When Will Ayumu Make His Move? - Vol. 17 Ch. 225 - The Final Move

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the translations guys. The "HNA" sfx always make me smiling because it's cute :pacman:

Now Yamamoto-sensei need some rest. He ended all his 3 works in same year. This must be very tiring for making three different stories and drawing them everyday.

While the ending is not that great, he ended all his works naturally so this is an achievement that many mangakas didn't get it.

Hope Yamamoto-sensei next work will be much better.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks, HM, for your diligent work for all these years.
Just a shame this ended with very little fanfare tbh.

Fed-Kun's army
This guy literally learned how to play shogi and eventually crushed Urushi. What a Chad (ouch!). However, I feel like Rin was the best girl, ngl.

Even if it was lackluster, at least we have an ending. If the same could be said for Vagabond or Berserk...

Dex-chan lover
Imagine denying yourself a fulfilling highschool romance because you are an autist too focused on some arbitrary goal. Now you can enjoy your long-distance relationship missing every single milestone on the way.

Dex-chan lover
Couldn't be bothered to continue after the mini Rin arc (where she got dumped, basically)/ Summer festival arc. I am NOT being edged any more by this author and his slow pacing, so I skipped to the end. That said, though, this is it???

Dex-chan lover
Dear god this is pathetic.

The story started out very good. A showcase of a traditional Japanese game, with two people battling it out. Ayumu wants to confess to his senpai, but only after beating her, that's respectable. This worked for the first seventy chapters, until Rin was introduced.

I don't know why she became a love interest. It just soured the end where she would be rejected, worse still that she didn't move on, which in a romcom is tantamount to self-death. She should have been only a supportive friend like Takeru was.

By chapter 100 or so when Urushi realized her feelings, I wondered why she wouldn't confess? She didnt have any commitment that Ayumu had and as a senpai could have taken the lead. Say, confession at chapter 150 and another 70 chapters of dating, really that would have made this an 8/10 or 9/10. Instead, we got a dragged out story that doesn't even end with a kiss, really the shogi ending makes it seem as if nothing happened.

Now, two logical inconsistencies. One, how did Ayumu catch up in the first place? Urushi was established to be a talent at the game from a young age. She was continually practicing during high school. She should've kept winning to reflect how she is more than a moe stereotype. Except, she is a moe stereotype. She was always put into embarrassing situations for the reader to fond over her cute face, while Ayumu remained expressionless thus denying him personality. I was strongly dissapointed to see this dynamic stay for the entire story. It denied the personality growth that both characters deserved. Isntead, I got two stereotypes.

Sakuraku & Takeru was the only thing keeping the story going. They actually confessed and dated, sure without much kissing but that's fine since they both still have one more year of high school. By contrast Ayumu and Urushi are done, this long distance relationship probably won't last.

As for art it was good, if repetitive.

I genuinely believe, based on the prominent featuring of shogi moves and the start and end that the author didn't intend for much romance at all. Rather the main focus would be shogi, with the two going on various competitions and recruiting new members interested in shogi. However some external pressure forced him to make a romcom instead, with the shogi aspects being hollowed out. At this explanation would give the author an excuse for this drek.

5/10, certainly not going on by bookshelf anytime soon.

Cause I stop reading the series for a while, I got to binge read the last parts and the ending, which was great, seeing the build up to the confession and then the confession itself quickly after, was very satisfying. Love the series and love the scanlating team, thank you all for your hardwork.

Users who are viewing this thread