When I Returned to My Hometown, My Childhood Friend was Broken - Ch. 31

Dex-chan lover
Ruining my good vibes with real life traumas. I read to escape reality dammit.

Why couldn't he just be a good guy helping a down and out childhood friend?

But I am happy for the good end and good friend she is having considering her circumstances.

I guess the people coping with the "No bro, she just failed at college, that's all that happened" will finally accept the truth?
It was less about "coping" than it was about just not wanting the series to go down this route. The entire story was built around two things; the relationship between the two protagonists, and the mystery of what happened to the female lead. The #1 rule of writing mysteries is that the answer has to be more interesting than the question, and in this chapter, the author gave the least interesting answer possible. The way she was broken had nothing to do with her as a character, it's literally just because she was a young woman targeted by bad people. From a storytelling standpoint, she might as well have been hit by a car. The worst part is that a male character in this situation absolutely would've gotten a unique backstory (this is an issue with pretty much all of fiction, though).

Dex-chan lover
So it was as bad as I was assuming, she was made to get drunk or roofied and then she got gangraped. I saw it coming, but it still sucks.

Dex-chan lover
It was less about "coping" than it was about just not wanting the series to go down this route.
As for me, I seriously did not expect a reveal that she was raped by a horde of tennis club men. That was not in any way on my radar.

I was certain that she was depressed and disordered on account of peaking in high school and dropping out of college. Being traumatized by rape isn't an outlandish development, but that's largely because her past was deliberately not fleshed out up to this point.

The #1 rule of writing mysteries is that the answer has to be more interesting than the question, and in this chapter, the author gave the least interesting answer possible.
It's as interesting as what I thought was the case up until this chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Ayo fuck that old couple.
I could understand them making a mistake and assuming Touma already knew about her story, they are moving in together after all. But following that up with "She should have been more careful. Once something's broken, there's no putting it back how it was" was super messed up imo.
In the portuguese translation, She (Kyouko) is the one talking, she says: 'I should've been more careful, because once you're broken, there is no return'. I wonder which group got it right.

Double-page supporter
I actually got socially lynched in some forum for stating this because there was a girl that was part of that forum that was raped. As someone who has always stated fact without minding repercussions, that event made me a little mindful than before.

I believe accountability runs in a spectrum. How guilty is someone who gets broken into in her own house? Not at all? Maybe she flaunted jewelry while outside. Maybe not. How about if she left the door unlocked before she slept? How about if she left her wallet outside and it got stolen? The term "victim-blaming" is just some term invented by these white knights to make themselves feel virtuous all the while completely disregarding nuance.
You didn't get socially lynched enough in that forum, based on what I'm reading here.

here pupils are back, her focus is in front of her again! poor girl going through so much, and still so much to go. but finnaly she can see in front of her again

Dex-chan lover
Yep guessed it as alot of people here did too. She most likely trusted her group too much, went drinking with them, got drugged and we know how the rest went.. Hopefully at least it wasnt a full on gang bang..

Users who are viewing this thread