A Private Story on Third Street - Vol. 2 Ch. 16

The author talked about the loss of organized Western martial arts styles, but can we talk about the Middle East loss of technological knowledge?

If the countries of the Middle East had not lost their Segway or giant boomerang Tech, where might the world be now?

If the Azteca's had been able to pass on the secrets to rubber band sling shots and the unicycle, the Western Hemisphere would look vastly different.

Imagine colonies on Mars and free energy across the globe. That's the real tragedy of how things can be lost to time.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter. It got me with "thanks to all that running I did in school". It's so true, in no time you become a slug with no stamina.
Also, "crusaaaaade!!!". Yeah. Gunpowder era made a lot of things to be forgotten. Diminishing and then disappearing armor and weapons mutated into rapiers, fencing adapted for 1 on 1 dueling...what a shame, they lost a lot when they stopped doing those mass melee free-for-all brawls
It's always nice to see pochtecatl in her bird helmet ^-^
Warrior's smartphone code is hilarious too. Each rule has a story behind its invention)

Don't bully the nord!

Dex-chan lover
@BCS The general female form stayed the same. But being chubby back then was considered as healthy, which makes sense.

Dex-chan lover
....it's a permanent mindbreak for Viking-chan, huh

@ayujih To be fair, knowing how history goes, won't that also means wars in larger scale? Free energy for example, won't exactly go "Hey, here's free energy, let's share it to everyone". There will be someone that tries to monopolize it, which then have someone tries to overthrow that person and may even made another tyranny again.

What I'm trying to say is.... maybe, just maybe, our timeline is the best outcome.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Oured you reposted what I said but ripped out historical context and progression.
why would you do that?

Dex-chan lover
@reu Further detailed my point that spears outdo swords in battles and very often in duels due to the simple fact of greater range. Swords were usually considered sidearms for backup unless they were two-handed battlefield weapons like zweihanders.

Poor Viking. :(

@BCS Don't know if it's a troll... Not only is it provably true that beauty standards change throughout cultures and history, but they also vary between subcultures within a larger culture. u_u Like color, clothes or whatever preferences, there's a huge cultural part at play.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Oured Ever heard of the roman-macedonian wars? They're different tools with different roles on the battlefield, you'd never see a knight with a spear, not only because of his status but also because of his role.
Lindybeige recently put out a video on spears and their battlefield use explaining it better than I ever could, go watch it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XuhoFszfe8 - Tldw: "At no time was I killed by the guy I was fighting, I was always killed by someone else" and "once you're close the spear is a "liability"

Dex-chan lover
@reu I have. If I remember correctly, the Romans defeated the Macedonians by circling around and attacking their formations from the back, such as in Cynoscephalae, and later on due to neglect of Alexander's successors who failed to deploy phalanxes effectively on uneven ground, leaving gaps in their formations. It should be noted that when the Phalanx was properly deployed, it was capable of defeating the Roman Legion. The triumphs of Pyrrhus of Epirus and the early victories of Hannibal prove that.

For a more "recent" example, refer to units such as the Forlorn Hope of the Landsknecht and their repeated defeats against Swiss pikemen. Pairing a shield with a spear is fit for the battlefield, and it does its job. Naturally a formation will have a sword wielder will be hit by one of the many spears to his flanks, and if one breaks through the first line, there's the second, and the third, and so on. Lindybeige also has a video detailing how a sword fares against a spear in single combat where there are no formations and no shields, with the spear wielder winning double the matches. He also details in the video around 20:40 you linked that the spear is a liability once you get close, which was very unlikely since armies battled for hours, poking one another from a distance with their spears instead of charging through and drawing their short weapons.

Fed-Kun's army
Sad, that so much cultural and historical knowledge was lost after the colonization of the Americas and so much writing and documentation just wiped out through fanaticism and ignorance.

Between illnesses, cultural indoctrination, etc so much oral history, and even the way of reading certain artifacts, was lost and forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread