A Girl Who Can't Speak Thinks "She Is Too Kind." - Vol. 1 Ch. 8 - Friends

Group Leader
@Oeconomist @Picks

The snipe translation is a bad joke. Please don't compare our release with theirs.

There is a hard ceiling on how much artistic freedom you should allow yourself as a translator and they've blasted through that ceiling with a Saturn V rocket.

I didn't care enough to talk about until now since it'd come across as paternalistic, but here we are.

Dex-chan lover
@Suffaru

This isn't a contest in which the winner takes all, nor otherwise in which it is incumbent upon the rest of us to ignore the points at which the rival group did a better job if overall it is much inferior to that which yours did.

ATTN: @Picks

Group Leader
This isn't a contest in which the winner takes all

Except that it is, to an extent. Multiple groups working separately on the same thing is a waste of time and leads to a drop in quality due to releases being rushed. Unrelated series of said groups suffer in the process because staff focuses on that one manga. Everybody loses.

That being said, we have never rejected collaboration offers to date, and we don't really intend on starting now.
I salute those that did ask us whether we dropped this or not beforehand. A DM is all it takes.

Dex-chan lover
@Suffaru

As to your claim:
Multiple groups working separately on the same thing is a waste of time and leads to a drop in quality due to releases being rushed. Unrelated series of said groups suffer in the process because staff focuses on that one manga. Everybody loses.
That would be a matter of poor choices on the part of your group. You can sacrifice quality to be first, drop some manga to be first in others, or drop those manga in which you feel it is too hard to be first. Or you can just stick to your guns. There are plenty of readers who will wait for the better scanlation; that's happening on multiple series.

But this argument has never been over whether someone should compete or collaborate. My comment to which you objected was exactly this:
Oeconomist:
There are minor points at which the rival scanlation is better, but major points at which this scanlation is better.
Now, you've done nothing but disparage the quality of the other scanlation (which actually suffers from a limited competence in the English language, rather than from deliberate license), so I figure that they are unlikely to seek collaboration with you. But, in any case, you can actually get some of the benefits of collaboration by simply looking at their scanlation to discover those instances in which they came closer to the mark. As I said at the outset, those instances are minor, but they are there.

I don't and cannot translate from Chinese or Japanese to English. But I have translated scientific work from German and from Italian, and can point to instances in which I learned from translations that, at other passages, had done things that I regarded as quite unacceptable.

Group Leader
@Oeconomist
But this argument has never been over whether someone should compete or collaborate.

My original comment is with regard to the translation, more specifically the fact that stitching together/comparing the two versions in order to get one 'true' translation is wack given that a decent chunk of theirs is literally made up. You just happened to be one of the recent commenters -- I didn't specifically target what you said, but rather the group of readers asking about the accuracy here.
I can see how it'd come across that way, though. Sorry if it did.

That would be a matter of poor choices on the part of your group. You can sacrifice quality to be first, drop some manga to be first in others, or drop those manga in which you feel it is too hard to be first.

Swallowing pride isn't common in this community, and I'd say that this quote is one of the most unpopular statements one could make, but you're right.
We've dropped stuff on occasion, sure, when the other version was of comparable quality. We would've likely dropped this one as well, had it been the case. If we had to sacrifice quality at every corner just to be first, however, we wouldn't be doing scanlation to begin with.

Now, you've done nothing but disparage the quality of the other scanlation (which actually suffers from a limited competence in the English language, rather than from deliberate license)

Sure. I gave my take on the quality of their translation after a couple dozen people asking which version is the accurate one. While I don't think the guy did it out of malice either, being bad at something isn't an exemption from criticism.
We're no different - our renditions have been critiqued by the ones doing it before us as well, and it was entirely within their right. We adjusted what we could, but we didn't snipe them to begin with. Big difference.

As for his/her competencies, I'd say it mostly has to do with lack of proficiency in the source language (which could only be Japanese, Portuguese or Spanish), as well as a lack of proofreading. We've had novice translators whose English left a lot to be desired, but that often ended up being the least of their problems.

On the whole, I don't think there's much that we disagree on here, and if there is, it's likely due to miscommunication, perhaps on my part. Thanks for reading our stuff.

@Picks Thank you for the support as well.

Dex-chan lover
Aaawwww.....when a character in manga found a better and true friend than you in real life.T-T....where can I get telephatic chan in real world...her words are soooo spot on.

Dex-chan lover
ahh.... my tears is leaking.
@Sleepingpair did you think someone that can read mind want to befriend you? you'll need illogically honest mind to achieve that.

Users who are viewing this thread