Women abused by men and sold as yuri ones

Contributor
Recently I happened to read another series labelled as a yuri one despite the fact that the FMC is straight and the abused girl that she decides to help has no self will. I thought the trend had already died but it seems male authors keep making these kind of stories, with a shonen demographic target and the morbity traits to attract different readers. All of them follow the same pattern: FMC helps/saves the abused girl who was loyal to her abuser and changes ownership to the FMC, having the abused girl submitted and loyal to said FMC. Then they mask it as a friendship and claim that the few panels where they're close it's enough to claim it to be yuri. Readers that like the bulling/ryona or domination genre are supposed to be the target audience, but then supposed yuri fans defend that this is a genuine yuri series because someone put a tag or just because those few panels. An easy analogy would be making a cheesecake, adding a drop of honey and call the dish "a honey based dessert". Of course these fans are adamant, so there's no use arguing them, but the problem comes when they make it a reference. Thanks to series involving violence towards women in this way there's one can find recommendations of good yuri series when they're not yuri series, which bury down the ones that should be read/watch. The series that started this trend was Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is just a shoujo series with a pretentious development and adheres to what I described previously and regrettably is still a referent and therefore a bad influence both for authors and yuri fans. In three years it'll make thirty years that this twisted point of view is still reigning, I know that some people will ask my head but I couldn't let it slide further. I'd like to say this directly to the authors, but since it's not possible at least I want to warn new and not so new yuri fans not to get fooled by these series.

Dex-chan lover
So the first series you mentioned; is it correct to say that series is a "yuri bait"? Or am I missing something

Contributor
I am talking about one kind of story which formulae keeps being repeated in one work after another. It is not what it's known as yuri bait, it is any series tagged as yuri just because it shows a panel or two with a straight FMC and another woman who's asked or feels compelled to show affection to the one she serves and has no will. So you have the female protagonist who feels no love for the other girl and the other girl that acts as a slave, in a story where the redundant topic is how certain male characters abuse the other girl and in one way or another the protagonist wants to put an end to it.
Yuri bait is simply a series where the author wants to make the readers believe the female characters are in love or will end up as a couple, and it can happen in any genre. The difference is that in yuri bait the characters act on their own volition and imitate yuri scenes/advances without producing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread