Normality and Monsters - Vol. 1 Ch. 4

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the chapter, and that is certainly the grandmother of 2024. Though I like how she ties into and contrasts with Itou's theme of wanting to be normal while Grammy rejects what is considered "normal" for her by society. I thought it was cool that this chapter further empathizes that Itou is in it for the wormussy and views the school girl "Takahashi" as the wrapping paper with which her gal pal uses to interact with society and display the qualities that she finds admirable and through them falling in love with. It feels like the outfits or gifts she provides Takahashi's suit is like someone giving their significant other or crush trinkets and ornaments to personalize their school bag or phone. The flashback regarding Itou's sentiment regarding horror movies and her type of heroes was also interesting. The appearance of the storm does a great job of creating an atmosphere to frame Itou and Takahashi's next conversation and its cool that Itou is starting to be able to read or spot Takahashi's feigned normalcy tactics. Though I do think the bit at the end was bestworm's attempt to troll Itou a bit and show her she shouldn't get to comfortable during their just gals being pals sessions and to get back at her for "forgetting" to mention it would be a sleepover.
Though this begs a question even in Japan parent teacher conferences are a thing... considering what Takahashi is how has she been handling those meetings? Has she just been finding ways to avoid them or can she fake parents?
Sorry for the wall of text but I still keep hoping even though it is just Ch. 4 that at some point we see other monsters in the series so we can contrast them to Takahashi and see if Itou will also have a romanticized view of them or see that some monsters are true villains or perhaps along with her future room mate try to build a harem out of her "heroine" waifus.

Last edited:
When she said she liked cats, I expected it to turn out she really does like cats, as a meal.

Interested in grandma "hating adults". Considering the theme, it is easy to make a guess why, but I would like to know the story behind that remark.

I really like the reminder that Itou doesn't forget she is a monster, and in fact likes and envies exactly that artifice of being normal.

Which is an interesting little tension so far between her and her grandma, who stridently has abandoned all semblance of normality, which Itou feels a bit embarassed about. That scroll of "be yourself" likely comes from grandma who wants her to encourage to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread