A Story About Becoming Cooler Than the Cool Girl (Pre-Serialization) - Ch. 8 - Cool Girl and Indirect Kiss

Double-page supporter
Can someone explain to me why a cool girl needs to look like a guy? Don't get me wrong, I love the setup where I guy thinks a girl is out of his league but she already likes him. I'm just wondering about this particular character trope as I've seen it in other manga as well.
As far as I can tell, Ibuki hasn’t been feeling a “need” to be cool at all, she just is. She doesn’t make an extra effort to be masculine—she just is, and people give her attention. She doesn’t seem to crave that attention or even want it, but is resigned to the fact that people will only ever see her as “the cool girl” except for Tomo, who actually cares about Ibuki.

Also, Ibuki is not out of Tomo’s league. He is clearly a very good person and supportive friend. Ibuki notices this and I’m sure this is why she’s got a bit of a crush on him.

As far at the trope about masculine women. I have read several manga about masculine women like Kisaragi-San has a piercing gaze, in the clear moonlit dusk, and this one. I don’t know what you’ve read, but in what I’ve read none of these women change themselves. They are masculine women but the manga is cute because they find a guy who accepts their unconventional looks and nature and realizes how cool they are. It‘a not so much that a cool girl needs to look like a man, but the author wrote a good character who also looks boyish. Also, we have tooooo many shoujo (and even more shounen) about cute girls, we need tomboy representation. As someone with masculine leanings myself I really love these stories because it shows there are men out there that value something other than conventionally feminine traits.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This couple has such dearly interactions. I can't, both of them are too precious.

This manga makes it feel like im reading BL and i dont know how to feel rn

Can someone explain to me why a cool girl needs to look like a guy? Don't get me wrong, I love the setup where I guy thinks a girl is out of his league but she already likes him. I'm just wondering about this particular character trope as I've seen it in other manga as well.
Something I noticed from anime, manga, and games is that Japan seems to separate cool to describe boys/men, and cute to describe girls/women. An example is in animal crossing how its used to pick your gender in the game. Its just a cultural thing. So cool = handsome/manly and cute = girly

Sorry, I know everyone already answered it but I thought I would share what I have learned so far. Hope I helped somewhat.

Dex-chan lover
Do not shame other users for their sexual preference.
the cool girl needs to look like a guy because i am bisexual and i’m into it

but also isn’t this specific trope a specific “prince” trope where she’s noted as being attractive to (ostensibly straight) girls? she needs to look like a guy to pull that off, and the central concept of this manga happens to be that kind of Prince also being a straight girl in a romance (with an “inferior” guy, no less, inasmuch as she’s “a better guy than him” in the eyes of her straight girl fans). It’s just having fun questioning assumptions and creating unusual but interesting dynamics i think.

i wouldn’t be surprised if the prince character trope stems from all-girl schools where the most guylike girls would logically be popular as an “approximation” of a guy. One could also potentially see a “girl who looks like a guy” as an improvement on a guy if one likes the looks of guys but sees guys as unempathetic. just spitballing here.

girls can be cool in girly ways they doesn't need to look like dudes to look cool lol. but that's just personal my opinion.

also you need help. being bisexual isn't something to be proud of.

3867-keku.png

edit: 🗿

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread