Wakeari Shinrei Mansion - Ch. 35 - Friends

Double-page supporter
I do wonder if Shinonome is some kind of spirit. Spirits are shown to be able to have very human appearances, and perhaps if a spirit gave off no threatening feeling whatsoever they would be visible to all humans. It does seem like the more "human" their thought process becomes, the less "unnatural" the spirits appear. Spirits in this setting are also shown to be able to take damage and get affected by other spirits' powers. Spirits even see spirits at their "peak" as seen by Yuki's pottery last chapter. Perhaps that has something to do with how she can negotiate with spirits so nonchalantly.

Other than Shinonome acting a bit odd at points, I can't really see anything explicitly supporting that possibility, though. She loves smoking tobacco, which several tenants seem to dislike. Her being chill with spirits could be chalked up to her being built different. And even Otohata has distorted speech, despite being a spirit that has likely never lost her human thought process. I suppose her slapping Suzu around at chapter 19 could be her going up to a blank spirit stage, but I dunno. I could be burning down the kitchen.

I do wonder if Shinonome is some kind of spirit. Spirits are shown to be able to have very human appearances, and perhaps if a spirit gave off no threatening feeling whatsoever they would be visible to all humans. It does seem like the more "human" their thought process becomes, the less "unnatural" the spirits appear. Spirits in this setting are also shown to be able to take damage and get affected by other spirits' powers. Spirits even see spirits at their "peak" as seen by Yuki's pottery last chapter. Perhaps that has something to do with how she can negotiate with spirits so nonchalantly.

Other than Shinonome acting a bit odd at points, I can't really see anything explicitly supporting that possibility, though. She loves smoking tobacco, which several tenants seem to dislike. Her being chill with spirits could be chalked up to her being built different. And even Otohata has distorted speech, despite being a spirit that has likely never lost her human thought process. I suppose her slapping Suzu around at chapter 19 could be her going up to a blank spirit stage, but I dunno. I could be burning down the kitchen.
But what about her acquaintances and job connections?

Reactions: le3
Double-page supporter
But what about her acquaintances and job connections?
We can make as many theories on her past as we want, but I personally don't feel like I can piece together Shinonome's past at the moment. Her family situation, her childhood, what kind of work her parents had (or have, since her father is still somewhere), all that feels a bit shrouded in mystery at the moment.

If we take his theory for granted, ghosts live practically forever, so she could have the time to meet everyone in the city and eventually the kids of friends who eventually end up with a business or know someone that does.
His theory is not that crazy.
As for what Dante is suggesting, I personally do believe that Shinonome is as old as she looks, ghost or not. Investigator Onigata has known her since high school and I think he would comment if she looked just like she did when she was a highschooler. If she was alive for 40 or so years, I think Onigata would smell something being up. I assume she is a young adult and if she really spent most of her waking hours on the grind and swapping jobs (I also assume the grind started while she was a kid), I am not surprised she knows a wide variety of people.

Supporter
Dang art ghost is stacked
1000-F-568082094-1xv-Et1c-P2n-XHa-Ee5-HH1-Do-Pn-Xwz-Ovny-Jo-Copy.jpg

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Awww man I keep thinking of a Jujutsu crossover and it would be so damn funny but alas it would never be... This is so damn good! seriously I hope more and more people get to read this.
Oh okay so we're just calling her mom now? alright :meguu:

• Funny
If we take his theory for granted, ghosts live practically forever, so she could have the time to meet everyone in the city and eventually the kids of friends who eventually end up with a business or know someone that does.
His theory is not that crazy.
sure, but aren't most people unable to see ghosts but then again, these connections can see the ghosts she brings for work so........

Contributor
Dang art ghost is stacked
Always has been.
I can't really see anything explicitly supporting that possibility, though.
The only thing I can think of is all hypotheticals referring to previous chapters. In chapter 4 page 5, the stage 4 rapturous ghost and the spiral ghost arc of chapter 24 to 26 all have the same text distortion plus the tangle word tic that Shinonome used on page 18 of this chapter. Of course, I hope she isn't actually a ghost as I think it would be funnier if she managed to befriend/pressure all these ghosts as a slightly more bizarre human.

Personally I dont think she is a ghost. I think she actually comes from a very strong line of exocist family, just like the Kusakabe. My theory leans on the fact that Suzu once mentioned that she could be a Kotodama user. And after all Shinonome’s way with spirits so far is indeed just talking to them.

Dex-chan lover
The manga feels like it's inching closer to battle-manga territory.

• Classifying ghosts into levels where there's some certain ghosts some can deal with and others that can't.
  • Main characters showcasing unique abilities based on their personality as part of their efforts to fight off ghosts.
  • Getting injured is not serious and is swiftly solved.

Users who are viewing this thread