“Okaeri, Papa” - Ch. 18 - Rift

Dex-chan lover
You'd be pissed if your brother let his daughter hold your baby? Holy helicopter parent.
Yes. Especially if it's not his daughter. Like, imagine handing off a child to someone else, then leaving it at that. Even if I were in the guy's position, and my arm was twisted, she would'nt be leaving my sight. Hell, I'd have her sit down somewhere, just in case she drops the baby.
To tell the truth, the sister has been acting crazy since the beginning over reacting to everything the girl says. I get that it's the author trying to warn us and have a character with some hindsight but it comes off as really unnatural and aggressive.
Everyone sees what she's on about but the brother at this point. He's the only one that hasn't caught on to the weird vibe they give off.
Nah, it ain't a red herring, they are DEFINITELY planning some heinous shit, by default the incest and technical ephebophilia is no bueno. It just on an actual outsider view of things, not knowing of their plot or past relationships (highly likely they killed the father), they are a well-adjusted duo despite being a young, sickly mother and attention-starved kid.
Everyone seems to forget the stalking chapter.

BTW the sister didn't do anything wrong.
Calling her crazy when she got angry that her baby got lost is totally out of order and shows a blatant lack of understanding by him.
A normal , reasonable, mature person in his situation would have just continued saying sorry while the sister was angry because he would understand that it's natural and normal for a mother to be angry that her very young baby got lost. they wouldn't try to tell the mother off for being angry. If you do that then you deserve at the very least a verbal dressing down and telling off, plus her final criticism was actually pertinent and valid.
The brother isn't justified in acting like it's unreasonable for his sister to tell him that he can't understand because he hasn't had kids when the fact is he just lost her baby and then tried to tell her off and call her unreasonable for being angry after he lost her baby.
Even slapping the teenage girl in this case turns out to be correct and justified since the sister is able to correctly tell that the teenage girl intentionally took away the baby and pretended to get lost in the crowd as an excuse. This also shows the sister's correct intuitions.

You can only argue that she did things wrong from a tactics and strategy perspective, i.e. her actions lead to her losing influence over her brother. But morally she's totally in the right.
"She's outta line. But she's right."

Dex-chan lover
You'd be pissed if your brother let his daughter hold your baby? Holy helicopter parent.

You think slapping the girl who for all you know got lost in the crowd, is a sane response?
but she knows the girl didn't get lost in a crowd you dummy. She can tell the girl is obviously lying.
Obviously if you were in a crowd and suddenly a few people came between your mum and the uncle of the baby you're holding, you'd shout to get their attention so that you'd know where they are. Instead she just flat disappeared silently without a trace.
completely unbelievable. the sister can correctly tell that the daughter intentionally walked off alone with the baby.

it isn't an over-reaction when you can tell that the teenage girl intentionally walked off with your baby and lied about getting lost in the crowd
Sister is suspicious of her but it wasn't implied she knew this specific event was on purpose. We the readers know it was on purpose but the sister didn't show any signs of knowing within this chapter. It was shown only as being an emotional response not one from deduction.

Also I'm pretty sure the author intended it to be a bit over the top because she was on edge from her suspicions and from the call she just had that she wasn't too happy about. I'm guessing she has some really bad stuff going on, and the girl, being evil and manipulative, probably already knows what it is and is using that to get her more on edge. Like how she found out about the classmate's abusive mother and stalker.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So that's their endgame ? x_x..

Isolation him from everyone else and just having him for "themselves" ?..

Or was their plan to make him think about kids himself (which seems sorta overkill, since she could literally just ask, I mean she's his wife o_o)

Dex-chan lover

You think slapping the girl who for all you know got lost in the crowd, is a sane response?
In fairness, is important to remember that she knew of these two for like 2 days, less than a week tops? Calling them strangers isn't TECHNICALLY wrong and not a great judgement call on Papa's part to trust them with another's child. Still a teenager, after all.
It just unreasonable under the idea that nothing went wrong and being your brother's wife and child (and knowing that said wife is not all put together). It his responsibility to handle that fuck up, not hers.

but she knows the girl didn't get lost in a crowd you dummy. She can tell the girl is obviously lying.
Obviously if you were in a crowd and suddenly a few people came between your mum and the uncle of the baby you're holding, you'd shout to get their attention so that you'd know where they are. Instead she just flat disappeared silently without a trace.
completely unbelievable. the sister can correctly tell that the daughter intentionally walked off alone with the baby.
She didn't, at least from the few panels we see her cross-examining Touko. She didn't figure out she walked off intentionally, nor she would think Touko is that kind of manipulator. Strange and untrustworthy, but not evil. She just knows whatever plan she has in store, she needs to leave her kid out of it.

Hell, the idea of walking off with a child only to sit in silence, waiting to be found just to provoke you sounds like a stupid plan anyway. Normal world, that idea would backfire hard if she just accepted Papa's apology or not attack the fertility issues there.

Again. Unreasonable woman.

Dex-chan lover
When every girl. IS. A. KUSHIDA.
I feel sorry for the MC in this story...

Here he is trying to live his life and all the women around him add to the drama pile

Fellas, this is why you don't share your vulnerabilities with anyone

They'll turn those weaknesses on you when you least expect it

Dex-chan lover
Yes. Especially if it's not his daughter. Like, imagine handing off a child to someone else, then leaving it at that. Even if I were in the guy's position, and my arm was twisted, she would'nt be leaving my sight. Hell, I'd have her sit down somewhere, just in case she drops the baby.

Everyone sees what she's on about but the brother at this point. He's the only one that hasn't caught on to the weird vibe they give off.

Everyone seems to forget the stalking chapter.

"She's outta line. But she's right."
THIS. THE SISTER'S INTUITION IS SHARP LIKE Y'KNOW A RAPE VICTIM.

Dex-chan lover
So that's their endgame ? x_x..

Isolation him from everyone else and just having him for "themselves" ?..

Or was their plan to make him think about kids himself (which seems sorta overkill, since she could literally just ask, I mean she's his wife o_o)
It is clear it is both, since they have to change his mind on not wanting kids in the first place, and I think they weren't even expecting that reaction from Chika either. Even they look shocked at such a callous statement.

The mother needs Touko to do it. Why, we don't know, but it is clear that she wants her to carry the baby.

Dex-chan lover
You know I find it kinda funny there are people defending the sister. Her overreacting is not warranted just because she's suspicious of her brother's daughter. It explains why she's acting like this but anyone reasonable person who is an onlooker would rightfully say she is in the wrong.

The brother isn't going crazy like she is because he trusts his daughter and was worried that she went missing. His sister on the other hand is suspicious of his daughter and thinks she's going to do something nefarious. With all said and done the daughter apologized and her aggressive action looks bad on her. She can get mad but acting like a Karen bitch and then trying to hit the girl apologizing to you is a bad look and shows unstableness.

The brother being the mature person he is tried to calm her down. Because her rabidness is not helping the current situation. A mature person like some other commentator wrongly described is someone who analyzes the situation and tries to bring back rationale. Letting the sister throw what is essentially a hissy fit so she feels vindicated is not the mature thing to do.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
The sister is right not to trust the daughter and the wife, as I believe this is something recent. There is no trust built at this point, they are in fact strangers. The sister's outburst about MC not understanding her position may be a little to emotional, but she has a point. The daughter he got from marrying his wife isn't his child, he wasn't her parent, he didn't properly connected to this girl in a way a parent does.

Supporter
I know that we’re going to have to wait a long time for it but I can’t wait to see why the mom and daughter are teaming up to do all this. They seem to be enjoying it way too much for it just to be about milking money out of an unsuspecting guy and then getting rid of him to repeat the process again.

Users who are viewing this thread