Wandering Son

I'll be honest, as somebody in a similar boat to Nitorin, this really destroyed me at times. An exceptionally great read, but damn... there's some way too relatable stuff in there.

Dex-chan lover
The last chapters almost made me cry, but I've loved them. I hope it's a real story but even if it isn't, it's still a great story

This mange is very childish, and I don't mean that in a bad way exactly.

Things happen for almost no reason, plots are introduced then forgotten about. Relationships come and go but and none of the character's emotions are clear. The characters are erratic and irrational.

Here are some of my questions at the end of volume 4.

What ever happened to that model plot? Seems like it's straight up gone without any closure.

What about the crossdressing? Why did Shuu stop? Did he stop? What about that tg adult person now that Shuu has (maybe) stopped crossdressing?

Is he in a relationship with Yoshino or are they fighting? Did Shuu and Yoshino confess to each other? What about that diary?

Why did Maho try to pair up Seya and Shuu if Maho was interested in Seya?

I'm so lost.

Overall it seems like the story is being told in a realisticish way, where the emotions aren't clear cut and events happen with little to no greater meaning. Unfortunately, the story isn't being communicated effectively enough to make me feel engaged. Shuu, especially, is like an expressionless mannequin.

This is a really lovely story. The art work, pacing, and characterization are all great. However, I did find it very rose-tinted. I guess that's to be expected from the slice-of-life genre, but I doubt most lgbt people have such a nice childhood. The story doesn't touch any issues sharply (judgment from society, fetishization, mental health, HRT, sex). But I think the author (whom I'm not really familiar with) wanted to tell a comforting, optimistic story about how lgbt youth should be treated, and at that they have definitely succeeded.

a52

Very, very good story that captures experience of being trans very accurately. Probably one of the best expressions of dysphoria I've ever seen in a manga.

There are a few qualms I have with it, but they all involve spoilers from pretty much the whole thing:
I'm not hugely satisfied with the ending. Most of what kept me going through the soap-opera-y bits in the middle was the hope of seeing Nitorin coming out to her parents and becoming her true self full-time. That was implied, but it wasn't quite the radiantly happy ending I was hoping for. It felt a bit inconclusive.

I'm also frustrated that Takatsuki ended up staying as a girl. They hated periods, they wore a binder for almost the entire manga, they even wished they had a penis, for Christ's sake. It seems kind of disingenuous for them to return to being a girl. Of course, maybe I shouldn't judge their gender identity, and people like them do of course exist, but they are just a character after all. It reflects a larger trend I've seen in gender-bender anime where the transfemme person transitions completely but the transmasc person does not, and it's kind of annoying.

The early scenes with Fuki also made me very uncomfortable, with her and Shi groping Takatsuki. I don't know whether the pedophilic tones were intentional or not, but they're worrying either way.

But overall, it's a very good story, one that consumed an entire afternoon and involved quite a bit of crying on my part.

Fed-Kun's army
@a52
the reason for that trend is because in japan one cannot legally change sex unless you get surgery, however Female to Male surgery is basically not worth it, so FtM in japan rarely every legally change their sex, hence the transmasc person staying as a girl in the end is symbolic of this

If you're curious about this manga but you're not especially interested in LGBT whatever, I'd say check it out. The characters are likeable and I empathised with their struggles (I even teared up a little a few times, but I'm a fuckin pussy so it couldn't be helped). The drama got a bit annoying once or twice but it felt realistic; teenage girl drama is just annoying. Nothing crazy happens and there's no shoehorned message from the author. Overall a nice slice-of-life manga; I enjoyed my time with it. Thanks to the folks that worked on this.

Reality Hit the Manga is what I'll sum this up as.

I wish I can be in Nitori's place where I'm able to experience dressing up in sailor-fuku to school.

@smolbaka I mean I feel like there's probably something more worth saying for 123 chapters of manga than "even though it's only been used on a single, background character and not even outright discussed in the manga, I think it's relevant to just say I think that sexual transition surgery is bad and there's absolutely no way it may help someone in a different situation with a different personality and different values and a different mental state(not just referring to higher/lower iq)" like eh just my personal take

@smolbaka

Since we each have a finite time on earth, it shouldn't be wasted worrying about what small minded strangers, or even peers, think. That's one pretty sound lesson to garner from this manga, and my thanks for serving as a sterling example of the kind of assumptive ignorance that is best ignored.

Bravo.

In general, it has a happy-ish ending, but there's a HUGE amount of transphobia shown in the story that makes this really painful to read. I suppose it might be realistic but it's also really rough.

The story in general is hard to follow at times, but that's just Shimura Takako's style.

There are some cute moments. I don't know if I can really say I'd recommend this, though.

Fed-Kun's army
Both "Bokura no Hentai" and "Shishunki Bitter Change" do anything this manga tries to do better. And both actually have a proper ending.

"Bokura no Hentai" deals much better with transsexuality, as in, the author actually contacted an actual transexual and a doctor that worked with people transitioning.

Whilst "Shishunki Bitter Change" deals with puberty and growing up much better.

Still a 7/10 tho.
Worth a read if you've already read the other two mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread