I bet Nie Li will just say alright since you don't want to trade I won't trade. So, those guy are stuck with a lot of worthless stone. 🤣

I think the last page either repeated or got switched for the real one.

@givemersspls There's a thing called bargaining position, if those villagers have any sense in trading they wouldn't want to upset the current situation. The stones are widely available, and easily accessible. Nie Li is basically overpay for their labor in picking those stones off the ground, something that he can easily done himself. The villagers doesn't have any leverage in this deal whatsoever. Nie Li is doing the trade mainly to establish good relations with the villagers, the stone is just a means to an end and not the primary goal (because he can get it whenever he wants and as much as he wants).

Dex-chan lover
@givemersspls
There were always going to be people who wanted more. If it wasn't the exchange rate, it'd be straight up extortion or some other damn thing.

And he is trading out of the goodness of his heart. Mostly. The stones are valuable, but he already has more than he needs. He's handing out rice because rice itself isn't that precious to him, and because he's grateful to some of the people on the plateau for what they did in his first life. He was also generous in the Abyss Prison Realm marketplace. It's not out of character.

Dex-chan lover
@givemersspls
It'd be cynical if a guy hadn't been trying to extort him just a few minutes before.

And yes, they can attempt to bargain, but it's a monopsony, so good luck.

@givemersspls It's literally just a few greedy people (as there always will be). There are others that are willing to trade even 10 times the amount of stones for a sack of rice. Their environment in the plateau is so desperate when it comes to food that people are starving daily. And food itself takes ages to produce or dangerous to acquire from demon beasts.

Imagine you're a villager there worried about how to feed your family and a stranger comes offering food in exchange for these abundantly useless stones just scattered everywhere. Gathering the stones is basically risk free and you get guaranteed food in return. Who in their right mind in that situation would ask for a better deal besides the greedy people that are already well off in the tribe and want more for their stockpile of stones. The guy looking after his family would be going out to look for more stones rather than risk ruining the opportunity that is upon them.

Nie Li can walk away from the deal any time he wants. The villagers can't.

@givemersspls I do not think you actually grasp what greedy is here. We also don't know what the value of the stones . Further, it was already established that he knew these people in the other life, so it is VERY unlikely that he would just be cheating them or something. I also don't think you know how much food a full bag of rice actually is. That can feed you for a while. So asking for more of that, for something that you can literally pick up off the ground, is greedy. Also no, he isn't doing anything more important than picking up the stones, we have seen how cultivation works, so he probably is not doing that. He is repaying past debts while also gaining something small in return. They have no room to negotiate. He could have never even mentioned anything and simply collected the stones himself, probably faster than they are for that matter. Had he offered them a cup of rice that would still be more than they would get otherwise, so yes, looking a gift horse in the mouth is the DEFINITION of greedy. They are trading something worth less than dirt to them, for something worth life itself in return. THAT IS HOW TRADE WORKS. You value what the other person has, more than they do.

Double-page supporter
Jeeze that guy with bird/lizard hole the head ears

Group Leader
fb553da8615eca03b01d87aab8454153.jpg

Listen, I know that going into these next few arcs and the series as a whole that there are going to be other races introduced (though some will just be Demon Beasts in human form). But like this guy... He has Dragon Ball Z ears and literally a patch sewn into his head, like it's fucking cloth that ripped.

Nie Li trade with such unbalanced amount due to his courtesy of the tribe as he was grateful for his past life experiences and his knowledge of the poor tribe. Their survival instinct triggered their greed to obtain more rice sacks. I think things will be explained after at the next chapter.
the real greed will show themselves later

Group Leader
@dolipret He isn't doing it to establish good relations, he's doing it because, while temporary, he is appreciative of the fact that the villagers harbored him and the rest of the refugees from Glory City.

In addition, @givemersspls is correct in stating that, by definition, the villagers have leverage, because if no villagers decide to trade with him, he has no or very few stones. @Eridian and @ShiningMeow are wrong in their belief that he could gather them quicker himself potentially and that the stones are scattered everywhere respectively, and to provide more evidence from the novel, it's mentioned these stones aren't just littered around everywhere, and that you'd only find one every couple of days or so. The villagers have a high supply they've collected throughout years, they know where locations where the stones are that Nie Li might not, and most importantly there's a fuck ton of them, so they can easily find some for him. To Nie Li, as someone who GREATLY values his time and efficacious methods, this is a great boon. As stated, he's only staying for three days; going around and looking stones would greatly hinder both his cultivation and his endeavor to defeat the Sage Emperor.

HOWEVER, while this is partially the case, he is mistaken in the belief that this is a quid pro quo trade. As previously highlighted, our MC is doing this mostly out of the goodness of his heart because of a few good people like Yun Ling that helped him out in his previous life.

Edit: I'd like to correct what I stated about Purple Smoke Rocks' rarity. It is still definitely an exaggeration to say they lie on the ground everywhere, but they're not so rare someone can only find one every one or two days. They're rare enough to be described as "[despite efforts], many people only gathered one or two of them. Even though there are many Purple Smoke Rocks, they aren't everywhere".

XL

Dex-chan lover
Oh you don't want to trade? You want more? Ok enjoy starvation lulz. Next!

the reason why nie li doing this trade because the rock is benefical for his cultivation, and he is generous enough to give the this exchange with rice since there are people who assist glory city survivor in his past life, but he'll eventually stop this whole exchange since there are greedy people who chase them out from this plateau in his past life, i guess these people are the one who feel being cheated, there's not much happening here since nie li will proceed to next destination and then facing a bunch of greediest bastard that he steamrolled anyway. this whole plateau is not much important compared to what came after this, so sit tight.

Dex-chan lover
That one dude, despite not looking so old, is already demented. Not long after Nie Li even gave him a map to Glory City, he suddenly comes and asks again how far the city is. Poor fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread