Usotsuki Satsuki wa Shi ga Mieru - Vol. 9 Ch. 83 - Future

Dex-chan lover
What a ride! I really enjoyed this manga from the very beginning and sad to see it go. At least we still got a 2 part extra left.

Dex-chan lover
I think Sensei's monologue is fine. It gets iffy if you take it as some sort of totally generalize-able moral statement, but it's perfectly coherent if you just take it in the context of Komacchi's situation: she doesn't try to kill anyone, isn't sure of the reasons people die when she's around, and for that matter she's not 100% sure if she's entirely the cause of the deaths or if she just sees that people's deaths are impending but is otherwise blameless.

Taking it that way what he says about poisons also being medicines, standing on the accumulated knowledge of previous generations, and not knowing what might prove useful in the future make perfect sense. For all that he prefaces his speech with a statement that it's all Facts and Logic he ain't actually trying to summarize some perfectly consistent Kantian moral framework; he's trying to cheer up a depressed teenage girl who recently attempted suicide and is still openly flirting with the idea that everyone would be better off if she were dead. His whole spiel amounts to "We don't know if you're causing people to die, but even if you are it's okay for you to keep on living because it ain't like we have the faintest fucking clue about the underlying mechanics of the whole process." And he's not wrong about that, y'know. Komacchi has basically zero agency in all of this. So he once again takes up the mantle of this story's Reasonable Adult Authority Figure and explicitly tells Komacchi that he accepts her just like Satsuki does. So now Komacchi has two people who know about her situation and unambiguously give her the acceptance she's wanted all this time, and she finally seems reasonably content with living.

Also, on a more meta level, taking Sensei's monologue this way makes it dovetail perfectly with what a rather similar character says in the final chapter of the author's previous manga Walk to Death about a character similar to Komacchi, which I'm gonna slap a spoiler tag on:

The detective makes a much less verbose but nearly identical argument that blaming Tokiko for the deaths that happened around her is pointless, that trying to lay blame on her was just causing them to misunderstand her, and thinking that things would have been better off if she were never here wouldn't accomplish anything. He then adds that it's pointless to get lost in hypotheticals and so it's best to just take the course of action that seems best at the time.

It's a very similar argument, 'cept Sensei takes 9 pages to spit out what his predecessor managed in 2.

Plenty of other people have said it by now, but for anyone who hasn't yet: go read Walk to Death if you wanna get a better grasp on what the author was going for with this ending.

Ah yes, the typical yuri manga. Axed lol. Wow, this abrupt ending just shatted on my day. Thanks for the translation!

pretty nice end there, but it feels like theres something missing, i mean i wish we could've seen how her dad gets the info that his daughter can see dead people and that lead to her actions back then XS.

Dex-chan lover
Shame the ending Akira got, do not understand at all how Komichi came out on top when Akira got like literally all of the bonding and closeness and romantically themed panels. Best girl by far

@Beltaro You've done real good work with this, your translations in general are real great! Hope to read whatever you pick up next.

Edit:
Okay so I've been thinking more and rambling on discord and y'know, now I'm mad. I went back and skimmed through the last 20 chapters. Komachi becomes an actual "contender" you could say at chapter 78, when the focus turns to her now that the Prez is dead. What is there is Satsuki finding Komachi on the roof about to commit suicide, and Komachi goes into her backstory. Most of 78 and all the way until the last bit of chapter 81 is just backstory, Komachi explaining her feelings and whatnot. Half a chapter later in chapter 82 we see Satsuki saving Komachi from falling and telling her they will live together, the confession. Half a chapter of actual development of feelings, because no just doing a flashback to explain your backstory for 3 and a bit chapters isn't development, it's just giving some reasoning. Half a chapter of the actual development of feelings, of Satsuki struggling in her mind about Komachi and how she understands and doesn't feel like she can hurt Komachi by saving her. And then she saves her, with what amounts to a confession, and they hug and then lie on the roof. Then, in the final chapter they get a little bit of talking but most of it is just Sensei helping Komachi accept that its okay for her to be alive, something that Satsuki could have done for even just a bit more bonding. But no, instead, Komachi's time as a potential partner lasts for half a chapter, and her time as a partner lasts about a chapter more.

Akira had been developed chapter after chapter for ages. She got done so fucking dirty. She lost to half a chapter of development. Fuck.

Edit 2: Who removed the Girls' Love tag? Like, absolutely shit ending and no like, explicit romance. But like, it was gay throughout and it ended on "we are going to live together for the rest of our lives", so like, it should still be GL?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlo
Neither English nor Japanese is my mother tongue,but I still always catched up on the latest chapter of the comic at magadex and bought 7 volumes of this comic online,No more volume 8 and 9.
So funny that the author let akira and satsuki almost kiss in chapter 77,but is afraid to even let them have a word at the end and pretend it never happened.
This ending is shit from both the plot design and yuri's point.

The whole premise couldn't drag on for much longer but 6 more chapters would have been better.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting ride…but this was totally rushed at the end.
Had some really strong moments but almost everything starts feeling weightless at some points.

What I disliked the most was Akira getting completely shafted, they even teased that her Arc wasn’t over but I guess we had no time for that. Also GL lost today, Satsuki gets 2 GFs but we don’t get to see it.

Double-page supporter
Maybe next month there will be a new panel where Satsuki and Akira are at the altar in wedding dresses :nyoron:

I know the story wasn't as much for GL's romantic sense but I still don't feel like Komachi deserves the position of "always living by your side" more than Akira.

Reactions: Tlo
Dex-chan lover
I think Sensei's monologue is fine. It gets iffy if you take it as some sort of totally generalize-able moral statement, but it's perfectly coherent if you just take it in the context of Komacchi's situation: she doesn't try to kill anyone, isn't sure of the reasons people die when she's around, and for that matter she's not 100% sure if she's entirely the cause of the deaths or if she just sees that people's deaths are impending but is otherwise blameless.

Taking it that way what he says about poisons also being medicines, standing on the accumulated knowledge of previous generations, and not knowing what might prove useful in the future make perfect sense. For all that he prefaces his speech with a statement that it's all Facts and Logic he ain't actually trying to summarize some perfectly consistent Kantian moral framework; he's trying to cheer up a depressed teenage girl who recently attempted suicide and is still openly flirting with the idea that everyone would be better off if she were dead. His whole spiel amounts to "We don't know if you're causing people to die, but even if you are it's okay for you to keep on living because it ain't like we have the faintest fucking clue about the underlying mechanics of the whole process." And he's not wrong about that, y'know. Komacchi has basically zero agency in all of this. So he once again takes up the mantle of this story's Reasonable Adult Authority Figure and explicitly tells Komacchi that he accepts her just like Satsuki does. So now Komacchi has two people who know about her situation and unambiguously give her the acceptance she's wanted all this time, and she finally seems reasonably content with living.

Also, on a more meta level, taking Sensei's monologue this way makes it dovetail perfectly with what a rather similar character says in the final chapter of the author's previous manga Walk to Death about a character similar to Komacchi, which I'm gonna slap a spoiler tag on:

The detective makes a much less verbose but nearly identical argument that blaming Tokiko for the deaths that happened around her is pointless, that trying to lay blame on her was just causing them to misunderstand her, and thinking that things would have been better off if she were never here wouldn't accomplish anything. He then adds that it's pointless to get lost in hypotheticals and so it's best to just take the course of action that seems best at the time.

It's a very similar argument, 'cept Sensei takes 9 pages to spit out what his predecessor managed in 2.

Plenty of other people have said it by now, but for anyone who hasn't yet: go read Walk to Death if you wanna get a better grasp on what the author was going for with this ending.
Tokiko was dumb shitty character was trying to make people blame her and then played a victim, and that admitted to making at least one death more probable on purpose, because she made up her own headcanon about someone's feelings. She made her own manga shit, and now in this one similar to her shitty characters - Komachi, and to some degree Prez - also dragged this manga down horribly, along with annoying preachy argument by author's mouthpiece at the end. At least here Komachi wasn't MC and only spoiled the second half of the manga together with Prez.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, the typical yuri manga. Axed lol. Wow, this abrupt ending just shatted on my day. Thanks for the translation!
The first chapter was a bait, the whole 'yuri' part was a bait, the ending was rushed, the day was ruined. Just kidding. About the day being ruined I mean, everything else stays.
Edit 2: Who removed the Girls' Love tag? Like, absolutely shit ending and no like, explicit romance. But like, it was gay throughout and it ended on "we are going to live together for the rest of our lives", so like, it should still be GL?
What I disliked the most was Akira getting completely shafted, they even teased that her Arc wasn’t over but I guess we had no time for that. Also GL lost today, Satsuki gets 2 GFs but we don’t get to see it.
Maybe next month there will be a new panel where Satsuki and Akira are at the altar in wedding dresses :nyoron:

I know the story wasn't as much for GL's romantic sense but I still don't feel like Komachi deserves the position of "always living by your side" more than AkAkira.
In case you guys didn't read previous comments, this manga never really was GL / Yuri.

it just ends like that ?

What about Satsuki's relationship with her father ?

Dex-chan lover
Oh this is a most unpleasant ending, the satsuki and komachi pairing came out of nowhere when the whole manga has been building up to satsuki and akira, shit has definitely been axed judging from all the unresolved plot points, this is so disappointing aaaaaaaaa

Dex-chan lover
That's a misconception that unfortunately won't die for a while due to trash sites being half-assed and mostly mirroring other manga sites.
Really, that's pretty much the only reason Shoujo Ai didn't die yet, cause any proper manga sites either never used Shoujo Ai or abandoned it later, example, Mangadex, Batoto and Dynasty Scans.
But non of the 3 sites you just mentioned have abandoned it. Mangadex use girls love which is simply shoujo ai translated to english. Batoto use both yuri and GL, as the tag is straight up yuri(GL). Dynasty Scans have the tag as yuri, but say its also called girls love/shoujo ai as basically the first thing when clicking on the tag.

Dex-chan lover
I'm fine with how this ended, personally, there wasn't anywhere else for the story to go after all the antagonists had been dealt with, unless the author wanted to pull some bullshit that an unnamed so far character is now the bad guy.

My only gripe is there was no closure with her dad about her mom's death.

Users who are viewing this thread