Usogui - Vol. 48 Ch. 523 - To The Future

Not a real spoiler, just a theory, which might reveal the shocking ending, if it comes true:

I thought about this a few chapters ago, but this is the first gamble for us readers, where we don't know for sure if Usogui will win. Because in this gamble, from the story perspective, him losing would also work. In fact, if Usogui lost here and died, it would be a pretty good bittersweet ending. As readers, we would be shown that gamble is still a gamble, no matter how good you are, you will run out of luck one day. However, that doesn't mean you should be afraid to gamble, on the contrary, never putting your life on the line in a gamble is essentially not living. We saw this best in character development of Kaji and Hal, who at first were afraid to gamble, Hal even going as far as becoming inhuman, just to avoid gambling. But in the end, no matter how hard they tried to avoid it, to avoid risking, in the end, the only real answer is to not be afraid and risk it all. Both of them learned this through their life, their story. And both of them learned this lesson due to existence of Usogui. So if you look it that way, Usogui's role in the story is now complete.

Fed-Kun's army
@Rooster I like your assessment and I agree that could be a possibility too, it would be a nice end that ideally most people wont be angry about.
Problem is reading these comments for so long is im sure theres gonna be a lot of nitpicking of how things shouldved ended or not
But man did I enjoy this journey, its been a great read and i've got 0 regrets. Can't wait to reread this in a batch when its all done

Is Baku finally giving up, after 40+ volumes?
Perhaps he's somewhat come full circle in both his relationship with Kyara and Hal.
It could explain a sense of satisfaction after his long journey.

And either way, what's Baku's goal here? Just becoming the leader? I don't think it's about that.
I always thought it'd be something in the sense of excusing HAL from death, or so, as he's done for him.

Is he just a degenerate adrenaline junkie, a compulsive gambler?

It's interesting how I've been following this series on a near weekly base since EGS was doing it, 3 years ago.
Oh how time flies.

people you think this is crazy and dark...ohohoho

I have read the raws of the last half of this volume and all of volume 49...and people...you have not seen nothing yet.

Fed-Kun's army
Thank you for the chapter, as always!!!!
Once again, the decision to put the chapter name near the end is making me emotional. This chapter really made me realize that "it's really ending, isn't it?" Oh I'm so not ready to say goodbye to this series ;____;

The chain metaphor reminds me of this image https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...lume_41.png/revision/latest?cb=20200424162755

Seeing Hal, who always saw gambling as just a means to an end, enjoy gambling for the first time also made me very emotional. And the "welcome to the world of gamblers" line too, especially considering what he said in 518 https://mangadex.org/chapter/1040722/10 (though I guess that was technically a different Hal/Souichi, but still...)

And I love the panel where Amen looks like shes having a deep existential crisis, and Ikon is just standing there, naked. "please put on some clothes, grandpa." lol.

That can't be right, there must be one last trick up Baku's sleeve for him to win it. He has come in to win it after all.

Dex-chan lover
Damn... at first i wanted to believe that usogui would win and somehow bullshit his way into saving hachina, the plan of hoping that souichi would lose his memories and leave, thus making baku the winner without killing anybody was perfect for that... but now i'm starting to believe that baku is going to lose
i can't take this bros...

Double-page supporter
how can you keep so much tension over so many chapters, what a masterwork

@fire
This is what i've been also saying... Baku has no end goal.. we know already Baku isnt interested at power. this is why im pretty sure that even if he win ( because he will win, so the whole stuff about is role in the story doesnt work ) he wont be kakerou leader, and since Kakerou needs a leader, and since Baku surly doesnt want to destroy that institution he loved that much, Hal will keep his leader position at the end.
If it was just gambling for the sake of gambling, that would make Baku a total piece of shit since he, again, manipulated people into entering his gambles, giving them the impression of doing that on their free will ( even normal people ), which is not. Yet the author is doing his possible to not potray him like that.. the author wants us to think Baku is a grey or anti-hero character whereas during all his saga he's only been dealing against trash behavior/evil character, cleaning up the trash and being rather chill dude with normal/honest people. Making Baku a chaotic good alignment at worst.
After beating Kakerou, then what ? the world ? he's done that when he beat Lalo.

Users who are viewing this thread