J-Novel Club

Dex-chan lover
Official publishers who use coin systems are parasites.

If you're confused as to why I believe this, please see the post I made later on in the thread (with the rant spoiler explaining why I hate coin-currencies and JNC's system.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
My dude JNC’s coin system is one of the more lenient systems out there

You can actually choose specifically how many to purchase, for one
Hilarious that both of you track me down on here instantly to defend these guys. That just makes me think you're staff on there or are getting paid. I looked at their prices and it looks pretty shit to me, "lenient" does not mean good by any stretch, especially when their quality seems pretty subpar for something that costs so much. Go shill to someone who cares.

As someone in the USA who regularly buys manga and light novels:
J-novel is nearly always cheaper than the competition; both before and after being forced into the coin system by their sale to whomever owns them now.

Additionally, their quality is not nearly as bad as many of the competitors. Largely because they update their content regularly when errors are found; and because they prerelease their content to subscribers to vet before production release. Something I don’t know any other publisher to do.

Finally, for subscribers, their content is DRM free. Something, again, nearly no other publisher does.

Your arguments are uninformed and knee-jerk response to injustices that don’t exist.

Group Leader
I generally agree with this. But the way Jnc does it isnt parasitic though.

I am a Jnc prepub subscriber. And I can tell you, not once have I been forced to interact with the system. I pay a few bucks a month and get to read translated chapters on a regular basis.

The current coin system needs a bit of tweaking though. Like there is legit no reason to ever buy more coins then you would need for the immediate purchase. But I am glad they let people buy exact amount of coins they would need. But it begs the questions, why not just let me purchase it directly?

What they should do is give prepub subscribers a bit of coins each month so that way people can justify purchasing the rest of the coins they would need to buy a volume.
But yeah... JNC is FAR from the worst when it comes to practises. My only major complaint is they need to be more consistent with the less popular series. Some series they pick up only to go on a permanent hiatus. I guess it's just them allocation translation resources to do what is popular. But oh man, everytime I see them pick up a niche series, I always ask myself, hiatus when? And obviously I am talking about series that are complete in JP.

In the end, JNC is actually one of the better publisher. They are consumer friendly, don't believe in DRM, don't use dark patterns in their apps, and don't censor their manga like other garbage publishers.(as far as I know).

Dex-chan lover
As someone in the USA who regularly buys manga and light novels:
J-novel is nearly always cheaper than the competition; both before and after being forced into the coin system by their sale to whomever owns them now.

Additionally, their quality is not nearly as bad as many of the competitors. Largely because they update their content regularly when errors are found; and because they prerelease their content to subscribers to vet before production release. Something I don’t know any other publisher to do.

Finally, for subscribers, their content is DRM free. Something, again, nearly no other publisher does.

Your arguments are uninformed and knee-jerk response to injustices that don’t exist.
IF they are DRM free does that not mean that at least fan translations or scantalators arnt going to be snubbed for doing these series still? i know MD has some rules in place to prevent people from uploading on a manga that has an official english translation, but would the DRM free bypass that?

Group Leader
IF they are DRM free does that not mean that at least fan translations or scantalators arnt going to be snubbed for doing these series still? i know MD has some rules in place to prevent people from uploading on a manga that has an official english translation, but would the DRM free bypass that?
No. Not sure why you would even think that.

What because they are consumer friendly and offer DRM free books, your first instinct is to think that give people a license to pirate it?

Posting licensed content is a violation. DRM doesnt change anything. First of all epub DRM is a joke and anyone can bypass it. A publisher realizing that and respecting you by giving you the option to read it on any device/app doesnt mean you can share it...

Dex-chan lover
I generally agree with this. But the way Jnc does it isnt parasitic though.

I am a Jnc prepub subscriber. And I can tell you, not once have I been forced to interact with the system. I pay a few bucks a month and get to read translated chapters on a regular basis.

The current coin system needs a bit of tweaking though. Like there is legit no reason to ever buy more coins then you would need for the immediate purchase. But I am glad they let people buy exact amount of coins they would need. But it begs the questions, why not just let me purchase it directly?

What they should do is give prepub subscribers a bit of coins each month so that way people can justify purchasing the rest of the coins they would need to buy a volume.
But yeah... JNC is FAR from the worst when it comes to practises. My only major complaint is they need to be more consistent with the less popular series. Some series they pick up only to go on a permanent hiatus. I guess it's just them allocation translation resources to do what is popular. But oh man, everytime I see them pick up a niche series, I always ask myself, hiatus when? And obviously I am talking about series that are complete in JP.

In the end, JNC is actually one of the better publisher. They are consumer friendly, don't believe in DRM, don't use dark patterns in their apps, and don't censor their manga like other garbage publishers.(as far as I know).
While these guys might not be as bad as some other places, I can understand why people are pissed. The US manga publishing scene is a massive scam. They license the work, translate it (often badly), clean it up, and then sell it for up to 300% of the price of a manga in Japan. A single volume here can go from $8 to $15, where as in Japan, the country that did all the work of making the manga in the first place, manga goes for around $5 or less for a full volume. People have a right to be pissed when the entire market here in the States is filled with price gouging bullshit.

Dex-chan lover
Hilarious that both of you track me down on here instantly to defend these guys. That just makes me think you're staff on there or are getting paid. I looked at their prices and it looks pretty shit to me, "lenient" does not mean good by any stretch, especially when their quality seems pretty subpar for something that costs so much. Go shill to someone who cares.
Just go to their profile and block them. I have this loser blocked and the only reason I even see their stuff from time to time is when someone replies to them.

Dex-chan lover
from the site rules
Any scanlated release is allowed to be uploaded regardless of the existence of official translations, except under the following restrictions:
the only case of what you mentioned is when they get a complaint from those that purchased the rights for the mangas

Group Leader
While these guys might not be as bad as some other places, I can understand why people are pissed. The US manga publishing scene is a massive scam. They license the work, translate it (often badly), clean it up, and then sell it for up to 300% of the price of a manga in Japan. A single volume here can go from $8 to $15, where as in Japan, the country that did all the work of making the manga in the first place, manga goes for around $5 or less for a full volume. People have a right to be pissed when the entire market here in the States is filled with price gouging bullshit.
I mean, everything you say is agreeable, but we won't get into a better spot unless we point out the good and the bad for each publisher. Other publisher do much worse, and I've pointed out what JNC does bad, my intention is to give them a fair shake.
the only case of what you mentioned is when they get a complaint from those that purchased the rights for the mangas
More specifically, anyone can do their OWN translation of any series, regardless if it has an official license or not. But one cannot post the actual official chapter directly here.

Edit: The exception to that is, if the license is expired. If the license is done, then the official translations can be posted. Just see Ex-Viz etc

Double-page supporter
Is there an option somewhere to block all official publishers? There's no point in me seeing updates for things I will never read, and my block list is full from blocking BL translation groups because for some reason I can't just exclude the gay tag.

Dex-chan lover
So, do all title that is published under JNC going to stop with "regular scanlation" now that JNC is flexing their Official Publisher status?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sudden spam old old stuff in latest-updates had me hyped for stuff being picked up again... only to find out it's only chapter 1 :meguuusad:

Though I must admit, the way this group is uploading, really feels like they might be breaking rule 1.8?
1.8 Permanently withholding some of your scanlations to a series for the purpose of attracting users to your site is not allowed.
Though I might be wrong, maybe they end up posting chapters past ch1 too.
...Though even if they do, it feels like they might still be breaking that rule, since as far as I can tell it only links to their own site, permanently withholding even the posted chapters? For the purpose of attracting/linking ppl to their site?

I doubt it's as bad as you make it sound, since if it was then this group wouldn't have been able to post any links without breaking rule 1.5 "Chapters from groups linking to websites which adopt excessive profiteering techniques are not allowed."

Is there an option somewhere to block all official publishers? There's no point in me seeing updates for things I will never read, and my block list is full from blocking BL translation groups because for some reason I can't just exclude the gay tag.
I mean, yes? Javascript (and no, this isn't just a "git gud" answer - if a buggy thing I made for myself is acceptable you could dm me and I could send you a userscript that does that as one of its minor features. It is not really something I feel is usable by users tho, and sorta relies on me knowing all the quirks and how to fix any issues whenever they appear :p So I would rec making your own thing dedicated to that. If you decide to and need some light aid in doing so feel free to dm anyway, cba to handhold too much tho and would mostly just point you at useful css-selectors to use in the latest-updates feed (which I use(d) myself), and maybe some snippets for that).

I found the built-in blocking system really broken back when I tried about a year ago or so (when they finally opened the site again; found in https://mangadex.org/settings -> blocks), with groups unblocking themselves constantly. But if that has been fixed since then (likely), then that should work too.

Dex-chan lover
Is the block list even persistent now?

Users who are viewing this thread