The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 26 Ch. 105 - The Day the Game Ended

Dex-chan lover
The anime (and I assume LN) made him out to think this was all a video game, right? I kind of hope he just acts like a narcissist without involving games here, because the game thing was dumb. If Ren's just a douche in general, him getting corrected will be much easier to accept.

Though, Naofumi is right; the people of that world are garbage. They treated him like that, but now they ride him like he's their sugar daddy. It's tough being in the right.

Dex-chan lover
Thats quite the unhealthy coping mechanism hes created. Full on narcissism.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the sword hero the one who basically treated everything like a video game from the beginning? I vaguely remember all of them effectively did this, but one of the other three heroes used game terminology almost exclusively for everything he did and everyone around him.
If that was the sword hero then the only real thing that has changed is that he is starting to understand that this clearly is not simply a video game. When people die and things go wrong, which he is seeing can clearly happen, there is no turning things back by "loading" a "save" or "restarting" the "game".
Yes, he is being very narcissistic, but he's coping with tragedy the way he coped with being summoned to another world.

Or, I am misremembering who he is (or even that a character like that existed)...

P.S. I am, in no way, trying to excuse his behavior, simply explaining it.
Also, @WanRa and @Werebearguy probably said what I wanted to say better.

Dex-chan lover
The anime (and I assume LN) made him out to think this was all a video game, right? I kind of hope he just acts like a narcissist without involving games here, because the game thing was dumb. If Ren's just a douche in general, him getting corrected will be much easier to accept.

Though, Naofumi is right; the people of that world are garbage. They treated him like that, but now they ride him like he's their sugar daddy. It's tough being in the right.
The thing is, and I believe this was discussed early in the series, the Three Heroes all played games based off of the Waves before being summoned. They are fundamentally inclined to believe that because this world works identically to those games, they just ended up summoned, isekai'd, trapped in a video game or whatever to some dream fantasy to be the heroes. Combine this with their shitty personalities and it effectively comes off as being indoctrinated to be aloof, game-thinking minmax bastards.

The big thing for Naofumi is that besides the accusations against him, he had no experience with those games whatsoever and thus wasn't exposed to the preconception that they had. Hell, leading up to the Spirit Turtle, that was pointed out to be a big advantage of his mechanically as well as he found out new tricks they didn't know, but the heroes refused to unlearn what they did in the games or ingratiate themselves to him for it.

Dex-chan lover

The thing about the Video Games are integral to their characters, the 3 other heroes all treated this world like it was a game because it was so similar to a game they played. On top of that the 3 heroes and Naofumi all have personality problems, it’s just that Naofumi never played a game similar to this world so it doesn’t manifest itself in the same manner as the other 3

Dex-chan lover
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the sword hero the one who basically treated everything like a video game from the beginning? I vaguely remember all of them effectively did this, but one of the other three heroes used game terminology almost exclusively for everything he did and everyone around him.
If that was the sword hero then the only real thing that has changed is that he is starting to understand that this clearly is not simply a video game. When people die and things go wrong, which he is seeing can clearly happen, there is no turning things back by "loading" a "save" or "restarting" the "game".
Yes, he is being very narcissistic, but he's coping with tragedy the way he coped with being summoned to another world.

Or, I am misremembering who he is (or even that a character like that existed)...

P.S. I am, in no way, trying to excuse his behavior, simply explaining it.
Also, @WanRa and @Werebearguy probably said what I wanted to say better.

nah you are generally right, none of them took things as seriously as they should have, assuming no real consequences.
Even when things went wrong, up til that point, they always came out on top somehow or another. Heroes always win in the end. and then they didn't. and the consequences aren't going away this time. and they don't really know how to deal with that.

and since the world ran on RPG powers, it clearly ran on RPG logic too, so they were all dead-set in their assumptions. and those are starting to be proven wrong in ways they can't refute. Naofumi wasn't involved so they can't blame him at all like usual.

Ren was better than the other 2, his issues were more being extremely stubborn and not communicating rather than extremely stupid (Motoyasu) or extremely full of himself (Itsuki). His party actually liked him, which is why they stuck around despite his faults (Motoyasu and Itsuki's bailed against the turtle).

So Ren is taking this extremely hard and has no fucking clue how to cope with it since this overwhelming FAILURE went and smashed his worldview up til now.

Dex-chan lover
Well, 💩 it got depressing real fast. And when he’s like that I don’t want to imagine how the bow is dealing with things.

Dex-chan lover
The thing about the Video Games are integral to their characters, the 3 other heroes all treated this world like it was a game because it was so similar to a game they played. On top of that the 3 heroes and Naofumi all have personality problems, it’s just that Naofumi never played a game similar to this world so it doesn’t manifest itself in the same manner as the other 3
Just to clarify, out of all the 4 heroes we get, Naofumi is the only one to be better off because…

The 4 hero weapons chose which people they summoned, out of all the 4, Shield will always summon its 1st choice. Other weapons may fail summoning their 1st choice so the 2nd choice that is much less desirable got summoned.

Naofumi got summoned while knowing a Novel based on this world, others have different preconceptions because their game have different mechanics and genre altogether. All the heroes will end up with sin weapons one way or another, on Ren case it will make him constantly poor

The 3 heroes all died during their previous life because of their bad personalities.
Being reincarnated with superpowers certainly didn't help.
As long they think they are invincible they will cause countless victims everywhere
Hmmm, based on the anime. Ren is quite a good kid, he is still young. He died in previous life because he took cover for his classmate. I don't think it has anything to do with his bad personalities. I hope he can overcome the first big crisit/ failure in his life

Users who are viewing this thread