Getting Shot on the Frying Pan - Vol. 4 Ch. 20 - Holy War Ramen

Group Leader
kinda hope the author also tries to enter the restaurant and experience it first-hand

there's also that kind of restaurant in here, and it's a cult of vegan

like, really they put out poster and magazine about how good vegan diet is and the usual yapping about meat bad etc

Dex-chan lover
The guy judges the people serving him nonstop, sets their gift on fire, and, upon seeing something gruesome happened to the place, thinks "they could have just been normal". I can't help but be a little disappointed that the afterword is just talking about stuff from the previous chapter, instead of discussing the one we just read. Like, there's nothing there to dig into, having a chapter starring somebody who is the complete opposite of the mangaka?

Dex-chan lover
The guy judges the people serving him nonstop, sets their gift on fire, and, upon seeing something gruesome happened to the place, thinks "they could have just been normal"
Because it's a cult, some are downright creepy in how openly obsessively persistent and pushy they are. Most of them just want your money but a lot of the followers genuinely believe in the bullshit they're preaching. The editor's opinion of them probably wouldn't be so negative about it all if they hadn't literally forced upon him their bullshit

Dex-chan lover
Because it's a cult, some are downright creepy in how openly obsessively persistent and pushy they are. Most of them just want your money but a lot of the followers genuinely believe in the bullshit they're preaching. The editor's opinion of them probably wouldn't be so negative about it all if they hadn't literally forced upon him their bullshit
They didn't bug him at the airport or come knocking at his door. He visited their establishment, they left him alone and let him read their material while he waited for his order, and they gave him a souvenir. And, while it's entirely his right to be judgmental, it is a significant departure from the usual "go to a place, learn about the culture, have a respectful monologue about it leading up to the food".

Dex-chan lover
@talihem it’s OK if you think he was rude, but don’t let the Scientologists in.

Remember this is Japan. Quasi-religious health nuts released sarin gas on the subway. (And a different group did serial murders in the 70s). So. Response is gonna vary.

Cults in Japan are viewed less like Hare Krishna and more like Heaven's Gate, or the Manson family. Not just off-beat, but actively dangerous.

Not to mention It would be distressing for a Japanese person to eat while surrounded by books that reject hygiene.

Dex-chan lover
Cults in Japan are viewed less like Hare Krishna and more like Heaven's Gate, or the Manson family. Not just off-beat, but actively dangerous.

Not to mention It would be distressing for a Japanese person to eat while surrounded by books that reject hygiene.
If this was a different semi-autobiographical manga, I wouldn't have qualms with that. But when you start with
aqlkgs.png

it stops holding water. Now, the guy this chapter follows and the guy it usually follows are different people, they're not going to have the same level of tolerance, but when it's just completely antithetical to the what's come before it, I would have expected the mangaka to at least touch on that a little in the afterword, if not the chapter itself. He doesn't have to get up on a soapbox like he did for the mystery honey one, he doesn't have to denounce his buddy, I just want to hear his thoughts about the difference here.

Dex-chan lover
If this was a different semi-autobiographical manga, I wouldn't have qualms with that. But when you start with
aqlkgs.png

it stops holding water. Now, the guy this chapter follows and the guy it usually follows are different people, they're not going to have the same level of tolerance, but when it's just completely antithetical to the what's come before it, I would have expected the mangaka to at least touch on that a little in the afterword, if not the chapter itself. He doesn't have to get up on a soapbox like he did for the mystery honey one, he doesn't have to denounce his buddy, I just want to hear his thoughts about the difference here.
I did also find the perspective difference interesting, even how he draws the character

The author did not attend an actual cartel execution. None of the places he has eaten are dangerous. Remember that this is a casual food report manga.

He is interested in food from places that are slightly off the beaten path by the standards of middle-class Japanese working professionals. He's not eating bushmeat in Darfur.

Group Leader
The first chapter is intentionally misleading but yeah, that was never a person. It was just some beef tenderloin tossed into a fire.

Dex-chan lover
The author did not attend an actual cartel execution. None of the places he has eaten are dangerous. Remember that this is a casual food report manga.

He is interested in food from places that are slightly off the beaten path by the standards of middle-class Japanese working professionals. He's not eating bushmeat in Darfur.
Now that you mention it someone gotta tell sensei on twitter LMAO

Dex-chan lover

I didn't say he attended an execution, but it is a completely different perspective from the guy this chapter follows. He's talking to somebody who goes out of his way to tell him the beef is being cooked the same way cartels execute people, and the worst he ever thinks of the experience is "the smell of burning meat and fabric is awful". This is his attitude throughout, trying to understand the people he meets while avoiding judgment. The worst he ever gets is, what, being firm with the taxi driver? Saying how that editor treated him wouldn't fly these days?

They didn't bug him at the airport or come knocking at his door. He visited their establishment, they left him alone and let him read their material while he waited for his order, and they gave him a souvenir. And, while it's entirely his right to be judgmental, it is a significant departure from the usual "go to a place, learn about the culture, have a respectful monologue about it leading up to the food".
It's in line with his previously expressed sentiments– he's not eager to pass judgement on foreign cultures heKs not familiar with, especially when he generally lacks contextual understanding of situations beyond what he gets from his companions. In this case, it's his home country of Japan, and furthermore, cults are an issue embedded within the cultural consciousness in a deeply negative way. If we want to narrow in on specifics, the editor-in-chief narrating here estimates that this story took place about 30 years ago, which puts us around the timeframe of the Sarin Gas Attack, a cult perpetrated act of domestic terrorism that remains the deadliest act of terrorism in Japan to this day. There's a lot more going on here than most other chapters from which the characters can develop negative biases they feel justified in having.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
GPS7Vcj.png

Which one of these cute fanatics (males) do you choose to be sacrificed on the altar of their cute religion ?

Dex-chan lover
GPS7Vcj.png

Which one of these cute fanatics (males) do you choose to be sacrificed on the altar of their cute religion ?
honestly because that one part saying "indie idol group" i kinda wanted to assume that most of them are female.

also i'm calling dibs on this one

M6WWVjJ.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread