Grand Dwarf - Ch. 28

Dex-chan lover
Rly liked the page where the Axe is restored the fact they even show him in his younger days admiring it is good

Double-page supporter
I like how overprotective the little beast girl is 😂

Dex-chan lover
I want this Grand Dwarf to craft more things please, yes.

Dex-chan lover
See, This chapter right here is what I came for. Moar of this! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for another chapter of scanlat3d goodness! I appreciate your guys hard work!

Can we get a toughness test on that blade?

Dex-chan lover
Luckily it's purely a ceremonial [burial] weapon, and doesn't have to hold up in a fight. Because those welds would break very quickly compared to actual forged and tempered (etc) steel (or even iron).
That sounds solid for getting a proper weld, but welding metal is usually not as strong as regular steel in the first place. Will it really be able to perform as well?
Ok, but what about the edge?
Yeah, he really didn't restore it into it's old functionality of a weapon. A bit of a scammer in that regard.
But considering it was at that point only a symbolic decoration, that's probably fine.

If we are pointing out various other flaws in what he did, there's also stuff like how there's surely cracks or deformities hidden inside the metal, with it having shattered like that. So the welds might not even be the weakest part, particularly when we consider the handle too.

ps: where did he get the other parts of the axe from? To weld multiple parts together you need multiple parts to weld together! But prior panels of that axe only showed one part.

Luckily it's purely a ceremonial [burial] weapon, and doesn't have to hold up in a fight. Because those welds would break very quickly compared to actual forged and tempered (etc) steel (or even iron).

Yeah, he really didn't restore it into it's old functionality of a weapon. A bit of a scammer in that regard.
But considering it was at that point only a symbolic decoration, that's probably fine.

If we are pointing out various other flaws in what he did, there's also stuff like how there's surely cracks or deformities hidden inside the metal, with it having shattered like that. So the welds might not even be the weakest part, particularly when we consider the handle too.

ps: where did he get the other parts of the axe from? To weld multiple parts together you need multiple parts to weld together! But prior panels of that axe only showed one part.
Page 4 there is bits of the axe head sticking into the ground. He's probably welding the edge back onto the the axe head which is probably why the first guy says its so far gone.

Welds can actually be stronger than the rest of the material depending on what rod he used. I'm not a welder myself but I've been around them a lot. Look up any "real" weld test if done correctly the metal will break before the weld does.

This really all depends on the type of metal and how it was welded back together. His technique seems legit and I perosnally like how he uses a welding rod. but yeah in essence I agree probably not as "legendary" as it used to be but could definitely be used as something.

Dex-chan lover
Page 4 there is bits of the axe head sticking into the ground. He's probably welding the edge back onto the the axe head which is probably why the first guy says its so far gone.

Welds can actually be stronger than the rest of the material depending on what rod he used. I'm not a welder myself but I've been around them a lot. Look up any "real" weld test if done correctly the metal will break before the weld does.

This really all depends on the type of metal and how it was welded back together. His technique seems legit and I perosnally like how he uses a welding rod. but yeah in essence I agree probably not as "legendary" as it used to be but could definitely be used as something.
Is this true even for things like weapons, which need to take all kinds of weird stresses including impacts from various angles, etc? Because I could believe it for some specific test (particularly if only done from one angle), but overall it feels like a weld will never have the same resilience as metal that was tempered/annealed (and hammered) specifically for the exact kind of use the metal has to endure.

Dex-chan lover
Is this true even for things like weapons, which need to take all kinds of weird stresses including impacts from various angles, etc? Because I could believe it for some specific test (particularly if only done from one angle), but overall it feels like a weld will never have the same resilience as metal that was tempered/annealed (and hammered) specifically for the exact kind of use the metal has to endure.
It all depends on many factors. The axe as it stands now would likely be slightly stronger then a normal weapon because of fantasy nature of the setting. IRL the welds would be stronger then the base weapon, if the welds were even able to adhere to the corroded scrap metal that remained.

TBH reforging the axe would have been the only option IRL. But this is a fantasy setting so I wouldn't even be surprised if it was restored to its legendary status because the Grand Dwarf "fixed" it.

Dex-chan lover
I honestly was waiting for elder to wield the axe and pull a full muscular master Roshi.

Users who are viewing this thread