View Other User's Reviews and Ratings

I was wondering if there will be consideration to implement an option to view other users' ratings and comments made for manga? This function will be similar to the mangaupdates user profiles that have all their reviews/ratings (https://www.mangaupdates.com/members.html) or even to reddit where you can see a user's whole comment history. The reason I suggest this idea is because I have read some very useful and deeply insightful reviews from users on certain mangas that I have read. I have since stalked their profile to see which mangas they have completed and branched out from there to find other great mangas from people with similar tastes as mine. However, I can only currently see the mangas the user has read, which doesn't describe to me if they liked it or their thoughts about the mangas they have read. The system would basically be a re-implementation of mangaupdates unto mangadex, which may be redundant, but I think it'll be practical since the resource being rated is right there. What I mean by that is that there is the immediate advantage of finishing reading the manga on mangadex, and then immediately going to leave your thoughts on the same website versus signing unto mangaupdates (with possibly a different username) and then leaving a review; just more work needed. Just imagine how much exposure some mangas will get with this system!

Dex-chan lover
@eyekanspelgude
You are actually able to view another user's ratings of manga. When you view their MDList, change the view from Grid/whatever you have it on, to Simple List or Expanded List. On the right side, in blue, you can see what that person has rated each manga.

As for reviews/ratings in a concise page to view for all users, I would welcome this addition. Maybe not viewing all comments though.

@bigtiddyoneesan
Thanks for the tip about the Simple/Expanded list option! I do say that that function is indeed helpful and has already beared fruit! I stalked your profile to test it out and saw that you only rated two series with the rating of 10: Berserk and Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de. Since I know everything about Berserk (fuck you Muira!) but have never read the other one, I now have a new series to read! However, this function of viewing a user's rating might be a bit too hidden to be noticed, so maybe a consideration of having the user's rating on the default grid/detailed view to begin with would remedy that great hidden feature. Instead of only having it in the simple/expanded view.

As for a user's comments, I can see why we wouldn't follow the reddit route where a user's comments are just laid out like word vomit; it can be a bit disorganized and cluttering. However, I think mangadex already has the layout for a "Manga Comments" system already. When I clicked your profile, I saw a comments bubble button already. The only thing is that the button leads to ALL the comments for the manga, versus just the comments of the user I am *ahem* stalking. I think if that button just simply lead to the viewed user's comments, that will be fine, since people can already view all the comments by other means, like just simply entering the manga's page to begin with.

Hopefully these ideas are productive and helpful towards the accessibility of mangadex's user experience.

Dex-chan lover
@eyekanspelgude
you only rated two series with the rating of 10: Berserk and Jumyou wo Kaitotte Moratta. Ichinen ni Tsuki, Ichimanen de
Those two are great, but there are actually two others that I've given 10's to: Shingeki no Kyojin and Yugami-kun. All 4 of the 10's I've given are definitely in my top manga picks/recommendations, and I think most people can appreciate at least one of them.
Since I know everything about Berserk (fuck you Muira!)
Lmao, I love to shit on Miura as well, but he's honestly a good boi. After all, he gave me a 10/10 manga.
having the user's rating on the default grid/detailed view to begin
Yes, this 100%. Having a much more obvious method to seeing another user's ratings would be a welcome addition to MD.
When I clicked your profile, I saw a comments bubble button already.
Can you clarify or post a pic of this? I'm unaware of what exactly this is.

In regards to viewing all comments, I think that it should be similar to viewing someone's MDList; the user can choose whether or not others may view all of his/her comments through a central 'page', just like on Reddit. And, of course, the user would be able to view all of his/her comments on a central page as well.

EDIT: This thread is relevant. Comment pages are planned, fortunately.

@bigtiddyoneesan

Woah, you're right, you have other mangas rated at 10. Then that brings up another issue that there would need to be a sorting feature for a user's ratings as well as the manga's overall rating.

As for the comments button:
https://ibb.co/Ptqkkwj

That button currently goes to all the comments, but maybe that should only go to the comments made by that specific user for that specific manga. The button would ultimately still lead to the complete comments page, but it'll zoom to that specific user's comment instead of the latest page for the comments section. This would act like a CTRL+F function in the comments and saves on looking through several pages to find the user's comment. Moreover, it also confirms that the user even made any comments on a certain manga, because that is unknown right now with the current comments button just leading to the complete comments page.

Dex-chan lover
@eyekanspelgude
sorting feature for a user's ratings as well as the manga's overall rating.
Yes, these would both be good. They're included in the planned features list, fortunately. On the planned features list, 'Sort by user rating' is under the 'MDList' section, and 'Search withing [rating] ranges' is under the 'Search' section.

As for the comments, planned features are already aware of that, too. 'User comment history (private/public)' is under 'Miscellaneous', and 'Search' (presumably for specific titles and possibly comments) is under 'Forums'.

All in all, it seems the staff at MD are relatively bigbrain and have thought of (and read suggestions concerning) these issues/potential improvements for a while now, so in due time I'm sure we'll get these important features.

Users who are viewing this thread