing he wins Surpassing the leader? The lack of clear motivations, even so far into the manga, does not make me feel much empathy for Usogui. If anything I like Kaji a lot more.

Double-page supporter
After Kadokura lived through getting his skull cracked open by Minowa I wouldn't be surprised to see people living through anything, but they shouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger in the endgame of a manga like this especially when they've already killed Kyara. That being said are we sure Amen isn't fantasizing? She's crying, and we saw her have some delusions when she was fighting Long too. And isn't this the sub where Nobuko is hiding?

Awesome spread of Marco. I've missed the kid.

I love that the second Yakou mentions preparing his special coffee for everyone Baku turns him down.

We certainly don't have enough chapters left to explore it but I'd be really intrigued by an Oofuna vs Kaji gamble.

Fed-Kun's army
Oh. We completely forgot about Kaji. He was the one who help Baku survive round 2 before Hal can do anything. Glad that Baku acknowledges him at the end. He was so bummed as well when he realised that Baku & Hal have sort of a secret signal that's only between them.

I too was not a fan Nanpou and Ikon being alive, I think their "death" established how insane Lalo is as well as Bai Long tremendous strength. Having them be alive really cheapen the memory I have with both of them. Kadokura being alive doesn't affect my past enjoyment of the manga, in fact, since then he become a more interesting character due to his brain damage & his new relationship with Kaji. I wish the same could be done with Nanpou and Ikon.

I think the fact that Kyara died while Nanpou and Ikon live shows that Kyara death is purely to create an emotional response from Baku. This is not a bad storytelling device but it seems like the "good guys" only lives if them living are not important to the plot. That makes me even more salty about Kyara's death as a plot device.

Fed-Kun's army
@Nehona
Personally, Baku's aloof nature is a huge draw for me, especially as the titular character of the series. With Baku being so mysterious, following his journey as a reader sorta elicits the same feelings others within the story tend to convey about him (i.e. questioning and being equally clueless about his person). It's kinda fitting to me in context, if you get what I'm saying.

But yeah, I totally get the impatience. Given the current setup though, with surpassing the leader coming up next, I think we'll finally end up learning more about Baku, as well as Souichi.

Double-page supporter
We've definitely learned a lot more about Baku since the Tower arc, since we now have context for the story he told Yukiide and his relationship with Hal. We've also finally been getting inside his head more and more too, especially during Portoporos and Air Poker. In a lot of the earlier gambles we'd be left in the dark and have to figure out what he means through Kaji/the refs but now we're in his head a lot more. Which I enjoy; I'm glad they're pulling the curtain back on him. My thinking is that he originally wanted to prove he was the strongest gambler, but once he became connected to Hal he's looking for something more special.

Last thought on the refs surviving: its a shame in this arc specifically because it gave weight to the seriousness of Ideal's power in attacking the island, that Kakerou might not be the unassailable force that we thought it was. Amen's stressful journey fighting Long and having to follow Lalo who had killed two other refs now seems slightly less perilous in retrospect, if they are indeed alive. It'd be a very interesting weight for that character to deal with going forward if Nanpou and Ikon remained dead. But I'm not 100% sure if they're alive or deceased. Schrodinger's Referee

Dex-chan lover
I have no idea what clever creep is supposed to mean, but I'm happy Kaji and Baku have a secret message between themselves too. Yakou death-staring Kaji was great too.

This new guy sure is one brave idiot, walking into a group of 6 referees. I wonder if he's one of the people Lalo brought to the island during the Nightmare stage.

Unlike last time, the refs seem scared of Baku playing STL now. Climax arc is gonna be great. I think the number of refs that root for Hachina & Baku will be quite even.

Double-page supporter
Looking back at the early arcs it looks like a completely different manga.

DqWpxwj.png

mrGikfN.png

mtJ5QqY.png

0UsGS9d.png

JsBRqrx.png

K1ymPKI.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I guess Kadokura and maybe Midara would root for Baku. Ikon and Naipou too. Yakkou obviously too. The rest I see on Kiruma's side.

Dex-chan lover
Yes Ikon is alive! oh man i am so happy.
So i guess he was betting with Amen, and now she has to pay up? is she sad because she is with the injured referees and feeling bad about their power levels?

Aggregator gang
Marco spread!! Sensei really knows what the readers (me) want!!!

I always dislike when the author does a fake-death, but if you look back it's pretty rare that any "good guy" actually dies in this manga. Is there even one before now? And Kyara unfortunately was set up from the beginning of this arc with lots of death flags.

Dex-chan lover
I had a feeling, it seems only the refs get fake deaths here. No wonder Caracal and Voja are dead.

Regardless, there are some unnecessary fakeouts here.

Users who are viewing this thread