A Lazy Guy Woke Up as a Girl One Morning - Vol. 1 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
lmao at people thinking trap is a slur.

We in the manga have been using the word 'trap' for more than 20 years, fuck outta here with that shit.

P.S. I like how the author mimicks classic shoujo art for every girl besides the MC. The sparkly big-eyed exaggerated blushed face really gives a satisfying contrast.

Supporter
@Nari & @knight_evangel : I know this an old post to reply to, but nowadays you know that some people actively seek things to be offended by, regardless of context or historical significance. The result is everyone walking on eggshells around them and no one is having any fun they can speak of.

Supporter
@AnacondaHL: Your second line is purely subjective; in this case however, it's a matter of a particular opinion seeking to appropriate a term and claim that it no longer means what it has meant for decades. I am offended by this term now, so no one is allowed to use it as a reference. If your reasoning is that the term itself has always been universally treated as a slur, I disagree with that.

Supporter
@AnacondaHL: Your response is like you didn't read what I had responded to. The terms "trap" and "trans" are not interchangeable and do not have the same meaning by definition. Just because some people are offended that the words are sometimes used to mean the same thing by those whom are unaware or don't care about the difference, does not mean that "trap" is now universally offensive. Do you understand.

Dex-chan lover
@DevLogger

The terms "trap" and "trans" are not interchangeable and do not have the same meaning by definition.

well duh, this is how every slur works.

Just because some people are offended that the words are sometimes used to mean the same thing by those whom are unaware or don't care about the difference, does not mean that "trap" is now universally offensive.

Correct again, and again that's not the point. Trap, and the combined implication of the actual damage it has caused combined with it's incorrect generalization as an equivalent to Trans has led us to this point. It's not just people being offended, it's goes all the way to trauma and physical violence.

Do you understand.

Yes, I do, and I appreciate you using only one fallacious argument in a post rather than trying to spray a load of them at once in an attempt to win a debate, that's just too tiresome to respond back to.

Supporter
@AnacondaHL: Ah, then the term is problematic because of what it might cause people to. I'm not going to repeat what @Karsh said, but they illustrated this concept in a colorful way just fine. While I don't agree with you, what is the proposed solution, ban the term "trap"? Take a deep breath before you respond.

Dex-chan lover
@DevLogger

Right, what might be caused and what it has already caused, so not just the future but also considerations of the past. Again, same with every other slur, there is a historical context behind them.

And indeed any proposed solution would require a deep breath, because it's not a simple one-step solution. It's a multi-step solution that has already progressed through some of the initial steps already, which involves but is not limited to:

1) Education (the past) and awareness (the present)
2) Socially refraining from usage, and overall cultural change to use alternative words
3) Undoing generalization of the word for decreased scope of use at lower volume
4) Enforcing a usage ban in appropriate contexts

Again, this is the same with every other slur. I really hope I don't have to outline specific examples of this, because this process has occurred for pretty much every slur I can think of.

Supporter
@AnacondaHL: I appreciate the consideration and detail that you have purposed on this topic. Have you ever heard of the Streisand Effect, or more specifically, the Hydra Paradox? In this case, number "1" should be the only one; all other roads lead to perdition. What would an appropriate term for someone who fits the aforementioned, recognized definition of "trap"?

Dex-chan lover
Really, the problem I have with "trap is a slur" is unlike other slurs, trap is very heavily dependent on context and everyone seems to willingly ignore that. No I won't stop using trap, I never even call a trans person a trap.

Users who are viewing this thread