Vivarium de Choushoku wo - Ch. 37 - Planetarium of Memories

Dex-chan lover
That's a really emotionally intelligent way to cut right through the heart of the argument. So often in an argument when a third party is asked to decide or mediate it gets into which side is "right" or one degree or another. But she bypassed all that by simply observing one side had zero ill intentions and both of them knew it, while the other intended to hurt (even if due to receiving an emotional shock themselves), so the one who intended to hurt unilaterally is in the wrong even if they had a reason for it (the reason means they can make up). That she saw in it the death of her dearly held dream though does help explain why it was a big hit for her. Though more world building and ominousness in the background, doesn't seem like all is interesting aliens and roses in space...

Dex-chan lover
That's a really emotionally intelligent way to cut right through the heart of the argument. So often in an argument when a third party is asked to decide or mediate it gets into which side is "right" or one degree or another. But she bypassed all that by simply observing one side had zero ill intentions and both of them knew it, while the other intended to hurt (even if due to receiving an emotional shock themselves), so the one who intended to hurt unilaterally is in the wrong even if they had a reason for it (the reason means they can make up). That she saw in it the death of her dearly held dream though does help explain why it was a big hit for her. Though more world building and ominousness in the background, doesn't seem like all is interesting aliens and roses in space...
I was about to leave a comment about how Yoki is 100% at fault because she is the one who said that they're no longer friends, while before it was somewhat even, a fair argument between two disagreeing people. But you changed my mind, Mikoto's mostly in the wrong.

Group Leader
Forgot to put in a notes page but there's only really two small things. One is the "forward" line, Stella uses a word for a female-on-male flirting and sort of extends the sound out. We couldn't really come up with a word (urban dictionary be dammed) that didn't have weird extra-meanings.
Secondly, Stella is being really really funky about "all kinds". TLer explained it's sort of like "types of mankind" but it's not being used directly in the man-kind sense. It's always a risk with Douman when not doing the volume releases because lines like this tend to be purposefully weird. (Like the "World of the 21st century" line or whatever the hell Kikkuri means by "up there".)

TLer thinks that Mikoto has some secret going on. (He just wants his favorite character to be happy~!)

I was about to leave a comment about how Yoki is 100% at fault because she is the one who said that they're no longer friends, while before it was somewhat even, a fair argument between two disagreeing people. But you changed my mind, Mikoto's mostly in the wrong.

I think Mikoto also knows that she's clearly at a disadvantage. Kikkuri is weird, smart and rich - even without the readers meta knowledge. Yoki has Raimon, gadgets and support. The only person whose ever been fully on Mikoto's side was Stella, and Stella seems to acknowledge a type of kinship there (both being gamers too). So I can see the dream dying + Yoki snapping + the information gap means Mikoto doesn't really have much to fight back against outside of going for hurt.

It almost makes Nagi's line about you have to care for your friends be pretty funny considering what happened to the university lot.

Dex-chan lover
"When I grow up I'm gonna go to space!"
"lol you believe in space? The sky is just the top of the box we're in dumbass."
Kinda brutal Yoki.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, though I don't mean to understate the mental pain she's experiencing at all either. Being "in the wrong" doesn't make her bad, just human, but it was still her mistake. Now Yoki of course isn't an animal, she can think things through more and I'm not trying to destroy her agency, but in thinking about it I think an animal companion is a good analogy. Like imagine someone who's had a long hard day at work/school, one of those days where things don't seem to go right, and then they get home and spend a bunch of time cleaning up the house and nice rug. And shortly after that their dog who has noticed them feeling down tries to bring them her favorite toy to play with, tracking in mud across the rug at the same time. So they snap and scream at the dog. That's simultaneous totally understandable, but also it's obvious the dog had absolutely no idea of their day, no ill intention, and can't understand but was just trying to cheer them up. She wasn't responsible for the long bad day. Most of us would probably feel bad about it after and try to apologize.

Yoki certainly can think more deeply, but she didn't make their world either, and she didn't deserve to be the target of anger she just was conveniently there. Hopefully though this will turn out not be the death of the dream at all, but rather ultimately let them be happy with a new set of possibilities!

I think Mikoto also knows that she's clearly at a disadvantage. Kikkuri is weird, smart and rich - even without the readers meta knowledge. Yoki has Raimon, gadgets and support. The only person whose ever been fully on Mikoto's side was Stella, and Stella seems to acknowledge a type of kinship there (both being gamers too). So I can see the dream dying + Yoki snapping + the information gap means Mikoto doesn't really have much to fight back against outside of going for hurt.
Yeah, some upset at the world itself is justified, but that's a hard thing for a teen (or adult in many cases) to be mad at in the abstract vs focusing it on an individual.

Thanks for the chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread