5 Centimeters per Second

BCS

Dex-chan lover
I assume this is a manga adaptation of the movie, and therefore just as silly and nonsensical?

It is a manga adaptation of the movie, however the characters' feelings are put into words, rather than relying on music and images like the movie does. The last chapter is not present in the movie, too.

Manga is complementary to the movie. Characters are more fleshed out (apart from Akari, whose presence remains more or less nonexistent), and "Poem of sky and sea", that focuses on Kanae and now serves as coda, is completely new content. Personally i loved all versions (including light novel, which is really crappy written, or it just translates that way), but if someone didn't like the motion picture, manga won't sway their opinion.

Double-page supporter
Uh oh I see that tragedy tag and @ShinitaiKoroshitekure 's comment makes me mark this as gonna have to pass

Edit: Against my better judgment I watched the movie and read the extra manga stuff and I gotta say I like it even less now. Def agree with Shinitai on this, this story was awful

Group Leader
Bittersweet love my ass, this story is just plain dreadful. At least the manga is better and more fleshed out than the light novel and the anime, AND I can actually go through Takaki’s monologue without constantly bashing my head against the walls. Still an enjoyable read though.

I did not see the movie or read the novel. I was enjoying this very much but did not check the chapter count and the ending caught me off guard. Like that’s it? It just flipping ends? It feels so incomplete and my heart has serious blue balls right now. I’m still figuring out if I should be mad about this or if it’s genius writing.

Just saw the movie, and read the manga, they're complementary as was said before : new scenes, different point of views and narration, even Risa who wasn't in the movie at all.
Anyway, the story is great, or rather WOULD have been great if not for a single constant thing : "WILL YOU JUST FOLLOW THROUGH WITH YOUR FEELINGS DAMNIT?!?!"
Like, it's so frustrating to see Takaki constantly stuck in his feelings, he just looked so weak willed. Takaki likes Akari but not to the point of seeing her in the countryside but still thinks about her but wants to move on but the memory impedes his normal life but doesn't want closure through messages but- holy shit dude make up your mind :rolleyes:
At least, the bonus chapter (compared to the movie) was a more interesting ending, with the surfer guy representing a free form of love ("I think this kind of nonchalance is necessary at times", "You're the one binding yourself") that was so desperately missing from the movie. Guess the manga author also noticed that when he decided to add that chapter, props to him.
Everything else about the manga, or the movie, is really good though, I'd still recommend for people who like slower paced stories if they're willing to look beyond the characters' inner dilemmas into the core theme : the passage of time.

Dex-chan lover
He got cucked at the end, what a terrible manga
Cucked…? Ehh not really, they are forced apart by circumstance and the reason he mopes around for so long is because he feels tremendous guilt for not being able to be there for akari despite being the one she loves. in the ending, at least in the movie, him seeing her ”moved on” gives him the right to move on too. This is also why he says something to the affect of “if your turn around too I’ll not give up.”

and honestly even when akari goes to meet this husband of hers she still loves takaki, thinking of him even on the way.

this story is honestly so sad and depressing, I hate the way these stories make me feel but for some reason I can’t get enough (bitter sweet, or just regret I suppose.)

personally if I was this guy I’d have also fallen into ridiculous depression too, there’s nothing you could can do practically. I’d like to say I’d fight harder but reality would crush 99 percent of people into submission here, and I’m not that strong of a person to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread