Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tensei-ki ~Geboku no Youkai-domo ni Kurabete Monster ga Yowasugiru n da ga~ - Ch. 24.3

Dex-chan lover
There's something funny about Seika going "politicians are power, they slink around in shadows while never having to take true responsibility for what they order others to do" and then the princess just responding with a "wow I can't believe you'd say that... the real important ones are the people...
🥺
", like damn that's the generic pandering answer politicians always go with when people call them out on their shit, lmao.

Dex-chan lover
These shallow, "people are the strongest", ideas sound so fake in stories about an overpowered protagonist who can take on an army by himself.

In the real world, it's not incorrect, but it's also more complex than that. But you can't really expect that kind of nuance in shonen.

Sounds like a "I'm fourteen and this is deep." dialog.
I mean, it is for fourteen year olds.

Dex-chan lover
While I think having the heads of characters next to dialogue bubbles is a nice stylistic touch and helps make it clear who says what, I think it makes a "serious" conversation seem cartoonish and comical.

Dex-chan lover
You've got to love people who don't answer their own question as it is asked.

( paraphrased: )
"What is the strongest piece?
_ My answer is a politician like you who works in the background.
_ And my answer is all of the pieces!"

First, the crowd is not a singular entity. It can be divided and manipulated by different actors with different purposes. As such, I can't agree that it is an answer to a question in singular form.

Second, considering both of their answers only, I'd say the first one is better. Because it has agency and can cunningly manipulate the second one. The crowd as a whole rarely, if ever, acts with agency.

Third, she admits that she's playing the crowd already, because she's both afraid that it might eventually come after her, and convinced that they represent the future of politics. But ultimately, she's still admitting that she's manipulating the crowd, making her a tier above it. Both characters already admitted at this point that strength doesn't just mean physical strength. Even if the current monarchy crumbles, the ability to manipulate a crowd still makes you "stronger" than an amorphous collective with no agenda of its own.

Dex-chan lover
Did she consider changing her kingdom to a republic?

You know, both options have their own advantages and disadvantages. Sure, a republic may sound good on the surface, where people can choose their own leader. But if a certain group manipulates the majority to elect someone who favors their interests, in the end, it's just the same as before.

Dex-chan lover
Adding on to what others have said: The "People" can be easily manipulated and divided in a way a singular person cant. For the powers that be, keeping ahold of their power over the masses is very easy so long as they can put food on the table. To the King, there is far more danger from other aristocrats and elites than there is from the people; oligarchies solve this problem entirely by creating an untouchable ruling class. Bread and circuses are cheap and effective distractions from real problems; combine this with division and creating a society where they hate eachother more than you, and you will never have to worry about being overthrown by a revolution, insurrection, rebellion, or whatever fancy word you call it. Control information and you can poison the well any way you like, define anyone who notices or calls you out a nutcase and conspiracy theorist, sweep away or muddy any wrongdoings, and herd the ignorant and blind masses to whatever reality you want them to worship.
We are living in such a society.

Dex-chan lover
Sure, a republic may sound good on the surface, where people can choose their own leader. But if a certain group manipulates the majority to elect someone who favors their interests, in the end, it's just the same as before.
You need a certain level of free information flow, relative to the size of the country, for any kind of democracy to work well. A small village can easily work with it, but a huge country will have more problems getting votes that aren't out of ignorance. Then again, considering what modern opinions we have around the world today, I'd say that problem isn't fixed yet.

Every form of government is susceptible to manipulation, both against the public and the leaders. Benefits and flaws for everything. It's like Churchill quoted, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the update! Though I do agree that if it's going to take a while anyway, might as well just do the whole chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Wall of Text inbound. Summery: Managment is important, but also stupid. (Feel free to skip.)

Now, maybe this might be a an unpopular opinion, but the people of this forum are open minded enough to not cry down a shitstorm. Even those "parasitic fleas" have their purpose in society. And it has been a very immortant on in the history of society overall. The evil that is management.

It is true that all wealth, all products, all services, all prosperity is generated by the workforce of the people. Might it be scientists and scientific inventions, minerals and mineworkers, food and farmers or mangas and authors. All the things, that make life neat, and those, that are needed for life. But the very most of that prosperity would go to waste, if it doesn't reach out to the people. Specializing on stuff (that you hopefully like doing) is what makes you as a workforce more efficent and therefore more productiv. Ensuring you get all the other stuff you need form other workforces, who also produce more efficent, is the boon of society.
... Now, if all that extra wealth provided by society (mentioned in the spoiler) trickes away again, it is a shame and it will kill people. Enter tribe chiefes, kings, merchents, managers. They might not contribute to the generation of wealth (No, really. No matter how much they optimize workflows to increase workefficency and higher the output, in the end if they don't soil there own hands (depends on the POV), per definition, they do not contribute themself.), but they help to save ... to preserve what has been generated. That is important! So, fulfilling that role, they are no parasites.
...on the other hand, if their antics produce more harm than good other forms of managment would help to preserve transmit more of the generated wealth to society all people ... What was that about rationalize/steamlining again? Those kind of fools should know their place.

From here on other stuff and hateful ranting. Can also skip:

I consent with the argument "a crown is no single entity". It might be, that people unite to reach a single goal, but afterwards they divide again and what follow might be chaos, if that goal was to change society. Then again, never did a society changed accordingly to the wishes of the majority, except the rulers have been extraordanary generous (never really happens), the goals align anyway or the establishment feels threatend enough. Or a society breaks down and maybe things get overall better afterwards. Or not.
In my theory there is no thing like a careful, slow transition of society driven by rational arguments. There is only fear.

Now we could start discussing and thinking of something, that creates so much fear in the hearts of the people in power, that they forfeight these powers and run. As rumor has it in times of the france revolution that thing has been the guillotine. But starting this would be beyond the scope of this comment section. Thank you very much for reading. Somehow writing down those edgy lines filled my heart with glee.

On a side note (I couldn't fit it in or I would have had to create an entire new paragraph...eww), how about letting A.I.s without an ego do the steamlining of wealth distrubution?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread