Vivarium de Choushoku wo - Ch. 36 - The World's End

Aggregator gang
1IbqoNT.png

The wall-eyed look is hilarious. Relatable scene for anyone who's ever been split between friends fighting.

Contributor
You see, this is the edge of the world. We’re actually in the cosmic equivalent of a fish tank, with our brains regularly tampered with to keep the illusion up. I think it’s a great mystery to tell everyo- why are you screaming

Dex-chan lover
You see, this is the edge of the world. We’re actually in the cosmic equivalent of a fish tank, with our brains regularly tampered with to keep the illusion up. I think it’s a great mystery to tell everyo- why are you screaming
Yeah, that wasn't exactly the absolute softest most empathetic way to break it to them lol.

But it's an interesting illustration of really different fundamental mental models on life, and how they can still be best friends and get along well in general yet suddenly and surprisingly crash into their differences. A lot of humans out there IRL would genuinely fall either way, some really would think "wow, this is so cool! So many new things to learn, so many new possibilities have opened up!!" Whereas others would definitely feel real bad about it. And for the former it'd be very natural for them to want to inform their closest friends of this amazing new discovery first and treat it as a neat surprise, while simultaneously that'd be the absolute worst way to break it to the latter. Then hurt feelings all around :(.

Fortunately they do have a 3rd as a go between to help each see a different perspective.

Dex-chan lover
“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awakened, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I got too close to the jumbotron at the end of the world and the robot frogs ribbit-ed me to sleep and jammed all that butterfly shit into my noggin. Tokyo's not even real. Wake up, sheeple.”

-Vivarium Zhuangzi

Feels like there was almost no buildup for why they decided to take that trip, I guess he's just cutting the fat. Makes sense that someone would react poorly to the truth. Even if it was the one I'd normally consider the chillest.

Group Leader
Man, we had so many theory and bickering throughout this chapter. Everything from Mikoto is Stella's war baby alien dumped off to all the ghosts are outside-humans from outside dumped into the Vivarium by Obitto. It was pretty fun and silly!
I didn't throw it on the translators notes but Kikurin is being ambiguous as always. The "higher ups" can mean a boss or just something above, and her comment about the rules changing is also very indirect. TLer tries not to editorlise(?) or change too much because many things Douman writes tends to be that way for a reason. I.E "From the world of the 22nd century".
He also apologies as usual, and says thank you for comments.
Feels like there was almost no buildup for why they decided to take that trip, I guess he's just cutting the fat. Makes sense that someone would react poorly to the truth. Even if it was the one I'd normally consider the chillest.
If it wasn't for Yoki's comment about Boss being back, I kinda felt like this chapter should've gone after Story of Your Life. (Esp with the reaction to the Frog Calls)

Users who are viewing this thread