Thank you for this, I have tried googling for the essay/book that the translator referenced. I couldn't find much on it, is there a translated version that can be purchased? I wanted to support the author and actually read it for myself. Also thanks to the translator! the little extra details and references are icing on the cake. 🤩

Group Leader
@Dalgi-soju Thank you for reading! Glad you like the details and references :) Sadly, no translated version of the book. You can buy the Japanese version, though! Even if you cannot read it, it'll be a wonderful thing for Nanasaki-san.

But if you do want an English release, you email some licensing companies that do this type of work! One that comes to mind is J-Novel, but they seem to focus on light novels. Perhaps there is another company that undertakes more 'serious' novels. The more people that do this will show a demand, and since it's pride month, maybe they'll consider it more so. I am still looking and pushing for this myself, as its a great story and insight in the LGBTQ community in Japan, but worst comes to worst I might consider translating it myself for next year's pride month.

Dex-chan lover
I assume that’s “okama”, which is a horrible word I wish I could have avoided typing
Hard to translate queer slang (positive or negative) from Japan.

It’s like tr***y and fa***t at the same time. The term describes a categorisation that just isn’t in the western consciousness.“Onee”, which is the non-slur form.
From what a can tell, it’s something of a spectrum from effeminate male to openly transgender woman. Women’s fashion, effeminate speech often using female pronouns (Japanese first person pronouns are gendered) are all common traits. I won’t claim to fully understand it, but the terms have the same definition, but the former is an insult.

What’s more, when used as an insult, all trans women and all gay men get called that, because of course...

The etymology is an example of the interplay of language and culture.
There are multiple theories as to how the “longer f word” came to be used as it does, but it’s different from the Japanese, which is “(stove)pot”. A container. Something you put stuff in. A cum bucket.

I once wanted to get a degree in linguistics.

There’s more going on, but I don’t feel like getting more personal. I’d rather just be “another weeaboo on mangadex”, here.

Users who are viewing this thread