Seriously Dating a Succubus - Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation ❤️

Some people love to act like dickheads behind their screen.

Listen only to constructive criticism as shown by some brave fellas here. We improve by making mistakes :thumbsup:

Group Leader
is this proper Translation (not MTL)? if it is, I can help you with the edits if you want (learn the easy way or me doing it).

Dex-chan lover
Damn this scan is shit and the watermarks do nothing but solidify my assessment

Group Leader
At least he’s doing it. We’re still waiting on that budget gyaru manga you were so intent on doing. You’re complaining about not getting typesetters and redrawers, yet you put ridiculous demands on them that doesn’t increase quality in the slightest. You’re literally shooting yourself in the foot.
I would have conceded the "ridiculous demands" assertion in regards to almost any other series I have ever worked on, but that series was one of the only ones that I made no such ridiculous demands. If by "ridiculous demands" you mean the full SFX, well, we didn't do full SFX for that series, which means that the redrawing and typesetting was significantly less work than any of my other series. I have also never imposed deadlines on any series I have ever worked on. All in all, that manga was my least prominent as far as "ridiculous demands" go.

If by "ridiculous demands" you instead mean insisting that my staff perform their tasks to the best of their ability, and also making improvements as they go, then yes. I made ridiculous demands. How dare I demand quality!

If any of these things applied as your meaning by "ridiculous demands", allow me to offer up an explanation for them: they are a matter of respect towards the author. Why do I demand that the work be done to the absolute highest standard we can output? Because anything else would be to do a disservice to the author. A scanlator's job is to translate otherwise unavailable works, not to mutilate them beyond repair. If you can't do something well, it's better not to do it at all. It's not a matter of free or not; poor scanlation is a great disservice to any series.

Were these standards a shot in the foot? No, they were probably far worse, given that neither of the two groups I ran currently operate. Would I lower my standards in hindsight? Not at all.

Am I aware that none of this really matters, and I am probably making a fool of myself with this comment? Yes, very well. Am I going to carry on doing it anyway for no particular logical reason? Yes, indeed I am.

Last edited:
I would have conceded the "ridiculous demands" assertion in regards to almost any other series I have ever worked on, but that series was one of the only ones that I made no such ridiculous demands. If by "ridiculous demands" you mean the full SFX, well, we didn't do full SFX for that series, which means that the redrawing and typesetting was significantly less work than any of my other series. I have also never imposed deadlines on any series I have ever worked on. All in all, that manga was my least prominent as far as "ridiculous demands" go.

If by "ridiculous demands" you instead mean insisting that my staff perform their tasks to the best of their ability, and also making improvements as they go, then yes. I made ridiculous demands. How dare I demand quality!

If any of these things applied as your meaning by "ridiculous demands", allow me to offer up an explanation for them: they are a matter of respect towards the author. Why do I demand that the work be done to the absolute highest standard we can output? Because anything else would be to do a disservice to the author. A scanlator's job is to translate otherwise unavailable works, not to mutilate them beyond repair. If you can't do something well, it's better not to do it at all. It's not a matter of free or not; poor scanlation is a great disservice to any series.

Were these standards a shot in the foot? No, they were probably far worse, given that neither of the two groups I ran currently operate. Would I lower my standards in hindsight? Not at all.

Am I aware that none of this really matters, and I am probably making a fool of myself with this comment? Yes, very well. Am I going to carry on doing it anyway for no particular logical reason? Yes, indeed I am.
States that they’re not shooting themselves in the foot by writing a huge essay, proceeds to end that essay by shooting themselves in the foot.

Genius.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL.

It might not have been perfect, but it wasn't that bad. Honestly, reading the thread I can't remember anything I might have complained much about.

I have a list with a ton of partually translated completed series that have been inactive for a year or two that I'd love to see finished so I'm not going to shit on anybody putting decent work in.

Dex-chan lover
States that they’re not shooting themselves in the foot by writing a huge essay, proceeds to end that essay by shooting themselves in the foot.

Genius.
I’ve argued so much with him over the years I’m getting tired of it. Especially the part of making high quality scans to not make a disservice towards the author. Like, if you make an illegal product that’s better quality than the official product, you’re going to reduce the likelihood of it getting livensed and getting sales, because your scanlation directly competes with the official product. There’s a reason places like comic-walker, nico nico seiga, mangaplus and the places provide free but lower quality products, and that’s to make an incentive to buy the high quality product. You obviously don’t make the scanlations high quality for the author, as that would hurt them. You make them for yourself. Anything else is just fooling yourself.

For me, I try to use magazine scans or even raws from comic-walker or nico nico seiga or places like that, and avoid using volume raws for this reason. And even though I try making the translation as readable and fluent as I can, I do not otherwise try to compete with an official product. In essence my work is no different than the one you get for free otherwise, it’s basically a translation with simple redrawing and typesetting. Definitely enough and I actually like it clean like that, but more or less in the same quality as mangaplus or similar and not in direct competition with an eventual later official product.

I also more or less only work on manga that’s available for free, and only release when the free releases have been released. That way I think that my work will be more benefial to the author, as it build interest, hype, and popularity, but doesn’t ruin hope of a licensing. And also because they’d have a hard time getting legal on me when I use raws available for free I guess, though that’s secondary.

Dex-chan lover
is this proper Translation (not MTL)? if it is, I can help you with the edits if you want (learn the easy way or me doing it).
The easiest way to tell that it’s MTL if you don’t know Japanese and can’t compare it to the original text, is when handwritten text isn’t translated. Having said that, usually handwritten text consists of hiragana and katakana and can be put manually in a translator, and kanji can be figured out from the handwriting tool in google translator. It looks way more convincible with handwritten text translated, and sfxs having notes or translations beside them. If you edit up the MTL properly, it’s more or less impossible to tell. You might miss out on puns, double meanings, maybe somewhat wrong meaning of a word or something like that, but probably not worse than a novice translator would’ve done.

OCR is getting better at picking up handwritten text, but isn’t perfect, and sometimes you have to add some kanji or hiragana to the translator yourself. But it’s way better than it was just a couple of years ago.

Group Leader
Especially the part of making high quality scans to not make a disservice towards the author. Like, if you make an illegal product that’s better quality than the official product, you’re going to reduce the likelihood of it getting livensed and getting sales, because your scanlation directly competes with the official product.
That's literally not how it works. Publishers gauge a series' popularity and profitability and get into talks with the Japanese publishers on if they're interested in having the work released in other languages. Sometimes it's the opposite and the Japanese publisher seeks out overseas publishers for their work.
Presence of a good scanlation does not negatively impact the business decision of publishing houses, because scanlation or not, they're not making money off it in that target market.

So what happens if you release a subpar scanlation and it never gets picked up by a publisher either? Now your choices are between that subpar scanlation and reading the RAW. Very rarely will you have someone redo a series due to the time and effort involved, and if that doesn't happen, that is how that work will be immortalized outside its native language. Perhaps it's a dying sentiment in this age of MTL quantity over quality slop, but some people prefer to do it right the first time.

Dex-chan lover
That's literally not how it works. Publishers gauge a series' popularity and profitability and get into talks with the Japanese publishers on if they're interested in having the work released in other languages. Sometimes it's the opposite and the Japanese publisher seeks out overseas publishers for their work.
Presence of a good scanlation does not negatively impact the business decision of publishing houses, because scanlation or not, they're not making money off it in that target market.

So what happens if you release a subpar scanlation and it never gets picked up by a publisher either? Now your choices are between that subpar scanlation and reading the RAW. Very rarely will you have someone redo a series due to the time and effort involved, and if that doesn't happen, that is how that work will be immortalized outside its native language. Perhaps it's a dying sentiment in this age of MTL quantity over quality slop, but some people prefer to do it right the first time.
That sounds more like your opinion and an excuse than any sort of facts to be honest. You can logically conclude that a high quality release will reduce sales, and ruin an eventual licensing. Jahy’s author is the most known face of this, as she made an well known tweet because high quality scanlations was ruining her chance of getting her series licensed. In the end you only care about your own egostical wants and not the better for either the manga or the artist, and in the end you ruin it for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread