“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Dex-chan lover
Sisters acting like such a bitch. Also people are pretty hard on the 2 girls, for what? What have they done? The mangaka draws them in a sketchy light but really, they haven't done anything.
They stalked the dude for god knows how long, burned someone else's possessions, and now they're deliberately driving a wedge between him and his family. The mother and daughter are both in on this plan to have the daughter try seducing the guy.

This is the rational response to leaving your child with your brother, then finding out that not only did he pawn it off on someone else, but then they both immediately disappeared.
But just to be clear SISTER-IN-LAW WAS CLEARLY WRONG HERE. SHE LASHED OUT AT THEM WITHOUT EVEN CARING BASED ON HER OWN ASSUMPTIONS. EVEN THE ONE AGAINST HER BROTHER WAS CRUEL.
no one can defend her here, she wasn't threatened or harmed. Just imagine it was an actual naive kid in that place and that they got lost while she's suspicious of them
The one person she entrusted her child to had immediately pawned it off and lost it. This is an under-reaction, if anything.

Dex-chan lover
Sisters acting like such a bitch. Also people are pretty hard on the 2 girls, for what? What have they done? The mangaka draws them in a sketchy light but really, they haven't done anything.
They very clearly manipulate situations and people to bring out the worst in them and have very skewed family complexes, but objectively speaking they really aren't bad people? Even in regard to manipulating Papa for their own ends, they do seem to genuinely love him, if not respect his autonomy and desires. In another series, they wouldn't be the antagonists so much as traumatized people living in a rough world that doesn't respect single mothers.

The incest plot would be a...interesting monkey wrench to everything but I don't think anyone would say they wouldn't be sympathetic.

Which brings me to the fact that Chika REALLY WAS just going to slap the SHIT out of Touko. Right in front of her mom. While also going "YOU DON'T KNOW REAL PARENTING".
She might genuinely have worse mental issues than anyone else in this series. What the fuck is her problem?

Dex-chan lover
They stalked the dude for god knows how long, burned someone else's possessions, and now they're deliberately driving a wedge between him and his family. The mother and daughter are both in on this plan to have the daughter try seducing the guy.

This is the rational response to leaving your child with your brother, then finding out that not only did he pawn it off on someone else, but then they both immediately disappeared.
I don't remember that at all, gonna have to re-read.

This isn't a rational response at all, she's not "someone else" as in some stranger, she's his daughter. He left his nephew with his daughter who was with them, not like he ditched the kid and left on his own. His sister flips out over nothing.

Dex-chan lover
They very clearly manipulate situations and people to bring out the worst in them and have very skewed family complexes, but objectively speaking they really aren't bad people? Even in regard to manipulating Papa for their own ends, they do seem to genuinely love him, if not respect his autonomy and desires. In another series, they wouldn't be the antagonists so much as traumatized people living in a rough world that doesn't respect single mothers.
Don't forget the part where they had a whole list of men they stalked before choosing him specifically, and they were burning someone else's clothes.
Which brings me to the fact that Chika REALLY WAS just going to slap the SHIT out of Touko. Right in front of her mom. While also going "YOU DON'T KNOW REAL PARENTING".
She might genuinely have worse mental issues than anyone else in this series. What the fuck is her problem?
This is a perfect sane, reasonable response to finding out some stranger just disappeared with your infant child.
This isn't a rational response at all, she's not "someone else" as in some stranger, she's his daughter. He left his nephew with his daughter who was with them, not like he ditched the kid and left on his own. His sister flips out over nothing.
She left the kid with HIM. Not the girl. You don't just hand children off to other people just because you know them. I'd be reluctant to do that if I broke my leg!

Dex-chan lover
Oh shit. OH SHIT. Both mother and daughter are into it. They're trying to isolate the guy, like what abusers do. Well I'd say the mom is probably the source rather than the daughter.

Dex-chan lover
That's enough time in the basement with you, time to touch grass
You're the one who needs to touch grass and grow up. Having kids is the fundamental experience of life which our entire psychology evolved to achieve. It's astoundingly juvenile and lacking in self-awareness to think that you're fully developed as a human when you've never done that. It's sort of like a farmer who has only ever harvested but never sown the fields for next season himself thinking he's a fully developed farmer, or a football team who has only practiced passing and defending but not scoring goals thinking they're a fully developed football team.

Fed-Kun's army
Sisters acting like such a bitch. Also people are pretty hard on the 2 girls, for what? What have they done? The mangaka draws them in a sketchy light but really, they haven't done anything
You are the type of that have to be told everything in a literal sense otherwise you wont understand. You need to learn at taking hints on things

Dex-chan lover
Well at least they didn't die
But well fucking play, I thought they would blackmail the sister but creating a rift with his family to isolate him is such a twist

Oh my Lord they friggin planned the whole thing! As fcked as this manga is even I didnt see that coming… and now I feel like the sister is gonna get it bad.. like expose what shs’s hidding to everyone she knows… God speed lil sis… you messed with the wrong mother daughter combo. And I just feel sorry for the guy.

Dex-chan lover
Don't forget the part where they had a whole list of men they stalked before choosing him specifically, and they were burning someone else's clothes.

This is a perfect sane, reasonable response to finding out some stranger just disappeared with your infant child.

She left the kid with HIM. Not the girl. You don't just hand children off to other people just because you know them. I'd be reluctant to do that if I broke my leg!

You'd be pissed if your brother let his daughter hold your baby? Holy helicopter parent.

You think slapping the girl who for all you know got lost in the crowd, is a sane response?

Obviously the girl and mom are evil and planned this but the sister totally over reacted trying to smack someone else's kid for getting lost after they just apologized. To tell the truth, the sister has been acting crazy since the beginning over reacting to everything the girl says. I get that it's the author trying to warn us and have a character with some hindsight but it comes off as really unnatural and aggressive.

I hope the girl and her mother get stopped and go to jail and get everything they deserve and more for the evil they have done even before they met mc but she is still a kid and the sister is a grown ass adult so I wouldn't be on her side either in this situation.

Dex-chan lover

The one person she entrusted her child to had immediately pawned it off and lost it. This is an under-reaction, if anything.
She's right to be angry, no one is arguing against that. Hell, even in regards to being famliy, Touko is 17-18. How the fuck you get lost like that (under the idea that it wasn't intentional)? Especially with your baby cousin.
But going to strike someone else's kid and saying "YOU WILL NEVER HAVE REAL CHILDREN" is psychotic, Karen-level behavior. It is the same as Yurika's Mom, it doesn't matter how manipulated or angry you are, domestic abuse is not an answer!

And disregarding the physical abuse...you say you trust your brother and care for his well-being. But not respecting his decisions and views on the world, especially with you being the YOUNGER sister with a MARITAL AFFAIR, is unsympathetic behavior. She doesn't value his choice in women, his choice to not have children, or even his attempt at taking responsibility for his mistake.
She's not a reasonable person.

Nawh that just means you're making shit up and falling for the red herring.
Nah, it ain't a red herring, they are DEFINITELY planning some heinous shit, by default the incest and technical ephebophilia is no bueno. It just on an actual outsider view of things, not knowing of their plot or past relationships (highly likely they killed the father), they are a well-adjusted duo despite being a young, sickly mother and attention-starved kid.

Dex-chan lover
BTW the sister didn't do anything wrong.
Calling her crazy when she got angry that her baby got lost is totally out of order and shows a blatant lack of understanding by him.
A normal , reasonable, mature person in his situation would have just continued saying sorry while the sister was angry because he would understand that it's natural and normal for a mother to be angry that her very young baby got lost. they wouldn't try to tell the mother off for being angry. If you do that then you deserve at the very least a verbal dressing down and telling off, plus her final criticism was actually pertinent and valid.
The brother isn't justified in acting like it's unreasonable for his sister to tell him that he can't understand because he hasn't had kids when the fact is he just lost her baby and then tried to tell her off and call her unreasonable for being angry after he lost her baby.
Even slapping the teenage girl in this case turns out to be correct and justified since the sister is able to correctly tell that the teenage girl intentionally took away the baby and pretended to get lost in the crowd as an excuse. This also shows the sister's correct intuitions.

You can only argue that she did things wrong from a tactics and strategy perspective, i.e. her actions lead to her losing influence over her brother. But morally she's totally in the right.

Dex-chan lover
Obviously the girl and mom are evil and planned this but the sister totally over reacted trying to smack someone else's kid for getting lost after they just apologized. To tell the truth, the sister has been acting crazy since the beginning over reacting to everything the girl says. I get that it's the author trying to warn us and have a character with some hindsight but it comes off as really unnatural and aggressive.

I hope the girl and her mother get stopped and go to jail and get everything they deserve and more for the evil they have done even before they met mc but she is still a kid and the sister is a grown ass adult so I wouldn't be on her side either in this situation.
it isn't an over-reaction when you can tell that the teenage girl intentionally walked off with your baby and lied about getting lost in the crowd

Users who are viewing this thread