Dai Dark - Ch. 47 - Black Tremors

Dex-chan lover
Well, that was full on with the body horror.
I love how you can never tell the stakes in this. Usually that would be a sign of poor writing, but this leans into it so hard that the disorientation pervades everything, in turn disorientating the reader, which perfectly works for the setting. Dorohedoro did the same to great effect.

Aggregator gang
OK, possible MAJOR spoilers from dai dark here:
    1. Damemaru is the Devil from Dorohedoro that was turned into a human! Why? Let's see:
      He is able to adapt perfectly to anything, be it gravity, darkness and environments that are COMPLETELY harmful to normal living beings.
    2. He is able to control minds, even though he only used it once.
    3. He is Immortal, not just able to regenerate, immortal.
    4. The master system of his ship is literally The House from Dorohedoro, seriously, it's The House.
    5. Whatever is happening here is this arc, it seems to be the effects of his devil influence on the world, the people from the planet body's are being used as some sort of portal to transport devils do this planet: Considering that Damemaru was THE Devil, he used to keep all the other devils in check, maybe with him in this human form, they lost their minds, especially since every lesser devil is a magician and every magician is just a spawn that he, The Devil created.
    [*]

Dex-chan lover
Shimada is a bit too committed to the bit.

Hmm, so would the "Dark" be the world of Dorohedoro aeons into the future?
Now that would be an amusing twist.

Dex-chan lover
How the fuck did this turn into horror, considering our protagonists?

OK, possible MAJOR spoilers from dai dark here:
    1. Damemaru is the Devil from Dorohedoro that was turned into a human! Why? Let's see:
      He is able to adapt perfectly to anything, be it gravity, darkness and environments that are COMPLETELY harmful to normal living beings.
    2. He is able to control minds, even though he only used it once.
    3. He is Immortal, not just able to regenerate, immortal.
    4. The master system of his ship is literally The House from Dorohedoro, seriously, it's The House.
    5. Whatever is happening here is this arc, it seems to be the effects of his devil influence on the world, the people from the planet body's are being used as some sort of portal to transport devils do this planet: Considering that Damemaru was THE Devil, he used to keep all the other devils in check, maybe with him in this human form, they lost their minds, especially since every lesser devil is a magician and every magician is just a spawn that he, The Devil created.
    [*]
DRHDR spoilers/ possible Dai Dark spoilers
There's also the fact that his dark hide looks a loooot like Hole-kun, especially the crown of spikes. The number of devil zombies is also about the same as the devils that turned Chidaruma into a baby-- I have to wonder if this is what happened to all artifical devils, or if its specifically the ones that were in house. I'm sure being too bored may have had an element into whatever caused this.
Either way I'm curious to see where all this goes 👀

Double-page supporter
DRHDR spoilers/ possible Dai Dark spoilers
There's also the fact that his dark hide looks a loooot like Hole-kun, especially the crown of spikes. The number of devil zombies is also about the same as the devils that turned Chidaruma into a baby-- I have to wonder if this is what happened to all artifical devils, or if its specifically the ones that were in house. I'm sure being too bored may have had an element into whatever caused this.
Either way I'm curious to see where all this goes 👀
More Doro spoilers but
The coincidences do seem to be adding up. I went back to Good Bye All Stars to check on the exact amount of time that Chidaruma was supposed to live as a human. The different scans disagree and say it was either 5 or 50000 years. Since 50000 seems to make more sense, so it might account for Dame's weird aging. Maybe he processes time in a different way, maybe 1 year for him is in the thousands for everyone else. Maybe it's not a perfect spell, so some years are longer than others. so that's why he is both a kid and a middle aged man.
It's also worth noting that when Chidaruma was exiled the one possession he was allowed to keep was his hoodie, which we then find is inhabited by the spirit of Holey. This seems to vibes with all the living clothing/ packages we see in Dai Dark.
Then there's the matter of his preferred name. Hell Master. Which, when comparing him to the actual former master of hell, seems a little on the nose.
Of course, all these things could be red herrings. Maybe all the similarities are there in service of hiding an even bigger twist. I kind of hope that is the case, because I want this mystery to go some crazy places.

Last edited:
More Doro spoilers but
The coincidences do seem to be adding up. I went back to Good Bye All Stars to check on the exact amount of time that Chidaruma was supposed to live as a human. The different scans disagree and say it was either 5 or 50000 years. Since 50000 seems to make more sense, so it might account for Dame's weird aging. Maybe he processes time in a different way, maybe 1 year for him is in the thousands for everyone else. Maybe it's not a perfect spell, so some years are longer than others. so that's why he is both a kid and a middle aged man.
It's also worth noting that when Chidaruma was exiled the one possession he was allowed to keep was his hoodie, which we then find is inhabited by the spirit of Holey. This seems to vibes with all the living clothing/ packages we see in Dai Dark.
Then there's the matter of his preferred name. Hell Master. Which, when comparing him to the actual former master of hell, seems a little on the nose.
Of course, all these things could be red herrings. Maybe all the similarities are there in service of hiding an even bigger twist. I kind of hope that is the case, because I want this mystery to go some crazy places.
Also more doro spoilers
50000 would make more sense to me, especially since 5 seems waaay to lenient a punishment for what Chidaruma put the devils through, but who knows time magic exists so there may be some funky time dilation as well. I didn't realize the devils left him his hoodie! I do remember the lil holey, which honestly that may have interfered with the magic as well. Its interesting to see how it all lines up so far. Also as far as the name goes, this is the same mangaka that had kaiman/ai coleman/ aikawa and kai inhabit the same body so she does love clever naming, and iirc she also did something with the devils' names though I can't remember exactly what it was.

It seems like Q will eventually circle back to something, so even if its a red herring I think it'll get laid out later on (like kaiman's head being stolen). I've been meaning to do a reread of Dai Dark to see if I can pick up on any bits that are currently relevant.

Also more doro spoilers
50000 would make more sense to me, especially since 5 seems waaay to lenient a punishment for what Chidaruma put the devils through, but who knows time magic exists so there may be some funky time dilation as well. I didn't realize the devils left him his hoodie! I do remember the lil holey, which honestly that may have interfered with the magic as well. Its interesting to see how it all lines up so far. Also as far as the name goes, this is the same mangaka that had kaiman/ai coleman/ aikawa and kai inhabit the same body so she does love clever naming, and iirc she also did something with the devils' names though I can't remember exactly what it was.

It seems like Q will eventually circle back to something, so even if its a red herring I think it'll get laid out later on (like kaiman's head being stolen). I've been meaning to do a reread of Dai Dark to see if I can pick up on any bits that are currently relevant.
otoh being permanently turned back into a mortal was the worst imaginable punishment for a devil, so 5 years of that is probably still pretty bad. And the devils might get bored if Chidaruma was gone too long. i can see it going either way

i'd kind of prefer that Dai Dark work as a standalone story, so if they're connected i hope it's more like a fun bonus for people who read Dorohedoro and not a huge part of the plot

Users who are viewing this thread