2 years for moderation [Resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
The oldest chapter in the approval queue is from yesterday.

I see a prior upload from you for Koufuku Graffiti which appeared to be mislabelled as no group, and was declined.

Contributor
Wow, someone just made this account today to flame the mods, have you bothered reading the description?
"This group was used in the past to represent the absence (or lack of knowledge) of a scan group responsible for a chapter.

This group should not be used anymore and we're keeping it here as a reminder."
This was meant to avoid missuse and nowadays everyone has to create a group. So I suggest starting from there (it's pretty easy) and then you can upload chapters under that group name.

bruh if "super moderator" just confirmed to you that there was the prior upload in question from two years ago, maybe you should believe the "super moderator"?

https://mangadex.org/title/upload/88569c5f-0164-47c6-aa02-3737b592e532

see this here button "Not affiliated with any group"? have you bothered reading what is written on the button? You press it and that is all, there's no description there's no other choice. There are no words you are quoting. The button says nothing about any groups, it doesn't explain what group is even supposed to mean. Another button that leads to the guidelines with pictures does not mention your groups either.

Contributor
I cannot answer to the "super moderator" thingy, what I quoted can be read from the info just here (I think it's plainly easy to find). If I click there (in the link you showed me), I can see the groups I can upload because I'm part of them and I can still look for other groups, though I'd only be able to upload on those that are open for anyone to upload. So even if it is made up group, name it whatever and after you upload a chapter (use the guiding tool to find it) you can calim it. What you were told was that there is one in queue from yesterday (probably the one you used with that button) and there is a rejected one where you put "no group" as a group. If you somehow selected "no group" in any part of the process, then that's the reason to be declined.

Last edited:
BraveDude8
Staff
Super Moderator

I see a prior upload from you for Koufuku Graffiti which appeared to be mislabelled as no group, and was declined.

no it is not. the site is IoS GUI hell, and no one would go looking for your group. a translator presses [register] button then [upload] in that pipeline there's nothing about creating a group or why would anyone need it.

and well as i said there's no feedback on what and why was declined, nor can i look into my queue. it's like screaming in the void. this is the first time i even got confirmation that two years ago it even got into the queue. i though it could as well just be blocked by our fascist government like the rest of the site. and without a stated reason the only way forward is just to repeat the same action with no changes, because there's no other choice. 2 years ago i tried to contact mods, most didn't even reply, one did but then ghosted me before i could even ask a question

and if you assume that i could wrote something bad, here's the text:

7 November 2022
09:04 is there supposed to be some kind of notification? a email or something? pending status somewhere in the gui? it just disappeared and there is no indication of what is happening. are there rejection letters or something?

that's after 10 days of waiting after uploading

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 15-49-44 (PNG Image 1695 × 2475 pixels) – Scaled (37%).png

The final page of this release mentions multiple names that aren't yours and links to a website that doesn't mention this chapter/manga at all. Do you run that site? On the face of it, this looks like one of the many daily uploads we get where people dump random chapters taken from aggregator sites that don't credit sources properly, and anything that refers to a group name (milkandhate) while being uploaded as nogroup is likely to get declined by a moderator.

Randomly DMing staff will get lost in the chaff of constant DMs, posting in the literal support forum is going to actually get answers. Waiting for a year and a half so no-one involved has any recollection of why they made any decisions at the time doesn't help either.

a typical thanks and acknowledgements page. it's original content you cannot find it anywhere else

the chapter is on my HDD. it was with no copyrighted content published on imgur where you could see it being done in real time https://imgur.com/user/agof but it now disappeared and i can't even log in

imgur.com/a/wwork-progress-uSzCkGv

that's not a site of "group" or "me", it's mentioned only as contact form, so as not to give out my work irl email. which also actually worked i was contacted by rosekeyword.
and the image in question literally has translation notes

pestering people every second is impolite. the last instruction your site gave me was to wait. and that's why i didn't translate anything for 2 years. i started another one now and tested it again with the pre-chapter pages and again it just disappeared into nowhere and i waited 24 hours mentioned by the pop-up, before asking bing where's mangadex support, which is not mentioned anywhere on the site. no support link, no contact form

bad GUI is bad GUI is bad GUI. i never received any mention or status update

just a quick example: upper right corner search bar, input anything into it and press [enter] your input is erased and nothing happens.
oof. your (media)(/media) BB tag is also broken

i'm only doing the translation, i dunno about anything that is not related to the translation

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
before asking bing where's mangadex support, which is not mentioned anywhere on the site. no support link, no contact form
There's a contact form on this exact page.
https://forums.mangadex.org/misc/contact

We also have a Discord and a subreddit which are both linked in the sidebar of the website, and a support email address. Using any of these instead of contacting random members of staff would have helped.

I've approved the new chapter that you uploaded <24hr ago.

just a quick example: upper right corner search bar, input anything into it and press [enter] your input is erased and nothing happens.
It redirects you to https://mangadex.org/search?[typedstring], if that's not happening for you then there's an issue with your browser.

your (media)(/media) BB tag is also broken
The correct format is;
Code:
[MEDIA=type]ID[/MEDIA]
and it isn't broken.

that's because you already know it is there

https://mangadex.org/ [ctrl]+[f] "contact" returns nothing

as i said i am not interested in teamspeaks or fanclubs, i only do translations

if i would've used square brackets, it would've been parsed, instead of being seen as text. and no your example does not work either, and i tried to link to imgur, the tag just removes the link and cuts out all the words, you can try it

imgur.com/a/wwork-progress-uSzCkGv

well anyway since i can now translate and upload i'd rather go do that instead

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
that's because you already know it is there

https://mangadex.org/ [ctrl]+[f] "contact" returns nothing
1720283826581.png
It's hardly hidden.

no your example does not work either
Yes, it does.

1720283886265.png

1dag4M0.png

Works for me?

Dex-chan lover
I cannot answer to the "super moderator" thingy, what I quoted can be read from the info just here (I think it's plainly easy to find). If I click there (in the link you showed me), I can see the groups I can upload because I'm part of them and I can still look for other groups, though I'd only be able to upload on those that are open for anyone to upload. So even if it is made up group, name it whatever and after you upload a chapter (use the guiding tool to find it) you can calim it. What you were told was that there is one in queue from yesterday (probably the one you used with that button) and there is a rejected one where you put "no group" as a group. If you somehow selected "no group" in any part of the process, then that's the reason to be declined.
There are several advantages of posting as no group, especially when it comes to avoiding attention from the industry and avoiding getting into legal issues. Aggregators that scrape chapters will show you as no name and places like mangaupdates won't list your chapters. The only real disadvantage is that since you're not a group leader, you can't edit titles, which is a pain when editing wars starts and you can't do anything about it. But in my honest opinion not enough to warrant posting as a group.

Contributor
There are several advantages of posting as no group, especially when it comes to avoiding attention from the industry and avoiding getting into legal issues. Aggregators that scrape chapters will show you as no name and places like mangaupdates won't list your chapters. The only real disadvantage is that since you're not a group leader, you can't edit titles, which is a pain when editing wars starts and you can't do anything about it. But in my honest opinion not enough to warrant posting as a group.
If you want efficiency, having a group speeds up things, that's why I suggested that. I am not discouraging the other options, I simply was implying that before you had to post under a group name and that's why "no group" was created. Now there's a different button, but the thing is since you can upload under more than one group you can lead moderators to confusion if you do that, either voluntary or not.

Contributor
Also if multiple NoGroup translate a title, the reader app won't differentiate between the two and pick a random one when clicking "next chapter". If there is a group, reader app uses the same one.

And NoGroup usually means trash mtl quality, so i don't click them.

Dex-chan lover
Also if multiple NoGroup translate a title, the reader app won't differentiate between the two and pick a random one when clicking "next chapter". If there is a group, reader app uses the same one.

And NoGroup usually means trash mtl quality, so i don't click them.
I use the no group to upload, though I'm making MTL scanlations so you've probably got a point there. Though so far no one has really complained about my translations, but I put a bit more effort into them than the general MTL translator.
If you want efficiency, having a group speeds up things, that's why I suggested that. I am not discouraging the other options, I simply was implying that before you had to post under a group name and that's why "no group" was created. Now there's a different button, but the thing is since you can upload under more than one group you can lead moderators to confusion if you do that, either voluntary or not.
If your first upload is as no group, I've experienced that the mods are much harsher in accepting the upload. Even though I've made completely fine scanlations without any obvious errors, I've gotten rejections. It's gotten accepted in the end, but it's kind of discriminating against us that don't want to get attention of the industry and get into legal problems. Since I'm not after clout or donations, uploading as a group is just more risk than it's worth.

Contributor
Honestly, if you're worried about legal issues it makes no difference using no group or whatever (there's also the anons), they can track your IP regardless and in the end you're still uploading under the same user, so you're as easy to find for the average user. The ones under no group that do a great job of series I read they simply don't want to take any credit or engage in debate with the community, it's more about humility. If they wanted to do anything against you they would do it anyway, the only safety measure is not doing them. Of course, those who accept donations and such are more easily trackable, but in the end you're taking the same risks. And I know people who got the support of the original author instead and did a collab thanks to having a Discord and such. In summary, as long as you use the net you can be found.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Honestly, if you're worried about legal issues it makes no difference using no group or whatever (there's also the anons), they can track your IP regardless and in the end you're still uploading under the same user, so you're as easy to find for the average user. The ones under no group that do a great job of series I read they simply don't want to take any credit or engage in debate with the community, it's more about humility. If they wanted to do anything against you they would do it anyway, the only safety mesure is not doing them. Of course, those who accept donations and such are more easily trackable, but in the end you're taking the same risks. And I know people who got the support of the original author instead and did a collab thanks to having a Discord and such. In summary, as long as you use the net you can be found.
Yeah, I'm /a/ based so I could post as anonymous, but in general those are kind of reserved for the live translations on /a/, and I haven't done that. Also they get posted on places like mangaupdates then, which I prefer not to.

It's more about keeping a low profile. I also keep my scanlations fairly simple with basic redrawing and typesetting, and focus mostly on the translation. You can be found, but as long as you keep the attention on you low, and drop stuff if it gets licensed, the chances of getting into trouble is mostly low. The only ones that usually get into trouble afaik are the ones with donations/patreons/paywalls and similar, releasing early leaks before the official releases, and working on licensed manga.

And of course humility is important, my goal is getting the artist's work out to others, not really mine. I think the attention should be on the artist and not the scanlator. And I always provide a link to support the artist and buy the raws, besides buying them myself, and try to promote the artist as well as I can. Even if I do something illegal, if they gain popularity and hype from it that's worth more than whatever sales they'd lose (which they wouldn't, since you can't buy it), I think it's not really immoral. Though of course that's something that can be discussed forever I guess.

Group Leader
I'm sure many people use mangaupdates to see if a manga has been scanlated. When translated chapters aren't listed there, it becomes a problem. So I vote for 'No Group' to be abolished.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm sure many people use mangaupdates to see if a manga has been scanlated. When translated chapters aren't listed there, it becomes a problem. So I vote for 'No Group' to be abolished.
But one of the main reasons to upload as no group is to not have it on mangaupdates and similar. Lots of people would probably stop scanlating if they can't upload as no group, including me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread