What Does It Mean To Be...? - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Chapter 3 - Lyn

Ah, the spooky month. I think Angel and Jenni’s interactions in this chapter are really good, especially with how awkward Angel is about it and all the things they wonder about girls, like whether they have to change hairstyles often because Jenni does. It makes a lot of sense, given that they’re only 8. And Jenni’s story about the mall security guard is a very sweet one too.

I’m glad there’s some continuity too, like with Angel wanting to dress as a Capmon trainer, and it also helps with that idea that they’re still a boy on the inside. That being said, I wonder how Angel would react if they learned about the existence of tomboys…

Also, of the three kids, I personally have to give Nick the honour of best costume. I really like that mask — it’s freaky in a sort of cool way (plus, that panel where Angel freaks out over it, while Jenni just stares at Nick neutrally is really funny).

And it’s nice that Angel gets a nickname too — I’d noticed that they were the only one who didn’t have one, so it’s great they have one now… but as they say, it does seem like they’re leaning more into their female side with that. Those last few panels are also pretty strange — there’s what looks to be two eggs side by side in a valley with a random door? And one of them seems to be hatching? More mysteries to keep track of…

Users who are viewing this thread