Why does Mangadex log me out when I delete my browsing history?

Aggregator gang
And why then does it insist on showing me that fucking "suspicious activity" page?

I'm not touching my cookies, so I should stay logged in, just like I do on every other site. But no - I get logged out. That implies that Mangadex doesn't want to see my cookies - it wants to see my browsing history - that that's the important thing to this site.

Seems extremely fishy to me. The only thing I can conclude is that you're tracking my browsing history, and punishing me for deleting it.

Solution
MangaDex uses localstorage for most stuff and you/your browser are clearing that whenever you clear the history, I'd suggest re-checking which boxes you're ticking. Websites don't have access to your browsing history.
Watermelon Consumer
Staff
Developer
MangaDex uses localstorage for most stuff and you/your browser are clearing that whenever you clear the history, I'd suggest re-checking which boxes you're ticking. Websites don't have access to your browsing history.

Solution
Aggregator gang
Ah.

So in other words, too fucking bad. Got it

At the very least then, can we get a toggle for that suspicious activity page, so I don't have to look at it every time your wonky system logs me out?

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
At the very least then, can we get a toggle for that suspicious activity page, so I don't have to look at it every time your wonky system logs me out?
Closing the message puts a flag in localstorage so it's not displayed, and this flag persists through logouts until manually cleared. Whatever method you're using to clear your browser history is also wiping localstorage, which is the reason why you're losing your login session and this flag.

Aggregator gang
On Firefox mobile I have exactly and only one box checked to be deleted - "browsing history and local data."

The same thing happens on DuckDuckGo, with Mangadex fireproofed.

And neither one is a problem for any other site I go to. Not one other site logs me out, much less harangues me when I have to log back in.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
On Firefox mobile I have exactly and only one box checked to be deleted - "browsing history and local data."
"local data" presumably includes localstorage.

The same thing happens on DuckDuckGo, with Mangadex fireproofed.
Are you 100% sure it's not still wiping data associated with auth.mangadex.org?

And neither one is a problem for any other site I go to. Not one other site logs me out, much less harangues me when I have to log back in.
The behaviour you're describing can only be caused by deliberately choosing to wipe localstorage for MD. If you were just logging out, it wouldn't be clearing the flag for the suspicious activity warning, which means something you're doing is completely wiping localstorage for MD.

Aggregator gang
"local data" presumably includes localstorage.

Presumably. And presumably, Firefox doesn't consider that to be a problem, since there's no choice more fine-grained than that one. And in fact it's not a problem on any other site I use - just on this one.

Are you 100% sure it's not still wiping data associated with auth.mangadex.org?

Of course not. I'm not a dev - I don't know what it's doing internally.

DuckDuckGo has a button you can tap at any time that instantly deletes all history, and it lets you set exceptions - to whitelist (or "fireproof" as they call it) some sites - so that it doesn't delete whatever it is that it deems to be important for those sites. I have no idea what that is specifically, but again, fireproofing a site is sufficient to keep me logged in on every single site I use except for this one. So it's pretty safe to guess what it's doing - the same thing that Firefox is doing, and the same thing that you're still inexplicably and increasingly frustratingly trying to blame on me.

The behaviour you're describing can only be caused by deliberately choosing to wipe localstorage for MD. If you were just logging out, it wouldn't be clearing the flag for the suspicious activity warning, which means something you're doing is completely wiping localstorage for MD.

Sigh

Again, all I'm doing is using the stock features of the browsers to delete my browsing history in the most precise and limited way possible for each one - with one and only one box ticked on Firefox and with Mangadex fireproofed on DuckDuckGo. And again, that's no problem on any other site I use - it's only on this one that it logs me out.

Fuck it.

Watermelon Consumer
Staff
Developer
So in other words, too fucking bad. Got it
There is not much that can be done on our side. We can't control your browser making the unfortunate decision to bundle "delete browsing history" and "delete localstorage" into a single button.

Sites that are using cookies will not be affected, sites that are using localstorage will, that's all there is to it.

After downloading firefox and duckduckgo browser to test, firefox seems to bundle cookies and localstorage together, with a separate toggle for browsing history, and I did confirm that checking only browsing history does not log me out from mangadex. Don't know if you're on some other operating system or different version of firefox to be seeing history and local data on the same box/button.
Polish_20231006_024352772.png
Duckduckgo, on the other hand, does seem to delete localstorage even for "fireproofed" sites, which is an oversight on their end.

We're unlikely to switch to cookies in the near future (or ever), so all I can suggest is switch to a browser with more fine grained control, stop pressing the button, or live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread